3 year birthday present ideas?

Old June 25th 04, 05:55 PM
Mary W.

Default 3 year birthday present ideas?

Lil Nicky's Mom wrote:

If you're thinking about large water toys, get the Waterworks from Discovery
Toys or Brio (they're the same thing). Brio has a few different models, with
some larger and more features. It's a water canal you put together and it
has little boats and cranes and pumps that you play with. It's a hit with my
2.5 yo and his friends, actually some of my friends can't keep their hands
off it when they bring their kids over.
You're going to end up with so many ideas, now the only question is which
one to buy!

OK, this looks pretty neat. DD may be getting a 4th of July present!

Mary

Old June 25th 04, 09:08 PM
Irene

(OJ) wrote in message om...
(Irene) wrote in message . com...
Ds will be turning 3 in a few weeks, and I have no idea what to get
him, not to mention giving ideas to relatives (who are starting to ask
- I don't suggest gifts to people who aren't asking!) It seems like
he has most things already, and since we've already been letting him
play with things with small pieces, I'm not sure what else gets to be
a new thing. He's got a tricycle (ok at it, but has a hard time on
the gentle slopes that are like hills to him). He's got a sandbox and
oodles of toys for it, bats & balls of all types, toy vehicles of all
types it seems, an easel and related art stuff, a toy kitchen, blocks.
Little People - lots of those. (Probably tons more things I'm
missing) He hates dressup.

What am I missing? Just about the only thing I can think of is a
taller basketball hoop. Or, more vehicles - but that's just more of
the same, as far as I'm concerned. Or books & videos.

Any ideas?

Irene

Hi,

"Bag of glass" (SNL skit :).

How about Rescue Heroes? My son loves them, and I think he's been
playing with them since about 3 1/2. Or that GeoTrax playset.

Oddly enough, we were at Target today & ds fell in love with a Geo
Trax fire rescue set. I got it, on condition he doesn't get it until
his party. ;-) I will probably get some track for it, too. At least
the sets are more affordable than adding onto his wooden Thomas set!
(gift from MIL)

Irene
Old June 26th 04, 01:45 AM
Carole MacDonald

(Irene) wrote in message . com...
Ds will be turning 3 in a few weeks, and I have no idea what to get
him, not to mention giving ideas to relatives (who are starting to ask

We're in the same boat - Alex turns 3 in 4 weeks. Some ideas we've
come up with:

New Magna Doodle (he's used his mini magna doodle so much it doesn't
erase any more)
Wooden puzzles (Originally were looking at Melissa & Doug, but now
will probably get something from
www.smarterkids.com)
Lincoln Logs
Color wood blocks
Vacuum cleaner
Fisher-Price View Master
Food/kitchen toys

We're taking a scouting trip to Toy's R Us this weekend (without him)
to get more ideas.

Good luck!
Old June 26th 04, 05:52 AM
Nikki

Irene wrote:
"Nikki"
Lunch box w/strap - no kidding, lol.

I'm not sure if he'd know what one is.

It has had many uses!!. It started out as a purse. I was sort of glad they
decided it was a tool box before they got home so I wouldn't have to see dh
grimace, lol. We pack sandwiches and water for the beach or park and they
love having their own lunch box or 'cooler'.

Great ideas, Nikki! I bet our boys would have lots of fun together!

Thanks. Yes, I think they *would* have fun together. It sounds like they
have a lot of the same interests. We don't know anyone with same age kids
so they are sort of stuck with each other. They have fun but Hunter is
anxious for kindergarten to start. I don't know what I'll find for Luke to
do if he doesn't have daycare this fall.

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (5) and Luke (3)

Old June 27th 04, 03:54 AM
Irene

(Carole MacDonald) wrote in message . com...
(Irene) wrote in message . com...
Ds will be turning 3 in a few weeks, and I have no idea what to get
him, not to mention giving ideas to relatives (who are starting to ask

We're in the same boat - Alex turns 3 in 4 weeks. Some ideas we've
come up with:

New Magna Doodle (he's used his mini magna doodle so much it doesn't
erase any more)

Another good idea - I keep forgetting about those.

Wooden puzzles (Originally were looking at Melissa & Doug, but now
will probably get something from
www.smarterkids.com)

Strangely. not a big puzzle kid.

Lincoln Logs
Color wood blocks

For us, those are a little hazardous, since he mainly likes to knock
down block towers, and we have a new baby who can't defend herself!
He has a set of foam blocks that we love - cool shapes, and little
damage when they go flying! I just hope dd doesn't want to eat
them...

Vacuum cleaner
Fisher-Price View Master
Food/kitchen toys

Ds likes those, too.

Irene
Old June 27th 04, 04:10 AM
Irene

"Mary W." wrote in message ...
Lil Nicky's Mom wrote:

If you're thinking about large water toys, get the Waterworks from Discovery
Toys or Brio (they're the same thing). Brio has a few different models, with
some larger and more features. It's a water canal you put together and it
has little boats and cranes and pumps that you play with. It's a hit with my
2.5 yo and his friends, actually some of my friends can't keep their hands
off it when they bring their kids over.
You're going to end up with so many ideas, now the only question is which
one to buy!

OK, this looks pretty neat. DD may be getting a 4th of July present!

Mary

That looks very cool, but where do you put it? I would think indoors,
it would make a mess, and outdoors, it would be a good mosquito
breeding spot...

Irene
Old June 27th 04, 04:19 AM
Irene

toto wrote in message . ..
On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 07:20:01 GMT, "Lil Nicky's Mom"
wrote:

If you're thinking about large water toys, get the Waterworks from Discovery
Toys or Brio (they're the same thing). Brio has a few different models, with
some larger and more features. It's a water canal you put together and it
has little boats and cranes and pumps that you play with. It's a hit with my
2.5 yo and his friends, actually some of my friends can't keep their hands
off it when they bring their kids over.
You're going to end up with so many ideas, now the only question is which
one to buy!

That is the truth! I started this thread while looking around the
family room and dreading more clutter - now I want to get him a ton of
stuff, and I know I can't get it all, even with help from friends &
family who ask for a wish list! ;-)

Another good toy for this age is marble works, if you don't want to
deal with water.

Alas, with ds and a new baby, I also don't want to deal with marbles -
projectile hazard and choking hazards, all in one toy! ;-)

Irene
Old June 27th 04, 04:23 AM
Tori M.

That is the truth! I started this thread while looking around the
family room and dreading more clutter -

Maybe part of his birthday celebration should be to pack up some of the old,
underused toys and give them to the salvation army or good will. Just an
idea.. I need to do this soon but I have major Guilt problems with getting
rid of things people give to us.. I am a weirdo though

Tori

--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Anna or Xavier due 10/17/04

Old June 27th 04, 04:25 AM
Tori M.

That looks very cool, but where do you put it? I would think indoors,
it would make a mess, and outdoors, it would be a good mosquito
breeding spot...

Nah not if you emptied it regularly and kept it from getting stale! Just
treat it like you would a kids pool.

Tori

--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Anna or Xavier due 10/17/04

Old June 27th 04, 04:29 AM
Irene

"Nikki" wrote in message ...
Irene wrote:
"Nikki"
Lunch box w/strap - no kidding, lol.

I'm not sure if he'd know what one is.

It has had many uses!!. It started out as a purse. I was sort of glad they
decided it was a tool box before they got home so I wouldn't have to see dh
grimace, lol.

I can just imagine, lol. I'm guessing this was an impulse purchase
and not a planned gift! Ds hasn't played purse, but he does use
baskets to carry stuff around the house. Not so much, anymore. His
favorite basket for a while used to have bath stuff in it...He also
has a couple of backpacks, which came with paint/playdoh.

Great ideas, Nikki! I bet our boys would have lots of fun together!

Thanks. Yes, I think they *would* have fun together. It sounds like they
have a lot of the same interests. We don't know anyone with same age kids
so they are sort of stuck with each other. They have fun but Hunter is
anxious for kindergarten to start. I don't know what I'll find for Luke to
do if he doesn't have daycare this fall.

We have lots of kids around, but only girls his age. The boys just a
few years older mostly don't want to play with him, so I'm hoping
he'll make a bunch of friends at pre-school before he decides he
doesn't want to play with girsl! But if you're ever in the Chicago
area, be sure to let me know! (more likely than us in SD?)

Irene