Child injured when teen crashes stolen car

Old November 23rd 04, 09:17 PM
michele

Default Child injured when teen crashes stolen car

I thought it was illegal to have anyone, regardless of age, on another
persons lap in a car? Or maybe it's a State law here.

"Tracey" wrote in message
om...

"Chip McDonald" wrote in message
LeMod Pol wrote:

This is a good case for the compulsory safety equipment
so many of you deride - LP

Child injured when teen crashes stolen car

A 4-year-old girl was critically injured after an
underage driver stole a car, ran a stop sign and
crashed into a vehicle carrying the child and four others.

Authorities said a 13-year-old boy hot-wired a white
Buick Century, then ran a stop sign and hit a Geo Metro
driven by 33-year-old Latonya D. Smalls shortly after 5
p.m. Sunday.

Small's 16-year-old daughter, Jatara Ward, was sitting
in the passenger seat with 4-year-old sister, Janeya
Mitchell, on her lap, and Smalls' brothers -
15-year-old Jonathan Ward and 13-year-old Marquis Ward
- were in the back seat.

What kind of moron puts a 4 year old in the passenger seat (with another
person no less). Seat belts are designed for ONE person, not two, and it
says all over the visor in most all cars (except really old ones) that
'children under the age of twelve should not sit in the front seat' or
something of that nature because of the air bag. Its just NOT safe to put

4 year old int eh front seat. The mother should get cited for Risk of
Injury to a Minor.

Old November 23rd 04, 09:47 PM
dragonlady

In article , "michele"
wrote:

I thought it was illegal to have anyone, regardless of age, on another
persons lap in a car? Or maybe it's a State law here.

So is stealing a car. People do illegal (and stupid) things all the
time.

However, unless I'm mistaken, a Geo Metro is a 4 passenger car. I'd
wonder why they were driving with 5 people in the car, which makes a
seatbelt apiece impossible. I've asked from time to time what the
safest thing to do is in those circumstances; I suspect I'd put the 16
yo in the back seat with the 4 yo, but I don't know. I hope this family
didn't drive this car all the time, but was, for some reason, stuck
driving a car that was not big enough for them.

LeMod Pol wrote:

[...]

News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 100,000
Newsgroups