Why does this bother me? (re - breastfeeding)

Old June 11th 04, 05:15 AM
Naomi Pardue

Default Why does this bother me? (re - breastfeeding)

Well, I hate spaghetti-strap dresses, and I swear that's all my local Target
has this year in sizes larger than 3. Last year they had better styles. But
then again, different Target stores have different stock, too, so maybe I
would buy what you have at your local target, but I won't at mine.

Our Target (and K-Mart too) has very few dresses at all this year, and nothing
that I would see Shaina in. We also couldn't find her shorts this summer in
the girl's department. Had to go to the boy's to find shorts that actually had
legs that went beyond the crotch!

Thank God for sewing machines.

(She doesn't like short shorts (or skirts) and nor do I. Also, her middle
school for next year has a dress code and doesn't allow them. (Skirts/shorts
have to be longer than the middle of the fingers. No midriff or bare back tops,
no spagetti straps, no low-riding slacks (waist-band at the waist, and no
underwear showing), and, of course, no profanity/pro-drug messages, and no
hats/scarves.)

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

reply.)
Old June 11th 04, 05:37 AM
Naomi Pardue

Personally I think so too. An only child IMO gets an unrealistic amount of
attention. The real world isn't like that. Kids with siblings at least
learn patience and sharing from the get-go.

YMMV. Shaina is an only child. I don't think she gets an 'unrealistic' amount
of attention. In fact, the most noticible thing about her that can be
attributed to her siblingless status is that she is very independent; prefers
to play by herself. She's also quite comfortable with adults (though I've
noticed that she is shyer now than she was when younger). And she is very
generous with her time/possessions and always has been.

Old June 11th 04, 11:19 PM
Naomi Pardue

Just out of curiosity - does that ban include head scarves for Muslim
girls? (I'm thinking of the French ban, and wondering if it has
spread...)

It doesn't specify, but I would assume that any sort of religious-based head
covering (scarves for Muslim girls, kippot for Jewish boys) would be permitted.
(The rationale for the ban is, presumably, to avoid gang-related head-gear --
though gangs are not a huge issue here yet.)

Old June 12th 04, 02:10 AM
Gillian

#1 hasn't really nursed since just before Christmas. She's got chicken pox
and woke up last night crying cause she was itchy. I offered her calpol and
she accepted, then said in a pathetic voice. "now a bit of mummy milk will
just make me better".
It was strange feeding a toddler after a baby!
Debbie

Supposedly the foremilk has some analgesic properties.
Gillian
Old June 12th 04, 04:43 AM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Naomi Pardue wrote:
Just out of curiosity - does that ban include head scarves for Muslim
girls? (I'm thinking of the French ban, and wondering if it has
spread...)

It doesn't specify, but I would assume that any sort of religious-based head
covering (scarves for Muslim girls, kippot for Jewish boys) would be permitted.
(The rationale for the ban is, presumably, to avoid gang-related head-gear --
though gangs are not a huge issue here yet.)

I don't get it. Why don't they just ban gang related clothing? Seems
rather odd to ban entire lines of clothing! Hats are an important way
of keeping warm in the winter and sunstroke free in the summer.
Personally I don't wear hats at all but I use scarves a lot. I would
probably get expelled from a school like that. ;-)

Old June 12th 04, 05:09 AM
Ericka Kammerer

Vicky Bilaniuk wrote:

I don't get it. Why don't they just ban gang related clothing? Seems
rather odd to ban entire lines of clothing!

Because when/if it becomes a problem, it tends to
be very difficult to single out the problematic items.

Hats are an important way
of keeping warm in the winter and sunstroke free in the summer.
Personally I don't wear hats at all but I use scarves a lot.

I don't know what the situation is at Naomi's
school, but typically a ban on hats/scarves does not
apply to outdoor apparel. It applies to what is worn
when the kids are inside, in class. I rather doubt
that a school would prohibit a winter hat in a cold
climate!

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old June 12th 04, 06:10 AM
Tori M.

I don't get it. Why don't they just ban gang related clothing? Seems
rather odd to ban entire lines of clothing! Hats are an important way
of keeping warm in the winter and sunstroke free in the summer.
Personally I don't wear hats at all but I use scarves a lot. I would
probably get expelled from a school like that. ;-)

I imagine that the ban is just for indoor use. The school I went to had a
no hats rule that was only for Sports caps and winter hats worn all day in
the hallways and classes. They said it was a distraction from learning or
something like that. Just like the no "substance" tee shirts and the coed
naked shirts were banned.

Tori

--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Anna or Xavier due 10/17/04

Old June 12th 04, 02:49 PM
Naomi Pardue

I have a negative chance of having breast cancerg

Stephanie
mom to 7
17, 15, 12, 8, 6, 3 and 1

But insanity would get you first anyway ... ;-)

Naomi
Old June 12th 04, 02:56 PM
Naomi Pardue

I don't get it. Why don't they just ban gang related clothing?

Probably because it's hard to know what items are gang-related or what aren't?
(I mean, if a girl is wearing a bandana, does it mean that she didn't have a
chance to wash her hair that morning (MY favorite trick when I was in high
school...), or that she thinks it's pretty, or that she's running with a gang
that uses banadanas as a signal?)

Seems
rather odd to ban entire lines of clothing! Hats are an important way
of keeping warm in the winter and sunstroke free in the summer.

Oh, you can wear them en-route to school and out of doors. Just not in the
classroom. (Same for any outdoor wear. No 'outside' coats in the classroom
either.)

Here's the link if you're interested.

http://www.jackson.mccsc.edu/dresscode.htm

Naomi