EMERGENCY baby now losing weight

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 18th 03, 06:25 AM
Clisby Williams

Default EMERGENCY baby now losing weight

Anne Rogers wrote:

After not being weighed for a few weeks last Monday my baby weighed 8lb
13.5oz aged 10 weeks 5 days. Today aged 11 weeks 5 days he was reweighed
on the same scales he weighed 8lb 11.5 oz, a weight loss of 2oz in a week.

This week I have been eating well (oat meal for breakfast) and feeding him
as much as possible, usually every 2 hours, at least every 3 hours,
except for one longer sleep of 4-7 hours. My latch has been checked and
everything seems fine. He was checked by a ped last week after we found
blood in his nappy, she seemed to think it was from his foreskin.

The health visitor is now very concerned, I have until Thursday for him to
start gaining weight before she recommends we give him 1 bottle of formula
per day, I do not want to do this, but equally I do not want to harm his
long term development.

He seems to be a happy sociable baby, some fussiness when he is hungry,
needs a nappy change, or gets over stimulated, he doesn't sleep that much,
probably around 12 hours per day. He sleeps in his own room.

I feel terrible about this, I am desperate to breastfeed him exclusively
for 6 months I firmly believe breast is best and feel a failure as a
mother that I do not seem to be giving him enough for him to grow.

Anne Rogers

Has he been checked for a UTI?

Clisby