Decisions on strings class

Old August 28th 03, 11:06 PM
Robin

Default Decisions on strings class

My 4th grader just came home with the information sheet on strings
class. We need to decide whether to sign him up, and if so, for what
instrument.

Our school district has a strong music program, and all the 3rd
graders get Suzuki training in violin, so he's had that. He didn't
seem terribly excited by the Suzuki class, and at the end of the year
last year said he didn't want to continue. I wasn't too distressed;
violins sound pretty bad in the hands of beginners, so he didn't get
much personal reward from the activity, and I figured he'd have a shot
at a different instrument when band becomes available (I think that's
5th grade). But I was stunned today when he came home with the strings
information and informed us that yes, he did want to sign up. And
actually seemed enthusiastic about it. There may be another factor
he's not telling us (maybe a friend is in it? maybe he'll get out of
some less desirable activity during the twice-weekly strings classes?)
but I don't feel the need to probe too far. DH and I are happy to see
him interested, and happy to encourage it. (Background: I played flute
in school, DH played trumpet, and we both had piano. We're both still
musical, and DH sings in a choir. We have a piano. We haven't been
able to afford piano lessons for the kids yet, but we've helped them
work through some beginner books, and they've mastered basics on
reading music.)

As a plus, the strings teacher will be different from the Suzuki
teacher; she was OK, but he didn't care for her much, and I think that
contributed to his feelings about the class last year.

We went over the obligations/requirements laid out in the brochure --
daily practice (min. 15 minutes if he makes the most of the time),
responsibility for the instrument, commitment for a full year, etc. We
were given a list of local rental agencies that I will need to
research (I think renting will be smarter for us now than buying an
instrument he may not want to stick with). That leaves us with a
significant decision: What instrument? He can choose violin, viola, or
cello. (String bass requires clearance from the teacher, and I think
is reserved for more experienced students.) He has no preference.

I'd be grateful for any input on instrument choice and other factors I
don't know enough to ask about. Cost is definitely a consideration. We
were given a list of specs and accessories he will need (books, music
stand, rosin, etc.) so this won't come cheap. Size will probably also
be an issue -- he's a skinny, lanky 10yo, all arms and legs, but not
among the tallest in the class. I don't know how the instruments
compare in ease of playing, care, manageability for a child of this
age, and I'd like to make the choice that gives him the best chance of
success.

Yes, I'll be talking with the strings teacher, possibly as early as
tonight (open house), but I'd still like input from elsewhere.

TIA,

Robin

Old August 29th 03, 12:25 AM
Laura Faussone

Robin wrote:

My 4th grader just came home with the information sheet on strings
class. We need to decide whether to sign him up, and if so, for what
instrument.

If he has to bring the instrument to and from school on the bus, I'd
probably recommend the violin or the viola. The cello can be unwieldy.
Otherwise, I think he could *probably* handle any of the three. If he's
interested in the cello, have him sit down with one to make sure it's not
too big for him.

Laura

Old August 29th 03, 12:55 AM
Elizabeth Gardner

In article ,
(Robin) wrote:

I'd be grateful for any input on instrument choice and other factors I
don't know enough to ask about. Cost is definitely a consideration. We
were given a list of specs and accessories he will need (books, music
stand, rosin, etc.) so this won't come cheap. Size will probably also
be an issue -- he's a skinny, lanky 10yo, all arms and legs, but not
among the tallest in the class. I don't know how the instruments
compare in ease of playing, care, manageability for a child of this
age, and I'd like to make the choice that gives him the best chance of
success.

Here's what little I know about strings, from string players I know:

Violin: Everyone plays it, so there will always be a lot of competition
Viola: Hardly anyone plays it, so those who do are beloved by
conductors. Richer sound than violin. Not a lot of solo opportunities.
Cello (which I played briefly in grade school): Gorgeous sound and you
always get to sit down, but a bit of a pain schlep around.
Bass: Also somewhat rare; most potential for someday playing in a jazz
band, and my brother (who played string bass in grade school and plays
in a rock band now) says the fingering translates nicely to electric
bass. Big lifestyle choice, because all travel arrangements, vehicle
selection, etc., are made with the bass in mind.

A violist I know says that when string players get serious, there are
certain types of hands that are better for one string instrument or
another (I guess flexibility or tightness of joints is an issue), but I
doubt that's an issue at the grade school level.

HTH.

Old August 29th 03, 06:58 PM
Chris Smith

chiam margalit wrote:
My niece does cello, has since 4th grade. She's starting college this
week!

They make smaller cellos, and they have backpack cases that make
lugging the thing around no more difficult than a big guitar.

Just a random experience to sha about four or five months ago, I went
to a performance of our local youth symphony. There was an 8-year-old
girl who played cello in one of the younger groups. She had a VERY nice
cello, and she carried it by grabbing the neck and *dragging* it across
the floor, making very loud thumping noises as it hit the edge of each
floor tile.

Made more than a few people cringe.

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation

Old September 15th 03, 02:31 PM
Michael Hamm

On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 16:56:20 EDT, Irene wrote, in
part, comparing which string instrument to learn:
Cello is beautiful - that's what I really wanted

Yes. I know next to nothing about (making) music, but if I could play one
instrument (I can't), it would be the cello. The sound is just so
beautiful.

(I do assume you mean the sound when you write of its beauty.)

Michael Hamm
BA scl Math, PBK, NYU

http://www.math.wustl.edu/~msh210/