insurance and medicaid

Old March 16th 07, 12:08 AM posted to alt.child-support
Chris[_3_]

Default insurance and medicaid

My ex keeps using medicaid even though the child has insurance and
always has. Now medicaid is trying to get payment from my insurance.
My insurance company wants more info like: doctors tax id and what the
service was for. Has anyone ever had to deal with this kind of thing
before? Will Medicaid come after me once the insurance is done paying?
If anyone has delt with it before how did they contact you and what
all did you have to do to start paying? Did you need to fill anything
out? Should I call them to figure out what's going on?
This seems to be out of hand.
Also my ex was in rehab should I have been contacted at that point
about the care of the child? Is a CP still allowed to keep the child
when the parent is is rehab?

Old March 16th 07, 12:39 AM posted to alt.child-support
John Meyer

Chris wrote:
My ex keeps using medicaid even though the child has insurance and
always has. Now medicaid is trying to get payment from my insurance.
My insurance company wants more info like: doctors tax id and what the
service was for. Has anyone ever had to deal with this kind of thing
before? Will Medicaid come after me once the insurance is done paying?
If anyone has delt with it before how did they contact you and what
all did you have to do to start paying? Did you need to fill anything
out? Should I call them to figure out what's going on?
This seems to be out of hand.

Go ahead and call them. Medicaid is insurance of "the last resort", so
if she's billing them without using what is there, I think Uncle Sam
might want to have a little chat about insurance fraud.
Now, does your divorce settlement have any language about
"non-necessary" medical care. Personally I'm in much the same situation
that you are, and should they TRY to (which I doubt), it's going to be a
very simple argument; I wasn't consulted, the treatment wasn't
necessary, go after the mother.

Old March 16th 07, 02:41 AM posted to alt.child-support
Bob Whiteside

"Chris" wrote in message
oups.com...
My ex keeps using medicaid even though the child has insurance and
always has. Now medicaid is trying to get payment from my insurance.
My insurance company wants more info like: doctors tax id and what the
service was for. Has anyone ever had to deal with this kind of thing
before? Will Medicaid come after me once the insurance is done paying?
If anyone has delt with it before how did they contact you and what
all did you have to do to start paying? Did you need to fill anything
out? Should I call them to figure out what's going on?
This seems to be out of hand.
Also my ex was in rehab should I have been contacted at that point
about the care of the child? Is a CP still allowed to keep the child
when the parent is is rehab?

Google Medicaid Fraud Control Unit and add the appropriate state name. They
should have a toll-free number to call to get your questions answered.

Also check what your court order says about healthcare coverage. It most
likely only covers healthcare for minor children and how your coverage
should apply. It should have nothing to do with your ex's healthcare.

On the rehab issue - If your ex has sole custody, she can make decisions
about the children's residence, healthcare, education, and religious
practices. That would most likely mean she can make temporary arrangements
for the care and maintenance of the children while she is in rehab.

Old March 16th 07, 10:35 PM posted to alt.child-support
Chris[_3_]

Go ahead and call them. Medicaid is insurance of "the last resort", so
if she's billing them without using what is there, I think Uncle Sam
might want to have a little chat about insurance fraud.
Now, does your divorce settlement have any language about
"non-necessary" medical care. Personally I'm in much the same situation
that you are, and should they TRY to (which I doubt), it's going to be a
very simple argument; I wasn't consulted, the treatment wasn't
necessary, go after the mother.

Do you know if the Division of Health Services with Medicaid work with
the child support unit?
The divorce settlement does say I have to provide Insurance for the
child. It's always been there and the mother keeps using the medicaid
card for the child so she does not have to pay any of the bill.
How can a mother keep child custody if she is in rehab? Is that not a
crime to have been busted for drugs??? I don't get why the state does
not try and contact the fathers when something like that happens?
She acted as if all was well, I never knew anything was going on.
This is one messed up state and I bet everywhere is like that. It's
too bad that the mother's get away with it. They don't even make them
keep track what has been spent on the child. I think that needs to
change too.

Old March 16th 07, 11:39 PM posted to alt.child-support
John Meyer

Chris wrote:
[...]

That would mean that non custodial parents mattered, and we all know
about that.
I would assume you would have some mixed feelings watching this whole
"Britney Shears" episode play out in the news. Personally, I'm glad
that for once the media finds out that some mothers are just a little
kookoo for coco puffs. Too bad that they won't show that, were the
cameras not there, K-Fed would have been kicked to the curb, Brit would
have gotten the kids back, and they would have imputed Brit Brit's
income on K-Fed.
Old March 18th 07, 08:38 PM posted to alt.child-support
Bob Whiteside

"Chris" wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

Chris - I ran across this while searching for another topic.

My state collects money to offset the cost of public assistance programs
One of the ways they do that is through "Third-Party Recoveries." Under
this program the state seeks to ensure that Medicare or private insurers pay
medical coasts for citizens who qualify for coverage. It also recovers
payments made by the sate health plan in cases where Medicare or private
insurance should have paid. My state recovers about $5 million per year
under the Third-Party Recoveries program.

There is no mention in the recovery process of going after CS payers. It's
designed to collect over payments made to public assistance clients.

Old March 19th 07, 01:21 AM posted to alt.child-support
Chris[_3_]

If they are going after the insurance, (medicaid) must know that the
child had insurance to begin with. Right? Why would they not want the
insurance to pay first before they pay anything? I still can't get
over how messed up this is.

Old March 19th 07, 01:40 AM posted to alt.child-support
Chris[_3_]

thanks for this link, I'll go check it out.

Looking For Cheaper Insurance? Free Auto, Home, Life and Health Insurance Quotes. We Keep Your Information Safe! advisorsunset Single Parents 0 April 23rd 06 08:34 PM
medicaid Florida prebochano Pregnancy 2 August 13th 05 07:22 AM
Gov. Matt Blunt has proposed deep Medicaid cuts that could affect many in the Kirksville area who rely on Medicaid funding. wexwimpy Foster Parents 0 March 10th 05 04:53 PM
Medicaid in crisis wexwimpy Foster Parents 0 February 28th 05 04:44 PM
question about medicaid and insurance Bobbi Child Support 10 December 31st 03 03:45 AM