SIDS Genetic Link

Old August 19th 04, 10:35 PM
M,a,r,k P,r,o,b,e,r,t-August 19, 2004

Default SIDS Genetic Link

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...s_dc&printer=1

New Genetic Link Found to Crib Deaths

By Maggie Fox, Health and Science Correspondent

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A collection of genes involved in early development
may help explain why black babies are more at risk of sudden infant death
syndrome than other U.S. groups, researchers said on Thursday.

Yahoo! Health
Have questions about your health?
Find answers here.

The gene mutations may also help explain why thousands of U.S. infants still
succumb each year to SIDS, also known as crib death or cot death, despite
education campaigns that have cut the rate in half, the researchers said.

Dr. Debra Weese-Mayer, a professor of pediatrics at Rush University Medical
Center in Chicago, said the finding does not fully explain the unexpected
deaths of 3,000 U.S. infants a year, but helps explain some of the
underlying biology.

"For years everyone said SIDS was a mystery, but to me it is a puzzle and
each of our studies fits in another piece," Weese-Mayer said in a telephone
interview.

"This is one more critical piece of information that tells us we are on the
right path."

Writing in the September issue of Pediatric Research, Weese-Mayer and
colleagues at the University of Pittsburgh and elsewhere said they compared
genetic material from 92 SIDS cases to that of 92 healthy one-year-olds.

They looked specifically at genes involved in the development of the
autonomic nervous system, which controls breathing, heartbeat and other
involuntary functions.

"If you have dysregulation of the autonomic nervous system, possibly in a
stressful situation you don't have resiliency," she said. Heart rate and
breathing may not be able to adapt quickly and may simply shut down -- which
is what happens to SIDS babies.

SAME MUTATION

The researchers found 11 different mutations in 14 of the 92 SIDS cases but
only one mutation -- the same one -- in two of the 92 healthy babies.

"The curiosity is that 71 percent of the SIDS cases that had the mutation
were African-American and both controls (healthy babies that had it) were
African-American," she said.

"Knowing that the SIDS incidence is significantly higher in
African-Americans gives strong support for the possibility of a genetic
basis."

Other researchers have found different genes that may be involved in SIDS.

In July a team at the Translational Genomics Research Institute in Phoenix,
Arizona, found a new disorder in Amish families from Pennsylvania that
causes sudden infant death and sometimes malformation of the genitals.

In 2000 and 2001 researchers in the United States and Japan found a role for
the serotonin transporter gene promoter in the brainstems of SIDS victims.

While SIDS is a general term for unexplained infant deaths, doctors suspect
a variety of causes. U.S. and British campaigns to teach parents and
caretakers to have babies sleep on their backs cut SIDS deaths in half, but
did not eradicate them.

"We have had too many parents who came to us and said 'look, we did
everything right -- we got the best prenatal care, no one smoked anywhere
near the baby, we never put her down on her tummy and still she died,"'
Weese-Mayer said.

"That led us to say there has to be a genetic basis."

The tissue from the SIDS babies was donated anonymously, so Weese-Mayer says
she cannot tell if the gene mutations her team found run in families. She
hopes the government might sponsor a large study to see how common the
genetic mutations are in the population as a whole.

That will help determine whether the mutations actually cause SIDS, she
said.

Old August 20th 04, 02:34 PM
CWatters

Wow, it's more than just a "link".....

http://www.kcbd.com/Global/story.asp?S=2066614

Quote:

Researchers have uncovered what may be the first direct genetic link to why
some babies suffer from sudden death. Scientists at the Genomics Research
Institute say what they have found guarantees death in the first year of
life. "If an individual inherits two broken copies of gene, they will die
before their first birthday with 100% probability," says Dr. Dietrich A.
Stephan, SIDS researcher.

Old August 20th 04, 04:27 PM
M,a,r,k P,r,o,b,e,r,t-August 20, 2004

"CWatters" wrote in message
Wow, it's more than just a "link".....

http://www.kcbd.com/Global/story.asp?S=2066614

Quote:

Researchers have uncovered what may be the first direct genetic link to

why
some babies suffer from sudden death. Scientists at the Genomics Research
Institute say what they have found guarantees death in the first year of
life. "If an individual inherits two broken copies of gene, they will die
before their first birthday with 100% probability," says Dr. Dietrich A.
Stephan, SIDS researcher.

I guess that the anti-vac liars wil now have to move on and find another
scary thing to fearmonger over.

Old August 22nd 04, 05:44 AM
Jeff

"M,a,r,k P,r,o,b,e,r,t-August 21, 2004" M,a,r,k P,r,o,b,e,r,t
wrote in message
t...

"Jeff" wrote in message

"M,a,r,k P,r,o,b,e,r,t-August 20, 2004" M,a,r,k P,r,o,b,e,r,t
wrote in message
. net...

wrote in message

I guess that the anti-vac liars wil now have to move on and find

another
scary thing to fearmonger over.

Oh I am disapointed in you. I don't think this research suggests

that
ALL
(or even the majority of) cases of SID are caused by these genes. eg

It
doesn't preclude other causes like smoking.

I know. However, I never miss an opportunity to take a shot at the

anti-vac
liars. At leat we can now ask them to prove it was not genetic...

I think a lot of anti-vac people are not liars -- they are just

clueless,
like that idiot from whale to.

He has been shown how wrong his site is so many times, that he is both an
idiot and a liar.

Just because it was explained to John doesn't mean he understood.

John could argue that he has explained to us that vaccine are dangerous so
much that we are liars.

But perserverence does not equal truth.

The results also don't explain why kids who are put on their backs to

sleep
are less likely to die than those who sleep on their stomachs or why

kids
who parents smoke are less likely to see their first birthday.

In other words, a genetic component does not mean there things that can

be
done to prevent SIDS.

Agreed. Genetics can explain some SIDS, not all, but vaccines are not the
answer.

Sorry, I lost you. what do vaccines have to do with SIDS?

I was talking about not smoking around babies and putting them on their
backs to sleep. Not smoking and putting kids back to sleep have been shown
to preserve human life.

To my knowledge, vaccines have not been shown to affect the rate of SIDS
(although they have saved millions of lives and all but stoped polio,
measles, smallpox, rubella-related birth defects and other illnesses in the
US).

Jeff

Old August 22nd 04, 01:15 PM
Catherine Woodgold

"CWatters" ) writes:
Researchers have uncovered what may be the first direct genetic link to why
some babies suffer from sudden death. Scientists at the Genomics Research
Institute say what they have found guarantees death in the first year of
life. "If an individual inherits two broken copies of gene, they will die
before their first birthday with 100% probability," says Dr. Dietrich A.
Stephan, SIDS researcher.

I'm not convinced of that 100% probability. Nobody can predict the
future.

If the baby is able to live for a few months -- why shouldn't that
baby be able to live longer? Maybe the baby is deficient in certain
enzymes; well, maybe nutrients or other substances can be supplied
to the baby to keep the baby alive, as we supply insulin to
diabetics.

It wouldn't surprise me if babies with those genes would
live longer if they were given larger amounts of
vitamin C. (Maybe there's something else they need too.)

I believe that vitamin C deficiency is a major factor in SIDS.
(See the book "Every Second Child" by A. Kalokerinos.)
Dr. Kalokerinos found very high rates of SIDS in parts of
Australia where vitamin C was very deficient in the diet.

Vitamin C is needed by the body to produce neurotransmitters
such as serotonin from raw materials in the diet such as
tryptophan. If there's very little or no vitamin C in the
brain, the brain can't make serotonin etc. Without these
neurotransmitters the brain can't send messages, such as
messages to the heart and lungs to keep on breathing and
beating.

Most people don't get enough vitamin C for optimal health.
When a person has an illness such as a cold, they need much
larger amounts of vitamin C, because the immune system uses
up vitamin C when fighting the illness.

For more about vitamin C, I recommend the book
"How to Live Longer and Feel Better" by Linus Pauling.
--
Cathy