Boy/Girl Anatomy - Ack! They are asking!!!

Old June 24th 04, 01:35 AM
looneybird

Default Boy/Girl Anatomy - Ack! They are asking!!!

"Kender" wrote in message

I am looking forward to posts for more anatomy terms as my girls haven't
really ever asked yet.

--
Erin
Morgan and Megan 2/15/97

Wow! Your girls haven't asked yet? You are lucky! LOL

Old June 24th 04, 02:53 AM
Cindy Senger

Okay, I have all girls, so I'm not sure if that makes me really qualified to
answer or really unqualified-- no boys for them to ask about!! We've always
used the term "privates". As in, your private parts. I just can't bring
myself to say "vagina" either-- especially not as the name for the whole area.
I think I would be comfortable using the term in an explanation of sex, but
not what the whole area is or what "us girls" pee from! (Of course, when A&A
were smaller "privates" usually became "pawprints"-- too much Blue's Clues, I
guess. It was so funny to hear them say in the tub, "Mommy I washed my
pawprints!") Anyway, is vulva better? Its not really any more accurate,
though, is it? I didn't help at all, did I? I'm right there with ya, though!!

-Cindy (mom to Ashlyn and Allyson 6/99 and Jenna 6/03)

In article ,
says...

For all of you out there, especially with b/g twins, or b/g children period
I guess... here goes. I knew this dreaded day would come.

Charlie has known for over a year now that he pees from him penis. Around
that same time, also asked what Jenna had. So, we've just always kept it
simple by saying that "Boys have penises, and girls don't." He was always
satisfied with that answer. Then she started asking too, and we told her
the same thing. Pretty satisfied. Then it was "Do you have a penis,
Mommy?" "No, Mommy is a girl, so no penis." Satisfied.

Recently, Jenna has become frustrated with that answer and wants more
specifics. She'll say "No, Mommy... what is it (pointing to herself)
*called*?"

We decided early on that we weren't going to use baby talk (pee pee, winkie,
etc.) and decided to tell them both the correct term for their anatomical
parts. Penis was easy. I have a real problem with telling her that *her's*
is a vagina. We are absolutely *not* talking about her vagina, we are
talking about where her urine comes from, right?

So, I decided to tell her that it is her urethra. DH pointed out "Well, men
have urethras too." So I thought maybe "urethral *opening*? How's that
for a mouthful... especially for a 4 year old! Now she's been pointing to
it saying "This is my Aretha!"

What are some of the solutions you have used? Any advice? As flustered as
I probably sound in this post, I actually remain quite calm and usually
answer very matter of factly and divert their attention... "Yes, Charlie has
a penis and you have a urethra... You have a nose and so does Charlie!
What else do you have that Charlie has?" Oh... and she's been asking about
breasts. Up until now, I've just called it her chest. When she asks about
why mine is different, I just explain that girls chests grow as they get
older.

I'm obviously *not* ready for all this! LOL Someone help me!

Lynn (Mommy to Charlie and Jenna 8/30/00)

Old June 24th 04, 04:08 AM
Kender

I guess I am lucky. They've just never needed an exact word. I can't even
think about what I've said relating to it all. Evan seems more curious then
both of them!
Erin

Old June 24th 04, 04:18 AM
Megan Byrne

Well, at least you can say "penis", LOL, I'm even uncomfortable with
that! My guys are stilla little young, but I admit to being a horrible
mother and refer to both areas on my b/g twins a "pee pee". Sorry! I'm
anxious to hear what other posters say.

Megan~
Mommy to
Aidan & Alexis born 9/28/02