Is this allergic reaction?

Old September 18th 07, 07:16 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
nitu

Default Is this allergic reaction?

Hi Everyone,

My 15mth DD has food intolerance but for the first time she has a
reaction and i am wondering if it is an allergic reaction. We gave her
oat cereal with fruit on thursday, friday and she seemed fine. We
again gave her on saturday when she refused it and ate may be all of 4
or 5 mouthfulls around 8PM. When i took her for her diaper change i
noticed red bumps over her body and a few on her face. The next day
her cheeks seemed more redder and the spots on her body were still
there, if anything she had more of these on her body, hands and legs
as well. Her face still has the red bumps on her face and the bumps on
her body are still there but not so red. Could this be a reaction to
the oat cereal? I havent given her any oat cereal since saturday,
could an allergic reaction last this long (today is tuesday, so 3
days) or could it be something else?

Lastly, she started at a daycare last week and apparently there is
roseola going around but from everything i read, you are suppose to
have 2-3 days of very high fever before you break out with the rash
and even then the rash only lasts 1-2 days. My DD never had high
fevers, so i am thinking its not roseola.
Thanks,
Nitu

Old September 19th 07, 07:41 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Jolande

Hi Nitu,

My son had roseola, and he never had a fever with it, although it is
common for kids to get a fever before getting the spots. Also, his
spots lasted for about a week. I think roseola is harmless, I've
never heard anything horrible about it anyway.

As far as allergic reactions go, you can't be allergic to anything
unless you come into contact with it for at least the second time, so
as far as that goes, she might be allergic to the oats. However, I
think food intollerances usually show themselves differently than just
spots.

Have you changed washing detergents? Or maybe she's just intollerant
to the one you use.

I would go see the doctor just to be on the safe side, you never know
right.

All the best,

Jolande

Old September 20th 07, 03:49 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
nitu

Thank you for your response Jolande.

It was a relief to hear your son too had roseola without a fever and
the spot lasting a week. My DD's cheeks looked horrible the first 2-3
days, its getting better now but still not gone fully. The spots on
her body arent red anymore but are still there, hopefully they too
will be gone by the end of the week.

I am still not sure about the oat cereal reaction since she has had
oats before without any reaction and she has nutrios which are made
with oat and corn flour and has had no reaction in the past. I will
avoid the cereal for sometime just to be on the safe side but am
thinking of offering her the nutrios. I did see the pediatrician but
at that time i thought it was a reaction to the oats as i wasnt aware
of the roseola.

Thanks again,
Nitu

Old September 24th 07, 03:48 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
JJ

DS (now 14 months) has a whole bunch of food allergies, dairy,
peanuts, egg, wheat and soy. He had horrible eczema from birth, lots
of gas and BMs, and lots of weird rashes. I exclusively BF til about
5-6 months when we let him start solids. He was very into solids, and
we introduced stuff pretty fast. We finally figured it out after he
had hives to yogurt and hives to mac and cheese. It wasn't
consistent, after the first reaction to peach yogurt, I though it had
to be the annato, since he'd had plain yogurt a few times before and
after with no problem, and had had cheese without problems a few
times.

He hated it when I offered him egg, hated soy, and never really had
wheat or nuts. As a rule he loves food, so if he dislikes something,
it is a clue for me that there may be a problem.

At one point before I cut out his allergens, he had a rash I thought
was roseola without a fever. A good friend of mine is a dermatologist
and she said that you pretty much never have roseola without a fever,
and it's tough to miss the fever since it lasts a day or so and is
quite high.

We got him tested and it was high level positive. At the advice of the
allergist I cut all his allergens out of my diet and his, and his
eczema *disappeared* within a week.

Since then we had an accidental milk exposure and the reaction was
quite severe, requiring an epi pen, ER visit, etc...

So I wouldn't rule out food allergy, and it's probably wise to avoid
the suspect food for a while. Your pediatrician can do blood testing
(RAST) that measure the blood level of IgE to a variety of allergens.
Problem is, it's not always that accurate. A very high level might
indicate an increased risk of anaphylaxis, particularly if there are
other risk factors (asthma, eczema, family history) Skin testing is
even less accurate at this age. Also, if you are BFing, he could
have an allergic reaction the first time you feed him the solid.
Apparently, the amount of allergen that passes into the milk can vary
highly between women. DS was so sensitive to dairy in the end that if
I goofed, and ate a bite of something with butter in a restaurant,
he'd break out later.

Good luck. Talk to your pediatrician about testing. I demanded a
prescription for a pediatric epi-pen from our ped even before we
decided to go ahead with testing. It can't hurt to have one on
hand.

JJ

Allergic to yogurt? Laura Faussone General 83 August 9th 05 07:31 PM
Stepdaughter Allergic to Everything Kids Health 65 May 19th 05 05:42 AM
Allergic Reaction? Wendy Pregnancy 10 January 31st 05 12:54 PM
Allergic to mosquito's!!!???? KimandJuan Twins & Triplets 42 May 19th 04 06:09 PM