C-section - care package for recovery - suggestions?

Old January 18th 04, 03:07 AM
John

Default C-section - care package for recovery - suggestions?

Hi all-

I'm looking for some advice from some c-section veterans here - my wife
and I recently found out that she will have to undergo a c-section for
our second child on Tuesday, squashing any hopes of a VBAC. She didn't
take the news very well, especially since her first c-section recovery
did not go well at all (partially, IMO - because she did not get pain
medication for almost 4 hours after the surgery, with the nurses stating
the doctors hadn't prescribed any, and no doctor to be found).

I've covered the other bases (made sure she has adequate help after the
surgery, met with an anesthesiolgist to ensure proper pain medication,
spoke to her OB/GYN, etc.), and now I'm trying to put together a care
basket for her - hopefully, something that will assist her in her
recovery, and both occupy her and keep her comfy. I know - not much you
can put in a basket to accomplish this, in light of the circumstances,
but I'm trying.

Looking back - what do you wish you had when you were recovering from
your c-section? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
John Nervous
Old January 18th 04, 05:19 AM
HollyLewis

I've covered the other bases (made sure she has adequate help after the
surgery, met with an anesthesiolgist to ensure proper pain medication,
spoke to her OB/GYN, etc.), and now I'm trying to put together a care
basket for her - hopefully, something that will assist her in her
recovery, and both occupy her and keep her comfy. I know - not much you
can put in a basket to accomplish this, in light of the circumstances,
but I'm trying.

Looking back - what do you wish you had when you were recovering from
your c-section? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
John Nervous

It's mostly the adequate help at home afterwards that is crucial, since not
only caring for the baby but taking care of her own basic needs is likely to be
more difficult after a c-section than after a normal delivery. I can't imagine
how I would have coped if my mom hadn't stayed with us for a week and a half
and our friends hadn't organized to bring us dinner every other night for three
weeks.

But in terms of stuff to put in a basket....hm. Big water bottle, lots of
books and magazines, cordless phone, anything else you think she might use
while getting in and out of bed is a struggle -- stuff that will fit on her
nightstand, within reach. Fleece cardigan, to keep her warm when sitting up or
semireclined in bed. Big soft granny panties, if she isn't already wearing
them for pregnancy. (I wore my normal bikini undies, under the belly, during
pg but after DS was born, the waistband of those hit exactly on my incision.
Ouch. Sent Mom out for some big cotton briefs.) Lots of pillows, of different
thicknesses, to help her find a comfy position in bed and to provide a cushion
between her incision and the baby when she's nursing or just cuddling. Wound
care cleanser, if her doctors think it would be helpful and the hospital
doesn't provide it. (Regular soap may sting the incision, but she may feel
that using just water doesn't clean it well enough.) Regular ibuprofen, which
she can probably continue to use after the prescription strength meds she
brings home from the hospital are gone (check with the doc, of course).

And, of course, whatever you think was, or would have been, most useful or
comforting to her after the birth of your first child. Since this isn't the
first time for you, you already have a good idea of what general post-partum
care stuff might suit your wife.

Holly
Mom to Camden, almost 3
EDD #2 6/8/04
Old January 18th 04, 07:29 AM
CY

sleep, lol!

Seriously:
Some comfy slippers
Nice smelling lotion
Pretty pajamas
Didn't need anything to keep me occupied as I nursed round the clock!!

What a nice idea!
. ..

Old January 18th 04, 05:16 PM
Donna

"John" wrote in message
. ..

Looking back - what do you wish you had when you were recovering from
your c-section? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

What a sweetheart you are, John. Your wife is very lucky.

Let's see... the first thing I can think of, is casseroles, casseroles,
casseroles. Or delivery phone numbers and gift certificates. Getting food
in, and prepared was my biggest trial after my daughter arrived. I couldn't
drive for a number of weeks, and I constantly felt guilty about having
chinese food delivered. And for a few days, at least, actually cooking,
seemed beyond me. So taking care of the meals would be a godsend.

Also: naptime. If you can somehow arrange for childcare for a couple of
hours a day so your wife can nap/shower, etc, that would be helpful, as
well. Everything takes longer with an incision, and while she's dealing
with a newborn, she's also healing, and that takes an awful lot of energy.

But basket-type things... let's see....

She won't be able to bathe for a while, so bath products are probably not
useful. I would recommend that you think "services". Getting around may be
a bit uncomfortable, so anything you can take off her plate would be great.

HTH,

Donna

Old January 18th 04, 11:31 PM
Tracey

"Donna" wrote in message

She won't be able to bathe for a while, so bath products are probably not
useful.

Maybe not a regular bath, but she will most likely be able to shower the
next day (I did after both of my c-sections) and some nice shower gel and
lotion would be a nice thing to have.

Old January 19th 04, 01:38 PM
Mary

I'm looking for some advice from some c-section veterans here - my wife
and I recently found out that she will have to undergo a c-section for
our second child on Tuesday, squashing any hopes of a VBAC. She didn't
take the news very well, especially since her first c-section recovery
did not go well at all

You are such a sweetie, John. I hope the birth goes well and that your
wife has a speedy and happy recovery!

Mary S.
mom to the Sproutkin, 22 months

Old January 19th 04, 04:47 PM
Irene

John wrote in message ...

I've covered the other bases (made sure she has adequate help after the
surgery, met with an anesthesiolgist to ensure proper pain medication,
spoke to her OB/GYN, etc.), and now I'm trying to put together a care
basket for her - hopefully, something that will assist her in her
recovery, and both occupy her and keep her comfy. I know - not much you
can put in a basket to accomplish this, in light of the circumstances,
but I'm trying.

Looking back - what do you wish you had when you were recovering from
your c-section? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Not a c-section veteran myself, so I'm just guessing here, but what
would probably make me happiest would be flowers at the hospital, and
then lots and lots of help around the house after getting home.

Irene
Old January 19th 04, 07:38 PM
Michelle

"Donna" wrote in message ...
"John" wrote in message
. ..

Looking back - what do you wish you had when you were recovering from
your c-section? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

What a sweetheart you are, John. Your wife is very lucky.

I second that thought

But basket-type things... let's see....

She won't be able to bathe for a while, so bath products are probably not
useful. I would recommend that you think "services". Getting around may be
a bit uncomfortable, so anything you can take off her plate would be great.

Hey, since most of the stuff people are mentioning here are not
basket-type things, what about slipping in some "coupons"? Like
"undisturbed 1 hour nap", "undisturbed shower time", movie rentals,
coupons for whatever type of food she might like. Maybe she fills one
out every morning and you take care of supper?

Another idea, maybe include some kind of bell, or something that she
can use to get your attention when you're not with her, so she doesn't
have to get up or yell. I guess a baby monitor may work for that.

Keep in mind these are just some thoughts from someone who's never
been through this!

Michelle
Old January 19th 04, 10:55 PM
Iseult

John wrote in message ...

Looking back - what do you wish you had when you were recovering from
your c-section? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
John Nervous

Not the most romantic inclusion here (+ TMI alert) but I was terrified
of passing solids being too much effort... nurse gave me parafin jelly
(oral) - no effort required! :O Should be an over-the-counter thing.

G'luck for tomorrow!

-Iseult