How many c/s can you safely have?

Old June 6th 04, 03:15 PM
Unadulterated Me

Default How many c/s can you safely have?

Leslie wrote:

I'm pregnant with #5 now and planning another VBAC. My doctor knows we will
probably have another after this and he didn't say anything negative about it.

Go you!
;-)

Old June 6th 04, 03:25 PM
JoFromOz

Unadulterated Me wrote:
How do we
know this sort of thing isn't physiologically normal and happens all
the time without incident.

So very true!

Jo (RM)

Old June 6th 04, 09:21 PM
Vicki S

Unadulterated Me wrote:
Also I have heard opinion on ICAN that perhaps the paper thin uterus is
a normal thing, especially in multips. Because really the only time you
get to see this paper thin, windowed uterus phenomenon in when someone
has surgically opened you up to have a look. How do we know this sort of
thing isn't physiologically normal and happens all the time without
incident.

I would think that if the only part of the uterus that is paper-thin
is the part surrounding the scar, then your theory would be
exceedingly unlikely.

Besides, although certainly the only time people get to look at a
term/full uterus is when doctors are preparing to surgically open it
for a c-section, that c-section doesn't always follow another
c-section. Aren't you an excellent example? IIRC, your 11th child
was your first c-section. If **anyone** qualifies as a multipara,
it's a woman who has had 10 kids already!

If this was an open question in medicine: i.e. does the healthy uterus
of a multip or grand multip who has always given birth vaginally get
paper-thin anywhere, I think your physicians would have taken a good
look at yours between cutting open your outsides and cutting open your
insides. Could you ask them if they did that and what they saw?

--
-- Vicki
Married DH May 21, 1995. Ima shel Stoic, born 11/16/99;
Old June 6th 04, 10:39 PM
Leslie

amy said:

Hey thanks Leslie, I'll let her know you're on to #5 already, it'll make her
day :-)

Glad to be of service. :-)

She was saying "I want another" before they even got her out of
theatre, lol...

Even I am not that gung ho!

Leslie

Old June 6th 04, 10:40 PM
Leslie

Andrea said:

Go you!
;-)

Thanks! :-)

I expect six will be it--if we have anything to say about it, which given our
track record so far is debatable. ;-)

Leslie

Old June 7th 04, 12:04 AM
H Schinske

Andrea wrote:

Also I have heard opinion on ICAN that perhaps the paper thin uterus is
a normal thing, especially in multips. Because really the only time you
get to see this paper thin, windowed uterus phenomenon in when someone
has surgically opened you up to have a look. How do we know this sort of
thing isn't physiologically normal and happens all the time without
incident.

There was at least one study where they did ultrasound measurements on the scar
area to see if it made any difference to VBAC. They found that many of the
women had thick scars and none of them had ruptures. The rupture rate for those
who had thin scars was therefore higher, but it still wasn't terrifically high.
I have no idea what the proportion of thick and thin was though.

--Helen
Old June 7th 04, 01:38 AM
Sophie

My understanding is that it is not the scar that becomes windowed it is
patches of uterine muscle surrounding it, but I could be wrong there, I
haven't really looked that deeply into it (no pun intended).

Sure, I'd imagine the scar would be pretty thick, with scar tissue and all.

Also I have heard opinion on ICAN that perhaps the paper thin uterus is
a normal thing, especially in multips. Because really the only time you
get to see this paper thin, windowed uterus phenomenon in when someone
has surgically opened you up to have a look. How do we know this sort of
thing isn't physiologically normal and happens all the time without
incident.

Good point

Old June 7th 04, 01:43 AM
Unadulterated Me

Vicki S wrote:

If this was an open question in medicine: i.e. does the healthy uterus
of a multip or grand multip who has always given birth vaginally get
paper-thin anywhere, I think your physicians would have taken a good
look at yours between cutting open your outsides and cutting open your
insides. Could you ask them if they did that and what they saw?

I already know, my surgeon said it was very thin, so thin as soon as he
cut into it it shredded, I had a uterine rip right down to my cervix, it
took him ages to sew me back together and I lost quite a bit of blood.
He said it was due to being in second stage so long, and later airily
fairily blamed it on being a grand mutip and suggested any future babies
should be born via elective c/section, but I'm not sure I believe this
is correct.

Old June 7th 04, 01:58 AM
Sophie

I already know, my surgeon said it was very thin, so thin as soon as he
cut into it it shredded, I had a uterine rip right down to my cervix, it
took him ages to sew me back together and I lost quite a bit of blood.

Mine took forever to sew back up too - he said it was like sewing silk, it
kept ripping. He said he could really see Lewis through it too. Never
mentioned blood loss though.

He said it was due to being in second stage so long, and later airily
fairily blamed it on being a grand mutip and suggested any future babies
should be born via elective c/section, but I'm not sure I believe this
is correct.

Get 2nd, 3rd, or more opinions.

Old June 7th 04, 02:44 AM
Leslie

Andrea said:

I already know, my surgeon said it was very thin, so thin as soon as he
cut into it it shredded, I had a uterine rip right down to my cervix, it
took him ages to sew me back together and I lost quite a bit of blood.
He said it was due to being in second stage so long, and later airily
fairily blamed it on being a grand mutip and suggested any future babies
should be born via elective c/section, but I'm not sure I believe this
is correct.

I had a similar pronouncement in the operating room after my thrid section.
The OB (who was the one on call, since it was a transport after a failed
homebirth) said I was stretched so thin it wasn't safe to have any more
children. Totally freaked my husband out. He backpedaled just days later and
by my six week checkup was more or less acting like he never said it. I think
he was just ****ed over the whole homebirth thing and trying to show off his
medical credentials.

Explain to me how it can be safe to carry a baby around in your stretched out
uterus for nine months but not to labor. I mean, if they are all that sure
that you would rupture in labor, shouldn't they be advising against pregnancy
at all?

What do you plan, if you don't mind my asking? Are there more babies in your
future?

Leslie