baby routine tips needed please

Old November 13th 07, 12:50 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers[_4_]

Default baby routine tips needed please

What exactly is reflux?

I think there are different varieties, but it's basically it's where
fluids that should be in the stomach rise up out of the stomach, causing
a burning type pain. The symptoms overlap but are different to food
sensitivities, you'd have to ask an expert, unfortunately the symptoms
you describe do match with one type, Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease,
(GERD), scroll down to the relevant section on this page
http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/reflux.html, though with different
symptoms appearing at different times it's very hard to tell. I think
there are enough things going on that you can't dismiss grumpiness as
teeth and poor weight gain as just needing to get the right food in at
the right times. You know from your own previous babies that the amount
Connor is taking in a feed is very low, being big for gestation and
being 3 weeks early shouldn't have much influence on this.

Btw, no one here is criticising or judging your feeding choices, just
trying to provide factual information that can help you figure out what
is best for Connor, you, and the rest of the family. We used
childminders and to be honest, I'm amazed you were able to go back to
work at 16 weeks, most of us find it difficult looking after our own
kids, let alone someone elses as well!

I found a website I hadn't looked at before on breastfeeding yesterday,
it's at http://www.wiessinger.baka.com/bfing/index.html, she is very
down to earth and logical with the breastfeeding information she gives,
with a healthy dose of realism, including
http://www.wiessinger.baka.com/bfing...e/formdec.html. She
also has a page for grandparents, which validates some of the confusion
that new grandmothers can feel, if they didn't breastfeed their
children, I guess similar emotions can surface if there is a larger gap
between your children and things that were at the time thought to be
best have now changed.

Cheers
Anne
Old November 13th 07, 05:44 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
sharalyns

On Nov 12, 2:22 pm, "Karen \(LG\)" wrote:
How big was you son at birth and how early?
Connor was born 3weeks early weighing 8lb 5oz

All my babies have been big and all have started solids before 6 months.
Years ago it used to be 4mth you'd start solids and it never did my eldest 2
any harm.

I know the WHO ''guidelines'' are designed to give guidance to what is best
for babies but not all babies are the same.

DD2 - Has 3 meals a day plus 3 snacks in between (fruit, healthy snacks, or
wholemeal toast) and is built like a whippet. She the energizer bunny !!
She is now 2 & a half and weighs just under 2 stone, she was 9lb 4oz at
birth !!

Alexander was almost 6 weeks early and weighed in at 5 pounds 5
ounces. So at 5.5 months old, he was age adjusted to 4 months. At that
time he was 15 pounds 2 ounces. If you go by his adjusted age, he was
16 pounds 2 ounces at adjusted 5.5 months old. And he's always been a
peanut (only 25th percentile in weight at his highest. Nowe we're
lucky to hit the 5th percentile -- for comparison, on his 3rd birthday
he was 1.89 stone).

I agree not all babies are the same, but if you're looking at a
possible weight issue, you have to look at intake. What was good for
your oldest two may not be good for your youngest.

Oh, and the can't hold more than 4 ounces sounds *really* familiar.
Alexander had "silent" reflux, and we had to treat, etc to help him
keep stuff down.

((hugs)) I know it's hard not knowing exactly what to do and when for
your baby!

Sharalyn
mom to Alexander James

Old November 14th 07, 09:06 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Karen \(LG\)

update -

I had Connor weighed today - 15lb 10oz now down to just over the 25th
percentile.

Health visitor advised me to feed him more often but I told her that he'd
just throw it back up, she didn't seem concerned but she had a waiting room
room of babies waiting to be weighed.

I've booked Connor in for friday to discuss relux with my GP.

I read through the articles pointed out to me by members, and I agree he
sounds like he has a milkd version of this.

Example - 4.30pm today he was given a bottle - 4oz as usual, over the next
hour he threw up 6 times.
7,30pm he was offered a bottle again as he was grumpy. he only took 3oz, was
very niggly whilst eating and then over the next hour threw up 4 times.
It's 9.10pm and he's just gone off to sleep after dad has walked him for 30
mins.

Let's se what GP says friday.

Thanks everyone for the help and advice.

Old November 14th 07, 10:34 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Lucy-lu

"Karen (LG)" wrote in message
[...]

I don't know if anyone else has suggested this, but perhaps he's lactose
intolerant? Either way, he's probably miserable of being sick, hungry as
he's not keeping anything down, and generally uncomfortable, poor chap. I'm
surprised your health visitor isn't more concerned - i'm glad you've booked
him in with the GP.

Have you tried other formulas? Some of them do a soya one - might be worth a
go? Hope you get him sorted soon -I'm having a Google for you

Lucy x

Old November 14th 07, 10:44 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Lucy-lu

"Karen (LG)" wrote in message
[...]

There's some mum's comparing reflux tips on this page, hope this helps x

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk?topicid=...0609022203 34

Old November 18th 07, 09:53 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Karen \(LG\)

Thanks everyone for the advice, took connor to the GP and he agreed it
sounds like reflux. He perscribed Gavison infant sachets to pop in his
bottle..........he's keeping more of his feed down now and seems a lot
happier.

Now to get him back into his routine.........Emily moved in to her own room
on friday, bit of hiccups with it being strange, but saturday night was
fine.

Now Connor will go up to bed after his bath & feed at 7pm and we can start
getting him used to his new routine.

Karen

baby tips koko Child Support 0 October 1st 07 08:25 AM
Baby Safety Tips [email protected] Pregnancy 0 July 30th 06 08:36 PM
Setting a routine advice needed kazh Pregnancy 11 February 24th 06 09:52 PM
Laundry tips needed! Jill Pregnancy 11 May 19th 04 08:26 PM
bedtime routine for 3rd baby Nevermind General 4 August 1st 03 12:18 AM