Water Breaking...

Old December 14th 07, 01:31 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Jen[_2_]

Default Water Breaking...

Taken from a different thread;
"and a weird pressure, like when my waters were trying to break..."

A friend of mine asked me what it feels like when one's water breaks
naturally. She had been explaining an odd pressure in the cervical
area saying that if she where to picture what it could be, she
imagines something along the lines of a person being inside a balloon
and pushing to get out - the stretching of the balloon she says is
what she pictures the pressure coming from. Sounds funny to me as I
had never experienced this before and my waters had always ruptured at
the hospital by the OB. I wasn't going to ask anything about it, but
when I read what this other woman had mentioned in her thread I got to
wondering if anyone else felt anything of that nature around the time
their water broke. Any takers?

-Jen
Old December 14th 07, 01:55 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Lucy-lu

"Jen" wrote in message
Taken from a different thread;
"and a weird pressure, like when my waters were trying to break..."

A friend of mine asked me what it feels like when one's water breaks
naturally. She had been explaining an odd pressure in the cervical
area saying that if she where to picture what it could be, she
imagines something along the lines of a person being inside a balloon
and pushing to get out - the stretching of the balloon she says is
what she pictures the pressure coming from. Sounds funny to me as I
had never experienced this before and my waters had always ruptured at
the hospital by the OB. I wasn't going to ask anything about it, but
when I read what this other woman had mentioned in her thread I got to
wondering if anyone else felt anything of that nature around the time
their water broke. Any takers?

-Jen

Heh, yeah, that was me with my weirdness Apparently (tho I was in labour
at the time, so I may have been confused!) my waters broke in two stages.
The first was when I was in the hospital bed. Although my labour was still
silent at the time (as in, I couldn't feel my contractions), I was on the
monitor and my contractions were being timed, so labour was established.
Suddenly, my sheets felt very wet, and I buzzed for the midwife. I knew I'd
not had "an accident" as I'd been going to the loo lots before, and there
just wasn't that much left in my bladder. She came over and confirmed it,
and my contactions became noticable after that point...

Then, when I was on the labour table, I got the urge to push. I really
thought it was the baby's head, tho retrospectively, it was too "squishy".
The midwife said it was my hind waters. I don't know if this is a different
sort of waters, or what, but yeah, it did feel like a balloon - or, as I
picture it, a stressball! Very odd as it felt very strong, and it was a lot
of pushes before it broke, Without being too gross, I could feel it being
pushed out, then kinda going back in. I think it gave me a chance to
practice pushing too, as obviously, I'd never done it before and the urge
just came naturally. I think if I'd suddenly had the huge task of getting a
baby out I'd have panicked!

Not at all like you see on the TV!

Lucy x

Old December 14th 07, 02:06 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Nan

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 05:31:04 -0800 (PST), Jen
wrote:

Taken from a different thread;
"and a weird pressure, like when my waters were trying to break..."

A friend of mine asked me what it feels like when one's water breaks
naturally. She had been explaining an odd pressure in the cervical
area saying that if she where to picture what it could be, she
imagines something along the lines of a person being inside a balloon
and pushing to get out - the stretching of the balloon she says is
what she pictures the pressure coming from. Sounds funny to me as I
had never experienced this before and my waters had always ruptured at
the hospital by the OB. I wasn't going to ask anything about it, but
when I read what this other woman had mentioned in her thread I got to
wondering if anyone else felt anything of that nature around the time
their water broke. Any takers?

-Jen

Let's see.... with #1 I woke up thinking I'd had an "accident" while
sleeping so I didn't feel anything but the wetness after I ruptured.

With #2 and #3 I imagined the feeling of a balloon inside that was
getting too full of water and bursting. #2 was definitely a "burst"
while I was standing at the sink washing dishes, and #3 was more of a
"leak".

Nan

Old December 14th 07, 08:25 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers[_4_]

pop seems to be a common word used when describing the feeling of waters
breaking, I was asleep until just as mine broke with my first, so I
can't say if there was any feeling or sensation, though I did wake up
just before the pop, rather than waking up and being wet. 2nd time I had
ARM after being in 2nd stage with no progress for a couple of hours,
there was lots of pressure down there, but I'd put that more down to
strong contractions than anything the bag of waters was doing (turned
out I had very low fluid volume, so it could be different if you've got
a more normal amount).

Cheers
Anne
Old December 14th 07, 08:43 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Jen[_2_]

Interesting... as I said, I never experienced it before with my
pregnancies so I have nothing to go on. But from what my friend says
there is lots of pressure every time she stands or is walking
upstairs, etc, sometimes it happens while sitting as well. This is
nothing she is concerned about mind you, we are just curious if there
was/is that sort of feeling accompanying the rupture of the waters - I
guess she is picturing herself walking through Wal-Mart and suddenly
her water letting go there in the check out, lol. I hate not being
able to tell her anything, I'm her only friend who has children but I
have never had mine break naturally. Time shall tell. Thx.

-Jen
Old December 14th 07, 10:45 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Lucy-lu

"Jen" wrote in message
Interesting... as I said, I never experienced it before with my
pregnancies so I have nothing to go on. But from what my friend says
there is lots of pressure every time she stands or is walking
upstairs, etc, sometimes it happens while sitting as well. This is
nothing she is concerned about mind you, we are just curious if there
was/is that sort of feeling accompanying the rupture of the waters - I
guess she is picturing herself walking through Wal-Mart and suddenly
her water letting go there in the check out, lol. I hate not being
able to tell her anything, I'm her only friend who has children but I
have never had mine break naturally. Time shall tell. Thx.

-Jen

Ohh, I take it that her waters haven't actually ever broken yet then? I got
a very similar experience during my last few weeks, where it felt like if I
moved, her foot or something was just going to drop out. I wonder if that's
what she's got? I don't know whatit was, but it wasn't an impending sign of
labour - I had to be indiced! But it did feel like something was just going
to pop/squeeze out!

Lucy x

Old December 14th 07, 11:45 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers[_4_]

Jen wrote:
Interesting... as I said, I never experienced it before with my
pregnancies so I have nothing to go on. But from what my friend says
there is lots of pressure every time she stands or is walking
upstairs, etc, sometimes it happens while sitting as well. This is
nothing she is concerned about mind you, we are just curious if there
was/is that sort of feeling accompanying the rupture of the waters - I
guess she is picturing herself walking through Wal-Mart and suddenly
her water letting go there in the check out, lol. I hate not being
able to tell her anything, I'm her only friend who has children but I
have never had mine break naturally. Time shall tell. Thx.

I think it's much more likely that it's just that her baby is low, maybe
engaged, maybe just bigger and taking up more room. Some people wander
around for weeks like this, others it can be a sign of imminent labour.
Water breaking is the first sign of labour in about 15% of women iirc,
some babies are born without the waters every breaking (known as born in
the caul and some belief systems see it as a sign the baby will never
drown), I guess she'll only know when it happens!

Anne
Old December 15th 07, 03:07 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Jen[_2_]

"Lucy-lu" wrote:
Ohh, I take it that her waters haven't actually ever broken yet then?

Nope not yet...

"Anne Rogers" wrote:
I think it's much more likely that it's just that her baby is low, maybe
engaged, maybe just bigger and taking up more room.

That is what I was thinking, but then I never felt those types of
sensations so I couldn't really relate to her on it. I have never
heard of anyone "feeling" their water break in that manner, but I
suppose that doesn't go to say that they don't feel that increase in
pressure - knowing that it doesn't mean labour is imminent (as much as
she hates to hear it, lol), though it would be a nice little warning!

-Jen

Old December 15th 07, 04:20 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
betsy

On Dec 14, 12:43 pm, Jen wrote:

was/is that sort of feeling accompanying the rupture of the waters - I
guess she is picturing herself walking through Wal-Mart and suddenly
her water letting go there in the check out,

I do know someone who was walking through Wal-Mart when her baby gave
a sudden kick at her cervix, rupturing her membranes.

Mine have always ruptured naturally in the pushing phase. With my
third, her eyes were out before they ruptured. When they did, she
just came flying out.

Even though my membranes have never ruptured early, I do tend to get
nervous when there is a lot of pressure very low.

--Betsy
Old December 15th 07, 06:59 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Jen[_2_]

On Dec 15, 1:20 am, betsy wrote:
I do know someone who was walking through Wal-Mart when her baby gave
a sudden kick at her cervix, rupturing her membranes.

Mine have always ruptured naturally in the pushing phase. With my
third, her eyes were out before they ruptured. When they did, she
just came flying out.

Even though my membranes have never ruptured early, I do tend to get
nervous when there is a lot of pressure very low.

--Betsy

Hahaha, oh my, I would hate to have that happen to me, lol. Nothing
wrong with it of course, but just the thought of walking around in
soaked jeans and what not! Really, her eyes were out before they
ruptured? See they broke mine early during labour to speed it up -
with my first I was having contractions for three hours @ five minutes
apart but there was no pain as such with them at all, so they ruptured
my membranes to get it moving along... a little less than six hours
later my daughter was born. With my second I was induced and they
broke my water about half an hour after labour started, my son arrived
three hours after that. Of course babe number three here was due
yesterday but appears to be shy... but I'm not feeling anything along
the lines of what my friend is talking about. I thought for sure that
I was going to be gone by now as I had been experiencing increased
pressure two weeks ago and lots of contractions and what not, but it
all kind of stopped, and the pressure wasn't as she is describing in
any event. Now its like a race to the finish line with the two of us!
Who knows, maybe it'll be me at the checkout and not her after all,
lol.

-Jen