The Vaccination Decision: Weighing The Risks

Old February 15th 09, 01:40 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,misc.kids,talk.politics.medicine,misc.headlines
Jan Drew

Default The Vaccination Decision: Weighing The Risks

http://www.thegreenparent.com/2009/0...ing-the-risks/

The Vaccination Decision: Weighing The Risks

If your just tuning in, we're talking about vaccinations this week. And I've
even postponed our usual "Waste-Free Wednesday" post so that I can continue
focusing on the pros and cons of vaccination. Yesterday, we took a long look
at the reasons to consider vaccination.

In today's post, I'd like to take a look at the flip side of the
argument.the many risks associated with vaccinations. Reader Amanda McNabb
sent me an amazingly concise and well thought out response about why she
chose not to vaccinate her children. Each of the points that she mentioned
were brought up time and again in the research I conducted on vaccines, so I
thought I would use her email as a starting point for discussion. Here are
the reasons why Amanda chose not to vaccinate her children.

The diseases that we vaccinate for rarely kill anybody in areas with good
sanitation, good personal hygiene, and proper nutrition.

?I have to interject and point out a few of the points brought up yesterday.
For starters, many of the deadly diseases that vaccines are created to
counter are no longer around BECAUSE so many people vaccinate their
children. Also, this point is not entirely accurate. The Centers for
Disease Control and Prevention still lists several deaths each year that are
attributable to measles. And in 2005, an outbreak of polio broke out in an
Amish community amongst unvaccinated children.

Many of the diseases we vaccinate for are not even things that my child is
likely to come into contact with. For example; polio is not found in the
"wild" in the US. Hep B is transmitted the same way as AIDS. Tetanus is
found in the feces of animals and would have to be on the item that breaks
the skin, at which point they will give a tetanus shot even if you'd had one
the day before.

?Polio is rare, but it is still found in the wild in the U.S. Hep B is a
sexually transmitted disease, but it is also transmitted via any type of
bodily fluid transfer.sharing a toothbrush, drinking from the same glass,
etc. This is unlike AIDS that can only be transmitted via sexual or blood
contact. As for tetanus, it is caused by a toxin produced by a type of
bacteria found worldwide in soil and most surfaces. It is not limited to
animal feces and the item does not have to break the skin in order to cause
an infection, it can also be ingested. Take a minute to think about how
much a new baby spends crawling around on the ground both indoors and out,
and you can see why a tetanus shot is recommended.

Vaccination causes a false immunity, which does not last. Hence never ending
boosters.

?This is a great point. As is the case with the flu shot, there is no
guarantee that vaccines will keep your baby free from disease.

The way that you activate the immune system is by exposing it at all levels
to the bug. By skipping the mucous linings along the gut and putting it
straight into the blood, you are not actually stimulating the immune system.

?I don't really understand this point and would welcome further discussion.
As far as I know, any time a person get sick, the illness enters the body
via the same means as a vaccine would. So how would the immune response be
different for vaccines than it would for the actual disease?

I would think that being exposed to multiple diseases in one shot would tend
to create a mutant response.

?This is another excellent point! As Robyn Chittister of Antioch, CA
pointed out, "So, I can't give my 2 month old cow's milk, but I can inject
him with 7 different diseases, including viruses and bacteria, antibiotics,
aluminum, and all the rest? " I couldn't agree more. A babies developing
immune system is a fragile thing, and it seems ridiculous to inject them
with several potentially life threatening illnesses at the same time in an
effort to keep them healthy.

You have to look at the preservatives. Mercury is bad, and even thought they
say they don't use it anymore, I was on the FDA's website about a month ago
and they listed the ingredients. If you don't want mercury, you have to make
sure you are very specific in which brand and what year it was manufactured.

?According to the CDC website, "since 2001, with the exception of some
influenza (flu) vaccines, thimerosal is not used as a preservative in
routinely recommended childhood vaccines." That's comforting, however, I
couldn't find any information about how many vaccines created before 2001
were still in circulation today. So if you do choose to vaccinate your
child, ask your health care provider about the year the vaccination was
produced or ask to see the package insert that came with the product to
verify that it is thimerosal-free yourself.

And even without the thimerosal, there is good reason to question the safety
of the ingredients used to create vaccines. According to Healthy Child, "In
light of all the other types of pollution our bodies are assaulted with in
our everyday lives, some of us have to ask ourselves if it is wise to inject
vaccines containing known carcinogens and toxins (including mercury,
formaldehyde and aluminum) into our children's bodies when so little is
known about the possible side effects. It appears that we may be trading one
set of diseases for another that is chronic and debilitating."

Vaccines are exempt from prosecution. If something goes wrong, the company
has NO accountability. Yes I know about VAERS and the government money set
aside.

?The Vaccine Adverse Events Reporting System (VAERS) receives 11,000 reports
of vaccine reactions each year. The government has funds set aside to
compensate patients that have had adverse reactions to a vaccine. But if
vaccines are so safe then why be afraid of lawsuits, and why have money set
aside to buy off people?

In addition, the FDA acknowledges that the number of cases reported to VAERS
actually represents less than 10% of actual vaccine reactions. TEN
PERCENT! In other words, the data produced by the FDA and CDC regarding the
safety of vaccines is based on what they realized is an under-reporting of
the actual side effects caused by vaccines.

In most cases, this under-reporting is caused by a doctors disbelief that a
vaccine could cause a certain reaction. For instance, consider this example
given on the FDA website:

"A mother recently called FDA because her child's hair had fallen out each
time the child received a dose of the hepatitis B vaccine. The mother said
she asked the pediatrician whether the vaccine could have caused the hair
loss, but the pediatrician was sure that couldn't be the case. In fact,
after the second dose of the vaccine and subsequent hair loss, the doctor
was preparing to do a scalp biopsy to determine the cause.

A search of the VAERS database found 45 cases of hair loss after hepatitis B
vaccination. Of those, 15 cases were like this one, in which hair loss
happened after each of two doses of the vaccine."

This was a common thread that I found among the HUNDREDS of responses I
received from parents who choose not to vaccinate their children. One email
after the next told about horrible reactions that their own child, or a
friend's child had to a vaccine.reactions that were discounted by medical
professionals who simply could not believe that a vaccine could cause such a
reaction. According to the FDA, doctors shouldn't try to make that
judgment, they should just report it.

I personally believe that a lot of the research on the safety of vaccines is
junk science. It is unethical for companies to test things on people that
they think will make them worse. As soon as it becomes undeniable that a
drug makes people sick, the trial is stopped. It would be unethical to do
otherwise. Therefore, any research showing a bad outcome from a drug or
vaccine is stopped before the final results are in. Therefore all research
will say that it works, has no effect, or is inconclusive.

?This isn't entirely accurate. If a drug were making people sick, the trial
would be stopped, but if the trial were stopped for any reason, the drug
would have to be discontinued. Of greater concern is the number of reactions
that go unreported, both during these safety trials and once the drug has
been released to the wider population. As mentioned above, the medical
community as a whole grossly under reports vaccine side effects, both large
and small. This renders much of the data on vaccine safety meaningless.

Some of the vaccines are cultured in aborted fetal tissue.

?According to the CDC, the vaccines for MMR and varicella are grown, in
part, in aborted fetal tissue. This presents an ethical dilemma for parents
who are pro-life and against the use of aborted fetuses for medical testing.

Thanks so much to Amanda for so clearly articulating many of the reasons
that parents choose not to vaccinate their children. You may have noticed
that this post did NOT discuss one the major reasons that many parents
choose not to vaccinate.the potential links between vaccination and autism
and other serious diseases. That is because that topic was way to large to
fit into one or two paragraphs. Check back tomorrow when the day's post will
look at all of the information regarding vaccines and autism.

Government (and Vaccination Propagandists) Deny Gardasil Risks Ilena Rose Kids Health 0 October 24th 08 06:20 PM
Vaccination: Any MDs/RNs reporting it as child abuse? (also: TAPPinto truth about vaccination) Todd Gastaldo Pregnancy 4 November 18th 05 08:13 PM
florida decision Mary Jo Oliver Solutions 11 November 1st 04 07:21 PM
Big decision Zaz Pregnancy 7 August 17th 04 02:36 AM
Pay someone for their decision? Chris Child Support 253 November 10th 03 09:56 PM