2 wo refuses for feed

Old July 5th 06, 06:46 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Eric Rogers

Default 2 wo refuses for feed

My wife gavew birth on june 20th. The little one refused to latch on then,
had to use feeding tube placed along side nipple to entice her to feed. Now
Wife has almost given up on breastfeeding, cause now little one will cry
when nipple offered instead of bottle. I am planning to use pump and
suppliment daughter's food. Good idea?

Old July 5th 06, 09:59 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Suzanne S

There are others here with far more knowledge than me, and I am sure that
they will give far more info than me too, but I'll try just now until they
come on-line later in the day.

It sounds like your daughter (DD is the shorthand :-) has nipple confusion,
where she now prefers to have a bottle, and has difficulty in getting milk
from the breast. The action needed to get milk from a bottle is very
different from the action needed to get milk from a bottle. If she is not
having any milk direct from the breast, then you will have your work cut out
to get her back onto the breast, but with commitment (and time and patience)
you should be able to do it. I would recommend seeing a breastfeeding
consultant to get specific help to your situation. Others will have more
detailed info on how to get her back to the breast.

Along side this though, it sounds like she has been getting a lot of
bottles - are they forumula or expressed breast milk? Has your wife been
pumping to keep her supply up? If not, then this may also be a big issue,
as her body may have decided that the milk is not needed, and therefore
isn't making enough/any milk. Again, there are things that can be done to
get her supply up, but they will take commitment and time.

Some more information will help to provide you with some specific help, such
as:
-was your DD premature?
-was the delivery stressful (lots of drugs to mum etc)
-does she take the breast at all just now?
-how often does your wife pump?
-how often does your baby feed?
-and are these feeds formula or expressed breast milk?

My advice just now would be to relax, and to offer the breast, but don't
force it. Try offering ther the breast while taking a bath. Do pump
frequently if she is not taking the breast (I think the advice is every 3
hours during the day, and every 4 hours at night). If it looks like you are
in for long term pumping, then you will need a good quality pump.

Breastmilk is always a good idea, so yes, pumping and suplimenting is a good
idea!

I would strongly recomend seeing a breastfeeding counsellor. I don't know
what country you are in, but IBLC (international board of Lactation
Consultants) is internationally recognised so you should be able to find
someone close to you who is IBLC certified.

Good luck,

Suzanne

Old July 6th 06, 02:23 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Kim E

Eric-

Congrats on your new baby!!! I am sorry to hear that your wife
and baby are having problems. It is definitely possible for
babies to latch on days, weeks or even months after birth, so
don't lose hope, and there are lots of things your wife can do to
keep her supply up. Here is an article with all the information
I know on the subject:

http://www.mobimotherhood.org/article-refusal.aspx

Hope some of that helps.

-kim