DD wants her "boyfriend" at her birthday party

Old October 22nd 08, 10:59 PM posted to misc.kids
Donna Metler

Default DD wants her "boyfriend" at her birthday party

I hadn't expected to deal with this for a few years yet, but my almost 4 yr
old decided on a Fairy princess themed birthday party, which we're having
off site at a place which does dress up tea parties. Since she only has a
handful of girls in her class, we'd planned on inviting the girls and a few
close friends, most of whom are a little older than DD.

However, now that we're about a month out and sending actual invitations,
she's told me that she wants a specific little boy in her class at her party
as well because "He's my boyfriend, and he'd be sad if he wasn't invited".
This little sweetheart is the youngest child in the class (just turned 3
right at the end of September, in a class where the kids had to be 3 by
October 1), and for whatever reason, latched on to DD at the beginning of
the year. Their teacher comments that DD's basically his big sister-she
often "translates" for him, helps him with his backpack and coat, plays with
him, and just plain runs interference with him since he's a little lost with
the rest of the preschoolers, and often "teaches" him and walks him through
the centers and basic academic stuff (which is also working well for keeping
DD busy-so far, having a child who tests on a high 2nd grade level on
academics in the preschool classroom hasn't been a problem at all-in part
because of this peer relationship which has developed). We've had a few
playdates outside of preschool, since his grandmother has him in the
afternoons and she doesn't live very far away from us, and it's the same
thing. So, I guess it makes sense that she wouldn't want to leave him out,
but I kind of wish she'd picked a less stereotypically girly party. I just
have a hard time picturing this little guy who loves trucks and farm
machinery in a room painted to look like Barbie's dream castle made little
girl sized, where the main entertainment planned is dressing up in the large
collection of princess costumes, making magic wands and tiaras, and taking
pictures of the "princesses" dressed up, followed by "tea" and cookies!

Anyway, does anyone have suggestions for including a barely 3 yr old boy in
a party where the rest of the participants are girls ranging from 3 1/2 to
5? I've already warned grandma that the guest list is 8 little girls
(including DD), plus her grandson.

Old October 23rd 08, 03:10 AM posted to misc.kids
Ericka

Donna Metler wrote:

Anyway, does anyone have suggestions for including a barely 3 yr old boy in
a party where the rest of the participants are girls ranging from 3 1/2 to
5? I've already warned grandma that the guest list is 8 little girls
(including DD), plus her grandson.

The little boys at "fairy princess" dance camp have
a blast with a cape and a sword, and don't seem to mind
being surrounded by girls. Maybe have a crown he can
decorate, and take a picture of him in a heroic "dragon
slaying" pose. Tea and cookies shouldn't be a problem.
Boys like tea too ;-)

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old October 23rd 08, 03:28 AM posted to misc.kids
Donna Metler

"Ericka" wrote in message
Donna Metler wrote:

Anyway, does anyone have suggestions for including a barely 3 yr old boy
in a party where the rest of the participants are girls ranging from 3
1/2 to 5? I've already warned grandma that the guest list is 8 little
girls (including DD), plus her grandson.

The little boys at "fairy princess" dance camp have
a blast with a cape and a sword, and don't seem to mind
being surrounded by girls. Maybe have a crown he can
decorate, and take a picture of him in a heroic "dragon
slaying" pose. Tea and cookies shouldn't be a problem.
Boys like tea too ;-)

Thanks! I'm sure we can come up with a cape and a sword (maybe a cardboard
sword and crown to decorate?). We also have some good sized stuffed dragons
around here that could come in as decorations (and victims). For that
matter, DD enjoys slaying dragons, too .

Old October 23rd 08, 03:31 AM posted to misc.kids
Anne Rogers[_5_]

I really wouldn't worry about it, just invite him and cross your
fingers, DS has been to slightly girly parties and boyish parties where
the guests were fairly mixed, so I really wouldn't worry. You might try
adapting the craft a bit, so he'd make a crown instead of a tiara and
see if they have any prince dressing up things rather than princess!

Cheers
Anne
Old October 23rd 08, 05:07 AM posted to misc.kids
Ericka

Donna Metler wrote:
"Ericka" wrote in message
Donna Metler wrote:

Anyway, does anyone have suggestions for including a barely 3 yr old boy
in a party where the rest of the participants are girls ranging from 3
1/2 to 5? I've already warned grandma that the guest list is 8 little
girls (including DD), plus her grandson.

The little boys at "fairy princess" dance camp have
a blast with a cape and a sword, and don't seem to mind
being surrounded by girls. Maybe have a crown he can
decorate, and take a picture of him in a heroic "dragon
slaying" pose. Tea and cookies shouldn't be a problem.
Boys like tea too ;-)

Thanks! I'm sure we can come up with a cape and a sword (maybe a cardboard
sword and crown to decorate?). We also have some good sized stuffed dragons
around here that could come in as decorations (and victims). For that
matter, DD enjoys slaying dragons, too .

You may need to have a stash of capes and swords ;-)
Sometimes it seems to work out that the girls understand
that the boy gets special treatment because he's the only
boy in the room, and they don't clamor for his sword and
cape. Sometimes a bunch of girls decide they'd rather
have swords than tutus. At the dance school, the "boy
stuff" is reserved for the boys and they make a big fuss
over it in order to make the boys feel special there,
and the girls don't seem to mind at all, but I don't know
that it would be the same dynamic at a party ;-)

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old October 23rd 08, 05:28 AM posted to misc.kids
Banty

In article , Donna Metler says...

Anyway, does anyone have suggestions for including a barely 3 yr old boy in
a party where the rest of the participants are girls ranging from 3 1/2 to
5? I've already warned grandma that the guest list is 8 little girls
(including DD), plus her grandson.

Invite the boy. He's her friend and she wants him there.

He'll be fine.

Banty

Old October 23rd 08, 01:16 PM posted to misc.kids
Chookie

In article ,
"Donna Metler" wrote:

Anyway, does anyone have suggestions for including a barely 3 yr old boy in
a party where the rest of the participants are girls ranging from 3 1/2 to
5? I've already warned grandma that the guest list is 8 little girls
(including DD), plus her grandson.

He sounds so cute! At three, he might enjoy dressing up in a fairy costume
anyway, but if he is already convinced that it's too girly, he can always
dress up as something else. It won't destroy the party to have Superman
present, or a little pirate or Peter Pan or knight or magician. The party
place will have something in mind; I am sure they get quite a few fairy
princesses with male friends and relatives. The little boy's family will
probably ring you to discuss costuming, and you could invite his Mum as well,
if you are concerned he won't cope.

In terms of party mechanics, so to speak, I doubt he will require much more
supervision than the rest of them. None of them understand party game rules
well, some of them will cry if they don't get a prize, and most of them will
spill food and drink on themselves. Which is why you are going to Fairy B
Cheese, right? ;-)

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

http://chookiesbackyard.blogspot.com/
Old October 23rd 08, 02:22 PM posted to misc.kids
Donna Metler

"Chookie" wrote in message
In article ,
"Donna Metler" wrote:

[...]

Not so much spills (our carpet really needs replaced anyway-it was ancient
when we bought the house, and a young child hasn't helped it much), as that
there's just plain no indoor area big enough for 8-9 kids, plus probably at
least a few parents (not to mention that my parents will be here for
Thanksgiving, so we'll have 4 adults here alone) and maybe a sibling or two.
Taking it off site seemed like a good idea, and the dress up party seemed
like about the most preschool-girl friendly option available, since "Dress
up" (either themselves, dolls, or stuffed animals) is probably the favorite
game to play anyway.

And I must say, I'm just as glad someone ELSE gets to deal with the
aftermath of princess crafts . Glitter and sparkles and glue, Oh my!