calorically dense toddler snacks?

Old January 29th 04, 06:36 PM
toypup

Default calorically dense toddler snacks?

"Dawn Lawson" wrote in message

toypup wrote:

She knows the kid needs more calories. I don't think she understood the

fat
part.

What? I think you're not talking about the OP Hillary anymore.
hillary's a vet, so there's imo, a very good chance she understands
about adding good quality fats to a diet.

No. I'm not. I was giving examples of someone I know. The thread drifted.
Sorry to confuse you.

Old January 29th 04, 06:37 PM
toypup

"Dawn Lawson" wrote in message

Hillary Israeli wrote:

In P6aSb.329548$ts4.132599@pd7tw3no,
Dawn Lawson wrote:

* She's not into putting oil and fat in the kid's food.
*
*
*then why bother with french fries? and why ask for calorically dense
*foods, and add olive oil and flax seed in things?

Excuse me, but *I* was the one who asked for calorically dense foods. I
was *not* the one who was not into putting oil and fat in the food. I'm
all over oil and fat.

Right, I know. Sorry if it came across that i was on your case. I'm
saying the comment that you **weren't** into it was a bizarre one.

I never said Hillary wasn't into it. I said a mom I know has a child who
only ate veggies wasn't into it.

Old January 29th 04, 06:59 PM
Dawn Lawson

Dawn Lawson wrote:

* She's not into putting oil and fat in the kid's food.
*
*
*then why bother with french fries? and why ask for calorically dense
*foods, and add olive oil and flax seed in things?

Excuse me, but *I* was the one who asked for calorically dense foods. I
was *not* the one who was not into putting oil and fat in the food. I'm
all over oil and fat.

Right, I know. Sorry if it came across that i was on your case. I'm
saying the comment that you **weren't** into it was a bizarre one.

I never said Hillary wasn't into it. I said a mom I know has a child who
only ate veggies wasn't into it.

Right, ok, went back and re-read. Definate drift, too liberal a use of
pronouns, I guess.

I'm still voting french fries off the island in favor of less
questionable fats and oils used in more nutritionally sound ways.

Dawn

Old January 29th 04, 07:42 PM
Nina

Dawn Lawson wrote:

[...]

Mc Donalds fries-bad
potatoes cut up, tossed in oil and baked- good

Old January 29th 04, 07:43 PM
Nina

"Dawn Lawson" wrote

There're good fats and bad ones. French fries are further over to the
"bad" side of that balance.

I think its a matter of defining French Fries.
A potato cut up and fried, or coated in olive oil and baked till crispy, is
the equivalent of a baked potato with butter

Old January 29th 04, 07:49 PM
toypup

"Nina" wrote in message

Mc Donalds fries-bad
potatoes cut up, tossed in oil and baked- good

Baked fries are the best, IMO. I just like how they turn out.

Old January 29th 04, 08:02 PM
Dawn Lawson

Dawn Lawson wrote:

[...]

Which was where I stepped in to this bizarre off-shoot of a perfectly
good thread. typical french fries bad, sliced oiled baked spuds good.

Dawn

Old January 29th 04, 08:41 PM
toypup

Which was where I stepped in to this bizarre off-shoot of a perfectly
good thread. typical french fries bad, sliced oiled baked spuds good.

If they're both in oil, why does the method of cooking make a difference?
Not a challenge, just curious. I always hear that baking is better, but I
assumed it was because less oil is used. Is that correct? If the kid needs
more fat, isn't frying okay?

Old January 29th 04, 09:09 PM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
Nina wrote:

*
*"Hillary Israeli" wrote in message
* In P6aSb.329548$ts4.132599@pd7tw3no,
* Dawn Lawson wrote:
*
* * She's not into putting oil and fat in the kid's food.
* *
* *
* *then why bother with french fries? and why ask for calorically dense
* *foods, and add olive oil and flax seed in things?
*
* Excuse me, but *I* was the one who asked for calorically dense foods. I
* was *not* the one who was not into putting oil and fat in the food. I'm
* all over oil and fat. I fed my daughter pats of butter last night. Hey,
* she wanted it, whatever. I don't care. She eats plenty of nutritious stuff
* and it isn't cutting it.
*
*Fat is a required nutrient. No need to feel guilty at all about using it in
*reasonable amounts. A diet deficient in fat is as bad as a diet deficient in
*protein or vitamins

Yes, of course, that's why I feed her all the fat.

Old January 29th 04, 09:13 PM
Hillary Israeli

In 07cSb.330445$ts4.220670@pd7tw3no,
Dawn Lawson wrote:

*Speaking of, I'm curious why you decided to stop nursing her in the
*daytime, given the weight issues?

Well, I think she was choosing to fill up on milk at the expense of more
calorically dense food. I mean, if you have a boob in your mouth most of
the day, and you're actually drinking milk from it, you won't eat as much
food as you otherwise would! Breastmilk only has about 20 cal per oz.
Peanut butter, on the other hand, has about 200 cal per oz; cheddar cheese
something like 120 cal/oz...you get the picture. We'll see if my guess was
right. She DOES seem to be eating a lot more than I had expected.