Halloween candy

Old November 19th 05, 12:56 PM posted to misc.kids.moderated

Default Halloween candy

On 2005-11-18, Hillary Israeli wrote:
In ,
dragonlady wrote:

*No -- actually, I think it's pretty funny that I'd never tasted lox
*until after I left home, and just assumed my mother didn't even know
*what they were, and that I would be able to introduce HER to them.

I didn't say anything about this when I saw it in the other post but...
erm... isn't "lox" singular??

I believe that "lox" is an uncountable noun in English (like "bread"),
which makes it grammatically singular for verbs, but you can't use the
indefinite article "a".

Lox is good.
*I ate a lox.
*I ate three lox.

(* indicates ungrammatical sentences.)

Kevin Karplus http://www.soe.ucsc.edu/~karplus
(Senior member, IEEE) (Board of Directors, ISCB)
Affiliations for identification only.

Old November 19th 05, 09:30 PM posted to misc.kids.moderated

In article ,

On 2005-11-18, Hillary Israeli wrote:
In ,
dragonlady wrote:

*No -- actually, I think it's pretty funny that I'd never tasted lox
*until after I left home, and just assumed my mother didn't even know
*what they were, and that I would be able to introduce HER to them.

I didn't say anything about this when I saw it in the other post but...
erm... isn't "lox" singular??

I believe that "lox" is an uncountable noun in English (like "bread"),
which makes it grammatically singular for verbs, but you can't use the
indefinite article "a".

Lox is good.
*I ate a lox.
*I ate three lox.

I'm not sure bread is a good example -- you CAN say "They served three
different breads with dinner."

So if they were seving more than one kind of lox, what would the
sentence be?

Old November 20th 05, 09:28 PM posted to misc.kids.moderated

In ,
dragonlady wrote:

*So if they were seving more than one kind of lox, what would the
*sentence be?

Well, I was just at a parent potluck dinner for my son's preK class, and
someone brought 3 kinds of lox to the party - so I would say we had 3
kinds of lox! I would never say we had "3 lox" or "3 loxes," though. That
would just "sound weird" to me.

I just looked in the OED, and lox is listed with the plural "lox, loxes,"
so I guess you COULD say "we had 3 lox" or "we had 3 loxes," but man, that
still sounds weird to me. I definitely wouldn't say that my mom (who loves
lox) likes lox so much that she hides "them" so we won't find "them" if
you see what I mean. Lox, to me, is definitely an "it."

Sorry to go OT. Bringing it perhaps back on topic... when I was a child,
about 5 years old, someone referred to me as a [bad name deleted] because
I did not like lox. I thought it was a horrible thing to do, to make fun
of a kid because she didn't like a particular kind of food, especially a
kind of strange one like lox (which I now love btw)! I have made a
particular effort to avoid making a big deal over my own kids' willingness
to eat or not eat any particular foods specifically because I remember the
shame and humiliation I suffered as a kid because of this one woman's
careless comment (she was a friend of my mom's). Does anyone else have any
parenting hotbuttons like that that come from their own childhood
"trauma"?

--
Hillary Israeli, VMD
Lafayette Hill/PA/USA/Earth

Old November 21st 05, 12:32 AM posted to misc.kids.moderated

On 2005-11-19, dragonlady wrote:
In article ,
Kevin Karplus wrote:
I believe that "lox" is an uncountable noun in English (like "bread"),
which makes it grammatically singular for verbs, but you can't use the
indefinite article "a".

Lox is good.
*I ate a lox.
*I ate three lox.

I'm not sure bread is a good example -- you CAN say "They served three
different breads with dinner."

So if they were seving more than one kind of lox, what would the
sentence be?

Actualy, "bread" is a good example of an uncountable noun. Many
uncountable nouns become technical terms for types of the underlying
object when used countably.

To say "I sell three breads" in English would mean three types of
bread, never three loaves of bread (unlike Spanish, for example, where
"pan" is a countable noun, and the plural would refer to loaves of bread).

Perhaps a better example would have been "rice", which, like "lox"
ends with the "s" sound. An agronomist can refer to the many rices
grown in California, but in ordinary usage, "rice" is uncountable and
one has to add counting words (bowls, grains, kilos, ...).

"Lox are good" is very open to being misheard as "locks are good,"
which may be a true statement, but not at all the same as "lox is
good."

Old November 21st 05, 02:30 AM posted to misc.kids.moderated

In article ,

On 2005-11-19, dragonlady wrote:
In article ,
Kevin Karplus wrote:
[...]

But that doesn't answer the question: if you are serving more than one
kind of lox, how do you say it?

Old November 21st 05, 03:45 AM posted to misc.kids.moderated

Whether I put one piece or three pieces of lox on my bagel, I say that
I'm putting "lox" on my bagel.

When I go to a store that carries more than one kind of lox, I refer to
it as "three kinds of lox" NOT "three loxes" or even "three lox".

Kevin Karplus hit it on the head. I don't refer to "three breads" but
to "three loaves of bread" or "three slices of bread" or "three kinds of
bread". Lox works the same way.

I prefer the Atlantic Harvest brand of lox from Trader Joe. It's much
less salty than most other kinds of lox, but still has plenty of flavor.
Much better even than most deli lox.

--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.

Old November 21st 05, 05:29 PM posted to misc.kids.moderated

In ,
dragonlady wrote:

*
*But that doesn't answer the question: if you are serving more than one
*kind of lox, how do you say it?

"It."

har dee har har.

But seriously, folks - if you are serving more than one kind of lox, you
say "On the stainless steel fish tray, I am serving Nova; on the
leaf-shaped platter is gravlax, the tartan-trimmed china platter holds
Scottish lox, and Uncle Morty's top-of-the-line regular is on the paper
plates over there. Dig in - l'chaim!"

-h.