Daily Routine

Old June 25th 07, 01:37 PM posted to misc.kids
cindy

Default Daily Routine

Hello,
My name is Cindy and I live in Richardson Texas. I have two boys ages 4 and
almost 2. I lurk here a lot because I think you guys have a lot of
knowledge.
I was wondering if you could give me some ideas on setting up a daily
routine. I try to get the boys out of the house for an activity once a day
(swimming, bounce house, etc) but am finding it hard to fill in the time at
home. It is much too easy for me to turn on the tv and let them just veg
out so I can veg out too. I really want to spend our time together more
wisely. Any suggestions? I guess I need structure too!
Thanks,
Cindy

Old June 25th 07, 02:23 PM posted to misc.kids
NL

cindy schrieb:
It is much too easy for me to turn on the tv and let them just veg
out so I can veg out too.

Heh yeah, the third parent as a friend used to call it...

My son's 7, so not everything we did/do might be suitable for you.

- draw with crayons/pencils

- paint with watercolors or fingerpaint (cover the table with newspaper
and if you've got carpet, cover that, too)

- play dough. You can make it yourself out of flour, salt and water,
google salt dough and you'll get "recipes" because I can't remember the
ratios. You can add food coloring to the dough and you can bake/dry it
in the oven after the kids have finished so their creations can be made
into presents (some like that, some don't, Sam liked making cookies and
baking them and then playing with those. Just make sure you don't roll
it out too thin or they'll crumble too easily)

- make muffins or cookies together, the 2 y.o. might be able to help
with the sifting and the 4 y.o. might be able to help with the stirring,
but both will definitely be able to help with the decorating ;-)

- take a walk and collect leaves and flowers when the weather's nice,
you can press them between some books (place them between paper towels
so they don't stain the books) and when the weather's bad you can use
them to make collages.

- actually, collages from colored paper and things found around the home
are nice to keep kids busy, too. Bottle caps, scraps of tin foil, empty
cereal boxes, anything colorful and/or shiny.

- I'm in Germany, so I don't know if that exists in the states: Sam got
a thick cork board "set" one easter. It included a thick piece of cork
board, wooden shapes with at least one hole each, some small nails and a
small hammer. You nail the shapes to the board and you can easily remove
them again later when the kid's done. It's good for fine motor skills
and it's not all that noisy either.

- Spend more time outside, go to the park and take a pick nick
lunch/snack. Take walks and look for small animals. "I spy" is a good
game for walks.

- Sam plays with Lego and Playmobil a lot, we've also got a "play rug"
in his room that has streets and houses printed on it and he plays with
his cars and planes on that. He's also got a wooden train set that he
still likes playing with and those are definitely suitable for 2 y.o.
and 4 y.o. children.

cu
nicole
Old June 25th 07, 02:25 PM posted to misc.kids
Welches

"cindy" wrote in message
t...
Hello,
My name is Cindy and I live in Richardson Texas. I have two boys ages 4
and almost 2. I lurk here a lot because I think you guys have a lot of
knowledge.
I was wondering if you could give me some ideas on setting up a daily
routine. I try to get the boys out of the house for an activity once a
day (swimming, bounce house, etc) but am finding it hard to fill in the
time at home. It is much too easy for me to turn on the tv and let them
just veg out so I can veg out too. I really want to spend our time
together more wisely. Any suggestions? I guess I need structure too!
Thanks,
Cindy

It sounds to me that you don't need so much of a routine so much as ideas of
things to do that aren't TV!
We have a rule that the computer (and hence our DVD player-we don't have a
TV) doesn't go on in the morning except in very special circumstances. This
is rarely challenged by either of the two girls (age 6 and 3)
A lot of things I have to do, the children will help me and find it fun.
Hanging washing up (older can take the washing out of the basket, younger
passes you the pegs-more fun with coloured pegs Too) shopping (let them make
some of the choices: like which cereal this week)
Suggestions of things you can do:
Cooking (if you're not good at cooking then you could make jam tarts or
decorate bought biscuits)
Crafts: making cards is my children's favourite.
Playdough
Sandpit in the garden
Clean the car (may sound strange but the girls like it)
Threading beads
A picnic (get them to make up sandwiches and eat in gardern/at the park)
Games (Bingo type of games are playable with those ages. They may manage
snap-you snap with colours rather than numbers for the 2yo)
Treasure hunt (who can find me 3 different types of leaves, then when they
bring it back who can find a daisy... etc.)
Music making. They can make a guitar out of a small box with elastic bands
stretched round it, ratttles with boxes with beans/rice inside etc.
Shopping: Set up a shop and give them some money and they can spend it on
small things you have.
Clean the kitchen floor by skating on baby wipes.
Take birthday/Christmas cards and cut them into two. Then mix them up and
they try to match the right halves.
Balloon games-try not to let the balloon touch the floor.
Reading. Usually the same book again... and again... and again... and....
Listening to stories on tape/CD-probably more for the older one
Make a tent (either outside or in) with sticks/chairs/rugs/ etc. and then
you can have a picnic in there.

Debbie

Old June 25th 07, 03:21 PM posted to misc.kids
Stephanie[_2_]

"cindy" wrote in message
t...
Hello,
My name is Cindy and I live in Richardson Texas. I have two boys ages 4
and almost 2. I lurk here a lot because I think you guys have a lot of
knowledge.
I was wondering if you could give me some ideas on setting up a daily
routine. I try to get the boys out of the house for an activity once a
day (swimming, bounce house, etc) but am finding it hard to fill in the
time at home. It is much too easy for me to turn on the tv and let them
just veg out so I can veg out too. I really want to spend our time
together more wisely. Any suggestions? I guess I need structure too!
Thanks,
Cindy

In addition to the craft ideas you got, one thought that is not directly
related to what you asked is this. What I would do was try to get myself
some time to do the chores with the kids occupied with something else. As a
result, I never got the chores done. But seemd also not to be doing things
with the kids ... becasue the chores weren't done. Since then, we spend some
amount of time on chores together with sing along CDs or color match
(laundry) games or race games. There are a lot of web resources like
www.dltk-kids.com with craft ideas. There are books in the library on
fingerplays, whcih we use a lot during in between times.

The thing at this age is that they need the tv turned off to fnd their solo
play imaginations. And for hte first day or two of the new tv free habit,
they may not know what to do with themselves without you or the tv to
entertain. But they will figure it out! So you engage with them sometimes,
and sometimes they are expected to play by themselves.

Good luck!

Old June 25th 07, 05:46 PM posted to misc.kids
Beth Kevles

Hi --

The best thing I know of for daily structure is playgroups. A playgroup
doesn't need to be formal, nor does it need to be large. Try to find
some other parents with at least one child the same age as one of
yours. Arrange to meet at local playgrounds at at each other's homes.
You'll have fun meeting with the other parents, the kids will learn
basic social skills and enjoy playing together, and it will offer you
the structure you need. You'll also discover many more age-appropriate
activities to do because those other parents will have had ideas of
their own.

Start asking around among friends and relatives and at local playgrounds
to help you find the other parents you need to form a playgroup.

Good luck,
--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.
Old June 25th 07, 06:08 PM posted to misc.kids
Beliavsky

On Jun 25, 8:37 am, "cindy" wrote:
Hello,
My name is Cindy and I live in Richardson Texas. I have two boys ages 4 and
almost 2. I lurk here a lot because I think you guys have a lot of
knowledge.
I was wondering if you could give me some ideas on setting up a daily
routine.

In addition to the activities others have suggested, you can try
instructing your 4yo in reading and math. Even in an hour per day you
can accomplish a lot. My wife have been doing so with our son, who is
almost four, and I'd estimate he is at the 1st grade level. Math and
reading workbooks are not too expensive.

The 3 month summer vacation is a historical relic, and I've seen
studies saying at the beginning of the school year, teachers need to
spend some time reviewing forgotten material from the previous year.
If the summer break were shorter, there would be less of a need for
this.

Old June 25th 07, 09:54 PM posted to misc.kids
Nikki

"cindy" wrote in message
t...
Hello,
My name is Cindy and I live in Richardson Texas. I have two boys ages 4
and almost 2. I lurk here a lot because I think you guys have a lot of
knowledge.
I was wondering if you could give me some ideas on setting up a daily
routine. I try to get the boys out of the house for an activity once a
day (swimming, bounce house, etc) but am finding it hard to fill in the
time at home. It is much too easy for me to turn on the tv and let them
just veg out so I can veg out too. I really want to spend our time
together more wisely. Any suggestions? I guess I need structure too!
Thanks,

I try to split my day into chunks of time. When do you want free time?
When is the most likely time for them to want to veg and watch TV? During
that block schedule TV time so you all know you have that block of time to
veg. Have a chunk of time for 'chores' This would be things you do and ask
them to help - so a tad more structured for them - yet you hopefully get
something accomplished. Have a chunk that is designated as 'activity'.
some days that might be errands, some a fun think like park, some doing
something at home etc. Meals take up a chunk. I have a small chunk for
Summer Bridges (work book type thing - my kids are older) but you might use
that to do some kind of simple 'experiment'. I'm trying to teach my kids
time management and responsibilities etc. so I actually write the schedule
down on a white board and they like it and so do I. It is easier to do
chores at 1pm if you/they *know* that something fun will happen at 4pm.

My schedule was working like a charm until my babies hit the stage where
they scream a streak if I'm not right with them. Now everything is hard
again but it will change soon enough - I hope, lol.

Old June 25th 07, 10:50 PM posted to misc.kids
dkhedmo

I have two boys ages 3 and 7. My older one's behavior backslides
dramatically when he is away from the routine of the school day for
extended periods, and although I prefer a more unstructured day, this
summer I have made a commitment to having a schedule for the
day/week/summer! I find that the way the morning progresses is most
important to setting up the rest of the day, and except for a holiday or
occasional weekend day, the kids are expected to get up and dressed, and
brush teeth and comb hair immediately after breakfast. That way, they're
ready to go, whatever may be happening.

A good approach is to divide your day into chunks around mealtimes and
naps, and decide what should be happening in each chunk of time - for
me there's the chunk between breakfast and lunch to fill, and the chunk
between nap/tv and dinner to fill. Not that much really, when you look
at it that way. My day is something like this:

*up/dressed/breakfast
*out-of-the-house activity/errands
*lunch/play/ds2 tv
*ds2 nap/ds1 tv & computer
*play/home & neighborhood activities
*dinner/play/bedtime routine

Our big activity of the summer is swimming lessons, which will be M-Th
9:30-11 for 6 weeks. But we've got a few weeks to fill before they
start! I signed up for every membership in town: zoo, science museum,
planetarium, children's museum. I plan to go to each place once before
swimming starts. We have a weekly playdate with the families from ds2's
preschool he'll be attending in the fall, and we'll attend events at the
library or go weekly for books. We will do the museums etc, library, and
playdates in rotation once swimming starts, and after it ends, ds1 will
attend a week long theatre camp and an art camp with classes a couple
times a week over two weeks. Those are through our community center. I
highly recommend checking your library and park and recreation
department for activities, they are often free or cheap with lots of
variety to cover a lot of interests.

All that sounds like a lot, but it's actually not that much. I planned
it so we have a consistent level of activities over the whole course of
the summer, focused in the mornings, to get us up and out and ready to
meet the day. I also fit errands and grocery trips into the morning
plan. Once morning activities finish, we come home for lunch and
playtime, which is out in the yard if weather is nice ( bubbles, t-ball,
badminton,sandbox, trucks, etc), or inside with toys and books (ds1 is
now an independent reader and will read to his brother, and is starting
to get in the habit of curling up somewhere with a good book - yipee!).
Then ds2 naps for a couple hours. During this time ds1 is allowed 1 hour
of computer time and 2 tv shows, and I get a little down time. Some days
we'll do something together while the little one is sleeping. Afternoons
ds1 usually plays with the boy next door either here or over there, we
work in the garden, do a craft or baking project, go to the neighborhood
playground, do jobs around the house, etc. Something different each day,
but with the tv off! A little playtime after dinner, baths a few times a
week, get ready for bed, books, kids in bed somewhere between 8-9pm. Done.

TV does not go on at all in the morning if we are going out unless I
need a shower and some time to get myself organized. In that case, after
they are ready for the day they may each choose one show while I'm
getting ready, then out the door. If dh and I are planning a leisurely
Sunday breakfast, then I'll turn on the tv to something kid oriented but
of my choosing (maybe a nature show or movie), so they're not arguing
over which kid got to pick more shows. Ds1 gets a couple shows in the
afternoon, and ds2 gets a couple split before and after his nap, then
around 5-6 o'clock I declare kid tv over for the day, snacking over for
the day, and I listen to the news on the radio while I make dinner.

I've also been playing a lot of music lately during times the kids would
be tempted to try and wheedle a few extra tv shows; it somehow seems to
deter them from trying to sneak on the tv, or they'd have to ask me to
turn off the music, something they know I would be unlikely to do. Ds1
has a lot of nice kid cds I also enjoy listening to, and we have a lot
of fun blasting those while we're getting ready in the mornings. (They
love my Bruce Springsteen Seger Sessions cd and we dance and sing like
maniacs to Old Dan Tucker and the Erie canal song.)

I really understand that it can be so easy to flip on the tv and veg all
day, and once in a while that's not a bad thing. This is the first year
I've had my own car and I'm determined that this summer we'll get out
and do all the stuff we always mean to do. We've also got family camping
trips, a day at the amusement park, a day to picnic and canoe, etc. on
the schedule. I pulled out a calendar and "scheduled" the whole summer,
but with lots of leeway to change plans, and lots of time at home and in
the neighborhood.

Anyway, good luck and have fun!

Karen

Old June 26th 07, 12:53 AM posted to misc.kids
Jeff

cindy wrote:
Hello,
My name is Cindy and I live in Richardson Texas. I have two boys ages 4 and
almost 2. I lurk here a lot because I think you guys have a lot of
knowledge.
I was wondering if you could give me some ideas on setting up a daily
routine. I try to get the boys out of the house for an activity once a day
(swimming, bounce house, etc) but am finding it hard to fill in the time at
home. It is much too easy for me to turn on the tv and let them just veg
out so I can veg out too. I really want to spend our time together more
wisely. Any suggestions? I guess I need structure too!
Thanks,
Cindy

I would recommending yanking the plug on the TV. And keep it out until
they're both 18. Or at least limiting TV, computer games, and video
games to two hours combined.

Jeff
Old June 26th 07, 03:35 AM posted to misc.kids
toypup

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 10:08:43 -0700, Beliavsky wrote:

The 3 month summer vacation is a historical relic, and I've seen
studies saying at the beginning of the school year, teachers need to
spend some time reviewing forgotten material from the previous year.
If the summer break were shorter, there would be less of a need for
this.

That's why I love our year round system.