Need suggestions for spring break vacation please

Old February 4th 04, 06:31 PM
lizzard woman

Default Need suggestions for spring break vacation please

My DH and I have been going around and around about where to go with our
girls (both 9 yo) during spring break in April. Our move to Calgary meant
forgoing a trip last year so we are willing to do it fairly "big" this year.

Though the girls are off longer, and I can take more time, my DH's job
responsibilities don't allow him to get away for more than a week.

We considered Baja, MX to see the grey whales and their calves but they will
have left after March.

The Mexican Riviera might be nice but I think it would be very similar to
the three years we spent in Puerto Rico.

We considered Hawai'i but cannot decide between staying on an island with
lots to do (especially for the girls ... aquarium, zoo, etc.) versus staying
on one of the less developed, more scenic ones (swimming in waterfall pools,
etc.). We though maybe a few days on Oahu (Waikiki Beach) and a few days on
Kauai but I'm not sure about the best choices for places to stay.

We considered Australia but it seems like too short a trip to go that far.

After being in Calgary for almost a year, we want to go someplace warm,
that's for sure. Otherwise we would do an Alaska whale-watching cruise.

Any ideas would be most appreciated. We have to book soon.

--
sharon, momma to savannah and willow (11/11/94)

Old February 4th 04, 07:38 PM
Clisby

lizzard woman wrote:
[...]

New Orleans, maybe? Bound to be warm by April, and there are a lot of
things there, and in the surrounding area, that would probably be
interesting to 9-year-olds. I used to go to NO every year, and loved it.

Other warm places I'd like to visit but haven't are the Florida Keys and
Bermuda.

Clisby

Old February 4th 04, 07:44 PM
Cathy Kearns

"lizzard woman" wrote in message
My DH and I have been going around and around about where to go with our
girls (both 9 yo) during spring break in April. Our move to Calgary meant
forgoing a trip last year so we are willing to do it fairly "big" this

year.

We considered Hawai'i but cannot decide between staying on an island with
lots to do (especially for the girls ... aquarium, zoo, etc.) versus

staying
on one of the less developed, more scenic ones (swimming in waterfall

pools,
etc.). We though maybe a few days on Oahu (Waikiki Beach) and a few days

on
Kauai but I'm not sure about the best choices for places to stay.

We go to Hawaii, specifically Maui, every year for a week. My nine
year old daughter loves the water slides and hotel amenities at
the Grand Wailea (in Wailea) though we liked the Fairmont
Kea Lani also. On Maui there's a nice aquarium just past
Kihei on the way to Lahaina. But mostly my daughter's like
to swim in the pool, play on the beach, and explore the grounds
or walk along the ocean path and check out other resorts
(and stores, but the older one is 14.) There is a kids club
there, but I haven't used it in years. We also bring my
mother in law and the girls prefer to hang out with their
grandmother.

There are snorkeling trips that leave from the harbor near
the aquarium that take you to see sea turtles and very
colorful sea life. If the girls don't snorkel they have
paddle board with masks built in, so they can see into
the water.

Another island with lots of kid fun things is the big
island of Hawaii. We stayed at the Volcano House,
overlooking the volcanoes for a few days. Lots of
hiking trips and cool places to see old lava flows
as well a lava still flowing. After a few days there
we drove over to the coast near Kona, Kohala.
There are many resorts there, ranging from Kona
Village (we went without kids, but there seem to be lots
of kid activities...) that is rustic huts without phones
or TVs, and is run more like an upscale Club Med,
to the big fin resorts like the Fairmont run Orchid,
the Mauna Lani, or the truly incredible Hilton
Waikoloa. (That one is so huge there is a
monorail running through it.) You can swim
with the dolphins at the Hilton.

Have fun whatever you choose.

Old February 4th 04, 10:12 PM
Rosalie B.

x-no-archive:yes

"lizzard woman" wrote:

My DH and I have been going around and around about where to go with our
girls (both 9 yo) during spring break in April. Our move to Calgary meant
forgoing a trip last year so we are willing to do it fairly "big" this year.

snip
After being in Calgary for almost a year, we want to go someplace warm,
that's for sure. Otherwise we would do an Alaska whale-watching cruise.

Any ideas would be most appreciated. We have to book soon.

You seem to be hooked on whales.

How about Bermuda? An island - easy to get to, warm but not hot in
April so the water may be a bit cool - snorkeling, diving (with
thermal protection), and lots of historic and folkloric and nature
type things to see. http://www12.virtualtourist.com/m/4a9c6/55f/
Including a place called Spittal Pond Reserve.

A place you could possibly see turtles nesting and a volcano erupting
would be Costa Rica (Tortuguero for the first and Arenal for the
second). Might be a bit like Puerto Rico though.

An English speaking country in the Central American area is Belize
http://www12.virtualtourist.com/m/4a9c6/9c3/. In addition to the
diving and snorkeling there is the Cayo district, and various Mayan
ruins. You can also go visit Tikal on a day trip. There is some
whale activity there but I don't know the time table.

Or alternately how about England? In a week you might be able to do
London and one other place. Probably not as warm as Puerto Rico, but
not as cold as the US either. Or maybe Portugal? Or the Canary
Islands? Or the Galapagos
http://www.thetwocaptains.com/logboo.../volume48.html

grandma Rosalie
Old February 4th 04, 10:52 PM
just me

"lizzard woman" wrote in message
My DH and I have been going around and around about where to go with our
girls (both 9 yo) during spring break in April. Our move to Calgary meant
forgoing a trip last year so we are willing to do it fairly "big" this

year.

snip of thoughts

Any ideas would be most appreciated. We have to book soon.

Sharon -

It sounds like you want warm weather, but I'm having a hard time finding
warm weather that is not really close to Florida/PR type of stuff. I did,
however, find an interesting concept that you may enjoy now or want to hold
onto for another time. There are marvelous tree house resorts [at least the
info on line looks marvelous]. One in particular is in Oregon and opens in
mid-march: http://www.treehouses.com/treehouse/...rt/prclst.html You
can horseback ride, go rafting, tree climbing [Big tree climbing apparently]
and so forth.

There is another equally intriguing one located in Arkansas:
http://www.virtualcities.com/vacation/ar/u/aru87v30.htm

and one in Hawaii: http://www.globalideasbank.org/wbi/WBI-39.HTML

Maybe that last one will most pique your interest. I must say that I could
just see the kids' eyes opening wide when they realized they would be
staying in a *tree*!

I hope you find just the right vacation for your family [and excellent
rates, too!]

-Aula

Old February 4th 04, 11:23 PM
lizzard woman

"Clisby" wrote in message

New Orleans, maybe? Bound to be warm by April, and there are a lot of
things there, and in the surrounding area, that would probably be
interesting to 9-year-olds. I used to go to NO every year, and loved it.

Good idea! My DH has been there a few times... I'll bounce the idea off
him.

Other warm places I'd like to visit but haven't are the Florida Keys and
Bermuda.

I've been to the keys (while on research trips) and can report that the free
day I spent on Key West was too much time ; ) Not much to do.

Never been to Bermuda but it sounds similar to some of the Caribbean Islands
we have visited on cruises. (Living in Puerto Rico, cruises departing from
there are very reasonably priced when you can take a 20 minute cab ride to
the ship rather than a plane ride.) Also, we pretty much ruled out the
Caribbean, eastern Mexico, and points east due to the long plane rides from
Calgary and only having 7-8 days.

Thanks for the ideas!

--
sharon, momma to savannah and willow (11/11/94)

Old February 4th 04, 11:26 PM
lizzard woman

"Cathy Kearns" wrote in message
om...

[...]

Wow Cathy, this is EXACTLY the type of specific feedback I was hoping to get
in re Hawai'i at least. I was googling and looking at all the islands and
the various types of accommodations and couldn't decide. May I ask how you
decided on Maui and the big island as opposed to say Oahu and Kauai?

Thank you very much! I've forwarded this to my husband.

--
sharon, momma to savannah and willow (11/11/94)

Old February 4th 04, 11:32 PM
lizzard woman

"Rosalie B." wrote in message

You seem to be hooked on whales.

Why yes we are! I think it would be teh cat's pajamas if my girls could
actually touch a large whale. I would love us to be able to even see a blue
whale in our lifetime.

How about Bermuda? An island - easy to get to, warm but not hot in
April so the water may be a bit cool - snorkeling, diving (with
thermal protection), and lots of historic and folkloric and nature
type things to see. http://www12.virtualtourist.com/m/4a9c6/55f/
Including a place called Spittal Pond Reserve.

Yes Bermuda asounds nice but I'm afraid it might resemble some of the other
islands we have visited on our cruises. Also, I think with only 7-8 days, I
do't want to fly that far from Calgary.

A place you could possibly see turtles nesting and a volcano erupting
would be Costa Rica (Tortuguero for the first and Arenal for the
second). Might be a bit like Puerto Rico though.

That's a very good suggestion and it was our first thought. But I found out
that anti-malarials are necessary when visiting Costa Rica (and Belize) and
I didn't want to deal with that. Given that Puerto Rico has a rain forest
and beaches just like Costa Rica, I agree that it probably would be too much
like Puerto Rico.

An English speaking country in the Central American area is Belize
http://www12.virtualtourist.com/m/4a9c6/9c3/. In addition to the
diving and snorkeling there is the Cayo district, and various Mayan
ruins. You can also go visit Tikal on a day trip. There is some
whale activity there but I don't know the time table.

Anti-malarials are required for Belize also.

Or alternately how about England? In a week you might be able to do
London and one other place. Probably not as warm as Puerto Rico, but
not as cold as the US either. Or maybe Portugal? Or the Canary
Islands? Or the Galapagos
http://www.thetwocaptains.com/logboo.../volume48.html

I had ruled out Europe as being too far for such a short trip but I like the
idea of the Galapagos. That's pretty far (on the equator I believe) but it
would be worth it. I'm going to investigate that suggestion. Hadn't
thought of that!

Thank you very much.

--
sharon, momma to savannah and willow (11/11/94)

Old February 4th 04, 11:34 PM
lizzard woman

"just me" wrote in message
. ..

Sharon -

It sounds like you want warm weather, but I'm having a hard time finding
warm weather that is not really close to Florida/PR type of stuff.

You've successfully identified the crux of the "problem" ; )

[...]

Never heard of that! I'm going to investigate the Hawai'ian one further.

I hope you find just the right vacation for your family [and excellent
rates, too!]

Thank you Aula!

Best regards,

--
sharon, momma to savannah and willow (11/11/94)

Old February 5th 04, 01:16 AM
Tracey

Or alternately how about England? In a week you might be able to do
London and one other place. Probably not as warm as Puerto Rico, but
not as cold as the US either. Or maybe Portugal? Or the Canary
Islands? Or the Galapagos
http://www.thetwocaptains.com/logboo.../volume48.html

I had ruled out Europe as being too far for such a short trip but I like

the
idea of the Galapagos. That's pretty far (on the equator I believe) but

it
would be worth it. I'm going to investigate that suggestion. Hadn't
thought of that!

Galapagos is a fabulous wonderful place to go (I've been twice and can give
you all kinds of info if you want) but in all honesty, you need more than a
week (you have to fly into Quito or Guayaquil, then wait until the next day
for a flight to the Galapagos) and most of the cruises are 7nights/10nights
or 14 nights. You can do a 4 or 5 night trip, but with the distances from
one island to another, you don't get to see nearly as much on the 4/5 night
trip. Also keep in mind that in the Galapagos, you can NOT go on a solo
trip...you can only go on a guided tour with a certified naturalist guide.
And yes, they are right on the equator, 600 miles west of the Ecuadorean
cost.

Tracey in CT