Dad Sentenced to Federal Prison

Old December 24th 04, 03:58 AM
Dusty

Default Dad Sentenced to Federal Prison

Dead Beat Dad Sentenced to Federal Prison, Reports U.S. Attorney
Wednesday December 22, 10:16 am ET

BOSTON, Mass., Dec. 22 /PRNewswire/ -- A Montclair, New Jersey man was
sentenced yesterday in federal court following a trial conviction for
failing to pay child support.
United States Attorney Michael J. Sullivan and Joseph C. Moraski, Regional
Inspector General of the Department of Health and Human Services, Office of
the Inspector General, Office of Investigations, announced that ALAN MONDAY,
age 43, of Montclair, New Jersey was sentenced by Chief U.S. District Judge
William G. Young to 1 year and 1 day in prison, to be followed by 1 year of
supervised release. Chief Judge Young also ordered MONDAY to pay $57,177 in
restitution which represents the full amount of child support that he
presently owes. MONDAY was convicted by a trial jury on April 7, 2004 of the
single charge of failure to pay child support, a felony provision of the
federal Deadbeat Parents Punishment Act.

Evidence presented during the three-day trial proved that MONDAY, a self-
employed satellite telecommunications engineer, willfully failed to pay
child support for his daughter who resides in Massachusetts, from July, 1998
to October, 2001, for a total of over $16,000. In 1992, MONDAY had been
ordered by a Maryland probate court to pay $425 a month in child support to
the mother of his child. MONDAY made his last child support payment in 1995.

"When parents ignore their legal obligation to pay court ordered child
support, innocent children suffer," stated U.S. Attorney Sullivan. "In this
case, the defendant's willful failure to pay for the support of his daughter
justified his conviction."

The case was investigated by Department of Health and Human Services, Office
of the Inspector General, Office of Investigations. It was prosecuted by
Assistant U.S. Attorneys Kimberly West and Seth Berman in Sullivan's Major
Crimes Unit.

Jeesh, I guess this makes me Public Enemy #1.

--
"The most terrifying words in the English language a
I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Old December 24th 04, 07:24 AM
Bbmaxwell

Yeah, you and my daughter's mother .... whose willful failure to support my
daughter gets her numerous state and federal benefits....

Mel Gamble

Subject: Dad Sentenced to Federal Prison

Old December 24th 04, 06:05 PM
Lanark

"Dusty" wrote in

Evidence presented during the three-day trial proved that MONDAY, a self-
employed satellite telecommunications engineer, willfully failed to pay
child support for his daughter who resides in Massachusetts, from July,
1998
to October, 2001, for a total of over $16,000.

Yea, we all know their version of proof is you don't have the money and you
must go to jail for it!

I agree that if he was working and withholding payments intentionally that
he should go to jail, but if he was unemployed and broke in most cases, then
he was railroaded and is now being used to show others to tow the line or
else.

Did it mention anything further about his defence if the so called trial
took 3 days?

Old December 24th 04, 06:23 PM
Lanark

"Dusty" wrote in

Evidence presented during the three-day trial proved that MONDAY, a self-
employed satellite telecommunications engineer,

This stinks of having to work for yourself because nobody will hire a
convicted felon!!!!!
It's obvious the guty is broke!

Here's the typical problem!

Old December 24th 04, 06:32 PM
Cloaked

Well it is tough to judge from way over here!

There used to be a woman in my building whose ex was listed as
"self-employed" by the Family Mantenance Enforcemenet Program here. It
is very difficult for FMEP to touch someone who is "self-employed" for
some reason.

In any case, the guy was ordered to pay something like $400 per month,
and was over $8000 in arrears. Because of his failure to pay, the
woman could not afford to pay her rent and was evicted. She and her
daughter lived with her sister for a while and who knows where after
that.

The failure also has to fall, in this case, on FMEP. After you owe
more than $5000, they can charge you and take you to court for it.
They can seize assets, etc. But this is all too much like work. She
begged them to, and they said "We'll look into it". Yeah right. They
had been looking into it for almost 2 years. The woman even followed
her ex and discovered he was working "under the table" for three
different employers, and renting a HUGE house for big bucks. Armed
with her evidence, she went to FMEP. They still refused to do
anything.

No, it would be too much like work to go after this man.

All the while, me - a guy with a regular job - was paying $800 per
month to my ex for "spousal support". FMEP swooped down on me like a
vulture. It was a piece of cake for them! The ex had a court order, I
had a job - POOF! Money for nothing!

You should have seen the look on this woman's face when I told her how
much I was paying to my ex while her and her daughter were starving.

So there is a possibility that this man had the money and was just
thumbing his nose at the system. If so, he does deserve it.

Unfortunately, as in my case, the court orders are all too often
biased and unfair. Men are often ordered to pay rediculous amounts in
child support - whether they can afford it or not. When that happens,
then it has come to the point where they will now be jailed for it.

Hell why don't we just bring back debtors prisons???

I am reminded of the man here in BC who was ordered to pay $2100 per
month in spousal and child support to his ex and children (4 or 5 I
think). Problem was, he only took home $1900 per month. The judge did
not give a ****. He applied a guideline, and ordered him to pay.

The man killed himself. Now the mother and children have and will get
NOTHING, and the children will grow up not knowing their father.

And the public outcry?? Well there was one. The call was for the judge
to be removed from the bench. And the government just hid behind the
law, and supported the judge's decision. "He applied the guideline and
was within his right to come to the conclusion he reached, he will not
be disciplined".

I think the judge should have been removed from the bench, ordered to
pay the support that he had ordered the dead father to pay, and
stripped of his pension, as welll as be dis-barred and forbidden to
practice law. Perhaps he would have gained some compassion then???

And the government has done NOTHING to modify that guideline to
prevent judges from making such assinine decisions ever again. TO be
frank, the obviosuly don't care.

Astounding.

"Dusty" wrote in

Old December 25th 04, 07:53 PM
Lanark

"Cloaked" wrote in

The man killed himself. Now the mother and children have and will get
NOTHING, and the children will grow up not knowing their father.

What a waste, he shoud have really stuck it to them by volunteering to go to
jail and costing the system $50,000 per year!
If more Fathers did this, it would not be beneficial for the system to
carry on their program of extortion!

Money is the only thing they care about!

A simple cap on CS rates would go alot further than all the laws now put in
place to enforce the extorsionate rates they have now.

BTW, I agree that anybody that intentionally does not help support their
kids should go to jail with no bail!