Why kids should branch out and build tree houses

Old July 26th 06, 09:57 AM posted to misc.kids,alt.parenting.solutions,alt.kids-talk,soc.culture.usa
rcs8

Default AGREED build tree houses with your kids

The Scout thing got me reminiscing. In the mid 1960s, our Assistant Scout
Master put out a weekly troop bulletin to all us scouts. One year, the week
before Halloween (and Devil's Night--this was around Detroit) he printed an
item saying basically that good scouts would use soap instead of wax when
dealing with windows on Devil's Night.

It was just expected that all us kids, scouts or not, would go out and do
mischief on the night before Halloween!
Old July 26th 06, 01:08 PM posted to misc.kids,alt.parenting.solutions,alt.kids-talk,soc.culture.usa
dragonlady

In article .com,
wrote:

Fred Goodwin, CMA wrote:

My son and I started a treehouse last summer. He and his friends were
very excited about it, and all of them pitched-in to help. We got
about 75% of the way done with it, when I received a cease and desist
notice from our neighborhood association.

It seems a neighbor complained that the treehouse violated his privacy
(he was concerned that the kids could see through the trees into the
windows and doors of his home). We had to undo all the work we had
done -- and I still can't get rid of the lumber.

All it took was one neighbor complaining to ruin the fun for my son and
his buddies.

Yeah. Same thing happened to a buddy of mine. Built a treehouse,
neighbor complained, had to remove it. Kids were disappointed. Dunno
why if someone builds a house overlooking a neighbor theres no problem,
but if its a treehouse its gone.

Actually, that's not true: people have been unable to get permits to
add second stories or build houses that are too close to the property
line or too tall in some cases.

Granted, this usually has more to do with access to light or being in
keeping with the neighborhood, but people have gotten houses stopped for
privacy issues, too.

Not that I think this is justification for stopping a tree house!

Old July 26th 06, 01:22 PM posted to misc.kids,alt.parenting.solutions,alt.kids-talk,soc.culture.usa
Matthew Skala

In article ,
R. Steve Walz wrote:
As tempting as that sounds, my son is also a Boy Scout, and I don't
think that "activity" fits in with the Scout Oath & Law!

-----------
Neither does masturbating. Go ask him...

I'm pretty sure that all references to that were removed from Scouting
policies and publications decades ago. Times change.
--
Matthew Skala, CS PhD student, University of Waterloo
-- school
Old July 26th 06, 07:16 PM posted to misc.kids,alt.parenting.solutions,alt.kids-talk,soc.culture.usa
R. Steve Walz

Matthew Skala wrote:

In article ,
R. Steve Walz wrote:
As tempting as that sounds, my son is also a Boy Scout, and I don't
think that "activity" fits in with the Scout Oath & Law!

-----------
Neither does masturbating. Go ask him...

I'm pretty sure that all references to that were removed from Scouting
policies and publications decades ago. Times change.
Matthew Skala, CS PhD student, University of Waterloo

You obviously don't know the BSA.
The inferences are there in the Scout Oath and the recitation of
Scout Virtue. If you don't know sex is dirty by that age you don't
live in Amerika. Oh, I see that you don't, sorta-kinda.
Steve