grand new adventure

Old May 11th 04, 09:37 AM
Dagny

Default grand new adventure

I can't say for certain I'm having #2 in nine months' time, but I have a
doubling hcg interval and a late period.

Oh this is so soon -- I was going to let #2 come when it was ready to come,
but I have fears particularly about what Meg will be drinking when my milk
changes when she is only ten or eleven months! I really, really want her to
come back to the breast when the milk comes back if she self-weans then.

Advice, comfort? Anybody nursed all the way through her pregnancy, and what
was it like?

-- Dagny
Mom to Meg, 10/03
? 1/19/05 ?

Old May 11th 04, 10:27 AM
Stephanie J

"Dagny" wrote

I can't say for certain I'm having #2 in nine months' time, but I have a
doubling hcg interval and a late period.

Oh this is so soon -- I was going to let #2 come when it was ready to

come,
but I have fears particularly about what Meg will be drinking when my milk
changes when she is only ten or eleven months! I really, really want her

come back to the breast when the milk comes back if she self-weans then.

Advice, comfort? Anybody nursed all the way through her pregnancy, and

what
was it like?

-- Dagny
Mom to Meg, 10/03
? 1/19/05 ?

Congratulations!

First off - you may not have any problem with Meg self-weaning. Mine were
older than Meg is when I became pregnant again, but I never lost the milk at
all, though the amount was lower for a couple months. Mine were very excited
to not only have enough milk again, but more than enoughg One word of
warning - the older child gets very weird diapers with the colostrum. Blah.

During pregnancy - you may experience some very sore nipples. I have no
advice other than grin and bear it. Since mine were older I was able to
distract them for a session or two if it was really bad. Lots of nice warm
showers or baths, maybe Tylenol or something if it's really bad. Mine was
the worst for the first couple months and then again towards the end. I
didn't get the pain every time though, if that helps

Probably the hardest thing about nursing through pregnancy for me - other
than the pain factor - was the need to be alone. You can't be alone with an
actively nursing baby or toddlerg I tend to start going inwards in the
past few months of pregnancy - don't want to be around a lot of people, need
the solitude to get my mind in the right place for birthing. Getting that
need fulfilled while also taking care of other kids isn't easy. Nursing
littles have needs too though, so I found myself getting into a weird sleep
pattern in order to make everyone happy! We don't have babysitters or such
so that was the option I had

I've been nursing one or more kids at a time since 1986, and my current baby
is the last one.. While it's been hard at times, and I really could have
used a break once in awhile - I wouldn't trade these last ~18 years for
anything. All the nursing (solo and tandem), the years of family-bed, seldom
breaks since we live so far from relatives and don't have much in common
with most of the parents in our area - any possible negative is so
outweighed by the positives that I would do it again if I were to go back.I
might start later than I didg, but I would still have them all.

Congrats again, and I do hope that this time around, you have the pregnancy
and birth you want. A good one can change your whole outlook on life

Stephanie
mom to 7 - 4 hospital births and 3 unassisted homebirths
17, 15, 12, 8, 6 3 and 11 months (1 yr in 5 days..it went so fast)

Old May 11th 04, 02:31 PM
Em

"Dagny" wrote in message
I can't say for certain I'm having #2 in nine months' time, but I have

doubling hcg interval and a late period.

Oh this is so soon -- I was going to let #2 come when it was ready to

come,
but I have fears particularly about what Meg will be drinking when my

milk
changes when she is only ten or eleven months! I really, really want

her to
come back to the breast when the milk comes back if she self-weans

then.

Advice, comfort? Anybody nursed all the way through her pregnancy,

and what
was it like?

Wow, Dagny! Congratulations! I have definitely seen the temptation in
just letting Nature take its course and have #2 make its appearance on
its own time table. I'm too uptight to *really* do that though! I do
keep trying to decide what our number 2 timeline is though, and it would
be nice in a way to have it be out of my hands. I'm somewhat obsessed
with making the decision actually, which is silly because I don't *have*
to decide anything at the moment and could change my mind even if I
decided anyway!

--
Em
mama to L-baby, 7.5 months old

Old May 11th 04, 04:44 PM
Welches

Dagny wrote in message
.. .

I can't say for certain I'm having #2 in nine months' time, but I have a
doubling hcg interval and a late period.

Oh this is so soon -- I was going to let #2 come when it was ready to

come,
but I have fears particularly about what Meg will be drinking when my milk
changes when she is only ten or eleven months! I really, really want her

come back to the breast when the milk comes back if she self-weans then.

Advice, comfort? Anybody nursed all the way through her pregnancy, and

what
was it like?

I nursed through pregnancy. #1 anounced there was no milk there two days
during 2nd trimestre. On the third day she looked up and grinned and said
"you've put the milk back!". I let her suckle for a brief time when there
was some milk. She tasted the milk a week after #2 was born and decided she
didn't like it, but she still ame back. She rarely nurses now, but will if I
let her.
Debbie

Old May 11th 04, 04:55 PM
Circe

Dagny wrote:
I can't say for certain I'm having #2 in nine months' time, but I
have a doubling hcg interval and a late period.

Ooh, congratulations!

Oh this is so soon -- I was going to let #2 come when it was ready
to come, but I have fears particularly about what Meg will be
drinking when my milk changes when she is only ten or eleven
months! I really, really want her to come back to the breast when
the milk comes back if she self-weans then.

Advice, comfort? Anybody nursed all the way through her pregnancy,
and what was it like?

I nursed my first straight through my second pregnancy with no problems. He
was 15 months old when his sister was conceived, so obviously, he was older
than Meg, but he was *very* attached to nursing and certainly not the least
bit interested in self-weaning. (In fact, I tandem nursed him and his sister
for 14 months and only weaned him when he was 3y2m by bribing him with a
remote control monster truck. And I think he adored his baby sister early on
in large part because the milk came back when she arrived g!)

Some women find nursing through pregnancy to be very difficult because they
experience a lot of nipple soreness. I didn't have that problem, but during
my third pregnancy, I did wind up weaning my second child because her latch
became lazy in a way that was tickly and annoying to me. Because there
wasn't much milk at that stage, she couldn't distinguish between a good
latch and a bad one, so I couldn't figure out how to help her correct it,
and since I was white-knuckling it through each feeding and really starting
to resent it, so I knew it was time to wean her. Fortunately, she weaned
easily (cold turkey), so she was obviously ready.

I think the main thing I would be concerned about in your situation aside
from nipple soreness and potential latch issues is that Meg won't be 12
months old yet when your milk supply starts returning to colostrum and
dwindling. If you don't have enough milk to satisfy her (whether she
continues to nurse throughout the pregnancy or not), you'll have to
supplement with formula for a couple of months because she won't be old
enough for straight cow's milk.

Good luck and HTH!
--
Be well, Barbara
Mom to Sin (Vernon, 2), Misery (Aurora, 4), and the Rising Son (Julian, 6)

Aurora (in the bathroom with her dad)--"It looks like an elephant, Daddy."
Me (later)--"You should feel flattered."

Old May 11th 04, 05:15 PM
Fer

Dagny wrote:
|| I can't say for certain I'm having #2 in nine months' time, but I
|| have a doubling hcg interval and a late period.
|| Oh this is so soon -- I was going to let #2 come when it was ready
|| to come, but I have fears particularly about what Meg will be
|| drinking when my milk changes when she is only ten or eleven months!
|| I really, really want her to come back to the breast when the milk
|| comes back if she self-weans then.
|| Advice, comfort? Anybody nursed all the way through her pregnancy,
|| and what was it like?
|| -- Dagny
|| Mom to Meg, 10/03
|| ? 1/19/05 ?

Wow Dagny! I have no experience with preg/tandem nursing but I had to say
congrats

--?

Jenn
-On bedrest due to PE
-DS Feb'92
-DD Feb'97
-Jellyfish due June 25/04

Old May 11th 04, 05:30 PM
Nan

On Tue, 11 May 2004 04:37:58 -0400, "Dagny"
wrote:

I can't say for certain I'm having #2 in nine months' time, but I have a
doubling hcg interval and a late period.

Oh this is so soon -- I was going to let #2 come when it was ready to come,
but I have fears particularly about what Meg will be drinking when my milk
changes when she is only ten or eleven months! I really, really want her to
come back to the breast when the milk comes back if she self-weans then.

Advice, comfort? Anybody nursed all the way through her pregnancy, and what
was it like?

No advice on the nursing issue, but congratulations!

Nan
Old May 11th 04, 06:11 PM
Dagny

"Dagny" wrote in message
.. .

I can't say for certain I'm having #2 in nine months' time, but I have a
doubling hcg interval and a late period.

Oh this is so soon -- I was going to let #2 come when it was ready to

come,
but I have fears particularly about what Meg will be drinking when my milk
changes when she is only ten or eleven months! I really, really want her

come back to the breast when the milk comes back if she self-weans then.

Advice, comfort? Anybody nursed all the way through her pregnancy, and

what
was it like?

-- Dagny
Mom to Meg, 10/03
? 1/19/05 ?

Thanks everyone. We are still in the no-man's land between not pregnant and
pregnant, and all of this is much on my mind. I appreciate your support.

Old May 11th 04, 08:57 PM
Amy

Can't speak from personal experience, but there is 16 months between my
brother & I and my mother nursed me right through her pg, I never weaned
until about 18 months old. It was fine for her.

.. .

Old May 12th 04, 04:34 AM
Cathy

Dagny wrote:
I can't say for certain I'm having #2 in nine months' time, but I
have a doubling hcg interval and a late period.

Oh this is so soon -- I was going to let #2 come when it was ready to
come, but I have fears particularly about what Meg will be drinking
when my milk changes when she is only ten or eleven months! I
really, really want her to come back to the breast when the milk
comes back if she self-weans then.

Wow, congrats! I'm not the right person to give any advice about tandem
nursing - DD (then 14 months) self-weaned very abruptly the minute I got
pregnant. Good luck with it all.

Cathy
EDD 8 Dec 04