Child modeling 101 questions

Old July 27th 03, 03:30 PM
jersie0

Default Child modeling 101 questions

A professional photographer friend our ours recently suggested that we
consider using our 6yo daughter as a model.

I can think of only positives about this: The photographer is a
lifelong friend with his own studio that's been in business for 20+
years. He's wonderful with kids and has four of his own. Daughter
has, with no prompting, expressed an interest in modeling (she's a
show-off). Daughter is smart, well-grounded (parents give her no
choice!), follows instructions great. We would not allow this to
dominate her life, and are not pushy, starstruck stage parents. Her
schoolwork, her friends, her activities would all come first, as they
do now.

As our friend described, he'd shoot a few pictures of her in ten
minutes or so, and add them to a file that clients (advertising
agencies for the most part) view. If a client expressed interest in
her, she'd be called to model. This is within an hour of our home and
our friend uses kids typically for catalog shots, or Sunday newspaper
advertising supplements.

From anyone else who has been down this road, does the above sound
accurate? How should daughter dress for the 10-minute photo shoot?
What other tips could be offered?
Old July 27th 03, 04:27 PM
Maryilee

From anyone else who has been down this road, does the above sound
accurate? How should daughter dress for the 10-minute photo shoot?
What other tips could be offered?

My son did some modeling when he was ages 9-11. He initially asked to do
commercials, and he did do several, but he liked modeling better. Most of the
photographers made it fun for the kids. One time he did a shoot for a
Montgomery Ward flyer. He was part of a 'family' sitting in a 'living room'.
To make it authentic looking, they had popcorn and rootbeer to snack on during
the actual shoot. g My son loved that part. Another time, for alonger
shoot, the photograper ordered pizza for the kids for afterwards.

So, I say go for it if your dd wants to do it. As far as clothes go, usually
nice but casual (think Gap type stuff). Your photographer friend might offer
suggestions too. Also, see if you can get the 8x10 pics to make into a
composite. That way you can send it to agents yourself too if you want.

Maryilee

Maggie's Christmas page
http://www.angelfire.com/vi/maggie/c...spictures.html
Info on hereditary spherocytosis
http://www.angelfire.com/vi/maggie/spherocytosis.html
Old July 27th 03, 06:43 PM
Steven Starr

"jersie0" wrote in message
A professional photographer friend our ours recently suggested that we
consider using our 6yo daughter as a model.

From anyone else who has been down this road, does the above sound
accurate? How should daughter dress for the 10-minute photo shoot?

ten minutes photo shoot? You may want to talk to other professional
photographers. Don't take chances with your children. Check and recheck
everything. As a professional photographer, I can tell you, there is no
such thing as a ten minute photo shoot for a six year old (they are very
fidgety at that age) aspiring to be a model.

Here's how your ten minutes shoot is going to play out:

Child's too fidgety, we will have to reshoot.
Parents are making kid nervous. She trust me. You need to trust me.
Too much clothing, let's show a little more of this and that.

Folks, any photographer that gives you the advice that you were given is
either full of crap, or they are fakes. You lose nothing by getting
additional opinions.

Old July 28th 03, 06:41 AM
toypup

"Steven Starr" wrote in message

"jersie0" wrote in message
A professional photographer friend our ours recently suggested that we
consider using our 6yo daughter as a model.

From anyone else who has been down this road, does the above sound
accurate? How should daughter dress for the 10-minute photo shoot?

ten minutes photo shoot? You may want to talk to other professional
photographers. Don't take chances with your children. Check and recheck
everything. As a professional photographer, I can tell you, there is no
such thing as a ten minute photo shoot for a six year old (they are very
fidgety at that age) aspiring to be a model.

Here's how your ten minutes shoot is going to play out:

Child's too fidgety, we will have to reshoot.
Parents are making kid nervous. She trust me. You need to trust me.
Too much clothing, let's show a little more of this and that.

Folks, any photographer that gives you the advice that you were given is
either full of crap, or they are fakes. You lose nothing by getting
additional opinions.

I was a little suspicious of the 10 minute shoot, too.

Old July 28th 03, 02:20 PM
James and Karen Stewart

If he is a friend he should be willing to do more then 10 minutes,
especially with a 6 year old... I would ask him aobut what she should wear,
but don't agree to anything you wouldn't normally let her wear yourself.
You make the big decision as to what she should be wearing, but let him give
you advise.
You say he is a lifelong friend with 20 yrs experience so he should know if
she has the right look for a model and if he is a lifelong friend and you
know him well enough he hopefully will give you the best advise for the
business.

Good luck !!

"jersie0" wrote in message
[...]

From anyone else who has been down this road, does the above sound

Old July 28th 03, 04:26 PM
jersie0

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 09:20:39 -0400, "James and Karen Stewart"
wrote:

If he is a friend he should be willing to do more then 10 minutes,
especially with a 6 year old... I would ask him aobut what she should wear,
but don't agree to anything you wouldn't normally let her wear yourself.
You make the big decision as to what she should be wearing, but let him give
you advise.
You say he is a lifelong friend with 20 yrs experience so he should know if
she has the right look for a model and if he is a lifelong friend and you
know him well enough he hopefully will give you the best advise for the
business.

Good luck !!

The "10-minute shoot" was, I think, a figure of speech. The work
entails, I believe, a bit more than a passport photo, but certainly
less than a "model portfolio" shoot.

As I'd indicated, the photographer has been a friend since before I
was in kindergarten, and nothing "funny" is going to happen.
Old July 28th 03, 04:47 PM
BugTrakker

wrote:

The "10-minute shoot" was, I think, a figure of speech. The work
entails, I believe, a bit more than a passport photo, but certainly
less than a "model portfolio" shoot.

As I'd indicated, the photographer has been a friend since before I
was in kindergarten, and nothing "funny" is going to happen.

You asked for advice and feedback and then you go into overtime drive to
counter all the advice that was given to you. Then you should just go ahead
and do it. But don't say that you were never warned. Your original posting
had at least three red flags, which have all been addressed by prior
posters.

The Catholic Church in Boston consisted of men that were professionals, they
witness the birth of many of their victims, and were friend of the family
for many years. People said it could not happen. Well it did.

A normal shoot for modeling purposes is approximately one to two hours long,
and that is with a professional model. Have you ever heard about child
pornography and how photographers superimpose shots? Self denial is another
form of fear.

Old July 30th 03, 03:59 PM
David&Wendy

since it is a friend are you gonna be there with daughter at her shoot??
gap kids clothes seems the way or just as your long time friends of 20
years!!
best of luck!!
wendy
mom of 4 now!!
"jersie0" wrote in message
[...]

From anyone else who has been down this road, does the above sound
accurate? How should daughter dress for the 10-minute photo shoot?
What other tips could be offered?

Other crt rules child abuse investigation unconstitutional Doug General 8 August 15th 03 03:04 PM
Child abuse or poor judgement? Kids wanted to ride in trunk [email protected] General 4 August 3rd 03 04:02 PM
'Horrible' Home Kane General 1 July 16th 03 02:29 AM
(New Mexico) PARENTS SUE EX-SOCIAL WOKER [email protected] General 0 July 4th 03 06:25 AM