One Time Valium & Nursing

Old April 29th 06, 01:10 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default One Time Valium & Nursing

I am having another surgery on my right breast on Monday. The doctor
wanted me to be in the hospital for this one, but Ronnie and I both have
separation issues. I also haven't been able to pump enough milk to leave
him without nursing for a day. It is still his main source of food at 9
months, and his pedi is fine with this... he is healthy, just not
interested in anything else.

I am having this done at the surgeons office and he has given me a 5 mg
Valium to take before he does the procedure. (He will be using lydocaine
too)

We have timed it so I will nurse Ronnie there, take the tablet, wait 15
minutes then he will operate.

This will give us a few hours for it to wear out of my body afterward.

How much a safety issue should I be concerned about with the one time
small dose?

Jo (Other Jo)
Old April 29th 06, 04:28 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

If you were talking about a 6 week old then maybe it would be a
problem.
At worst the little guy might be sleepy.

Valium has a very long half-life, it will stay in your system for quite
a while.
Would your doctor consider a sedative with a shorter half life like
Versed or Fentanyl? They are very effective and are metabolized much
quicker and can be safely administered in a doctor's office. Oral
surgeons use them all the time.
I know Versed comes orally, I'm not sure about Fentanyl.

Old April 29th 06, 11:13 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Kmom wrote:
If you were talking about a 6 week old then maybe it would be a
problem.
At worst the little guy might be sleepy.

Valium has a very long half-life, it will stay in your system for quite
a while.
Would your doctor consider a sedative with a shorter half life like
Versed or Fentanyl? They are very effective and are metabolized much
quicker and can be safely administered in a doctor's office. Oral
surgeons use them all the time.
I know Versed comes orally, I'm not sure about Fentanyl.

I can ask. Thank you for the suggestions.

Jo
Old May 2nd 06, 02:03 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Just FYI,

Valium does have a long half-life approx. 12 hours, but it's CNS properties
have long since abated by that time. Fentanyl is not a tranquilizer! It's a
potent narcotic given only to those who have developed a tolerance to other
strong narcotics such as morphine or oxycodone. As far a Versed goes, it
has short acting potent sleep inducing properties, as well as suppression of
the respiratory system. The point is, 5 mg. of valium is nothing,
wouldn't be enough to perform any surgery with. If you're concerned about
BFing your kid, I wouldn't worry about just taking a valium, any of the
other drugs mentioned, I certainly would pump and dump for atleast 24
hours..I'm sorry about jumping in, but you're getting some bad information
from people on the newsgroup that aren't qualified to give information,
especially inaccurate information out about meds.

Good luck,
Maria in PA school and mom to twins
oups.com...

Old May 2nd 06, 06:21 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Valium has a half-life of 43 hours.
Versed has a half-life of 2-5 hours
Fentanyl has a half-life of 2-4 hours.

valium and versed are L3 and fentanyl is L2

I misspoke, you are correct Fentanyl is not a sedative but a narcotic
that is frequently used during minor surgeries and has some significant
sedative properties.

These drugs are administered to breastfeeding women undergoing
procedures such as endoscopy,colonoscopy and minor surgery all the
time.

If she and her doc decide Valium or other benzodiazepine is best..... I
just hope that whatever they decide to do the procedure is as
comfortable and safe for her as possible and she is able to nurse her
baby when he needs it.

Enjoy PA school, buy yourself a copy of Medications and Mothers Milk

Old May 2nd 06, 08:40 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Marissa" wrote in message
It's a potent narcotic given only to those who have developed a tolerance

to other strong narcotics such as morphine or oxycodone.

That's not exactly true. It's routinely given for surgeries and as a
conscious sedation, but the patient doesn't have to have a tolerance to
other narcotics.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old May 2nd 06, 10:06 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

it's fine, I can't recall the regular doses of vallium, but basically it
seems that all anti anxiety drugs are fine in moderation, they also go out
of your system really fast.

But you could always try without, I've never taken anything of that type
before a procedure and I'm not exactly the least anxious person in the
world.

Anne

Old May 2nd 06, 10:10 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

That's not exactly true. It's routinely given for surgeries and as a
conscious sedation, but the patient doesn't have to have a tolerance to
other narcotics.

yup, I had it when I had my wisdom teeth out as the drug of choice

it's also available in patches and is given as a slow release painkiller as
an alternative to morphine, but in order to avoid morphine, not because a
tolerance to it has been developed.

It's also used in epidural and spinal anethetisia, it shouldn't be necesary
to pump and dump, though the baby should be observed for sedation.

Anne