how do you find good childcare?

Old May 31st 06, 06:37 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default how do you find good childcare?

I'm freaking out - I need to find childcare for Emily starting in September.
I'm going back to work (that is, if I can find childcare I feel comfortable
with and can afford), and over the summer I have a dear friend who will
watch her. But come fall, I don't have anyone. I don't knwo where to
start. I would like to hear about childcare centers or providers from other
mothers. Is there some sort of regional message board where mothers talk
about this sort of thing.

This is the kind of thing that just gives me knots in my stomach...

Old May 31st 06, 07:58 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"oregonchick" wrote in message
. ..
I'm freaking out - I need to find childcare for Emily starting in
September. I'm going back to work (that is, if I can find childcare I feel
comfortable with and can afford), and over the summer I have a dear friend
who will watch her. But come fall, I don't have anyone. I don't knwo
where to start. I would like to hear about childcare centers or providers
from other mothers. Is there some sort of regional message board where
mothers talk about this sort of thing.

We called the local welfare office for a child care resource referral line,
and I did a bit of Googling.

Jess

Old May 31st 06, 08:00 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

oregonchick wrote:
I'm freaking out - I need to find childcare for Emily starting in September.
I'm going back to work (that is, if I can find childcare I feel comfortable
with and can afford), and over the summer I have a dear friend who will
watch her. But come fall, I don't have anyone. I don't knwo where to
start. I would like to hear about childcare centers or providers from other
mothers. Is there some sort of regional message board where mothers talk
about this sort of thing.

This is the kind of thing that just gives me knots in my stomach...

I started with referrals from friends. If not, see around if there are
any websites that post info like classifieds etc from individuals for
babysitting. Then call, meet them, get a feel for it. My criteria were
different. I wanted someone who would watch only 2 or 3 kids. Their
house should be clean, no pets etc. I really recommend home care versus
commercial daycare environment. Especially when the kids get a bit
under the weather, I'm confident that my dcp will take care of the
baby. It's very important.
HTH.

Old May 31st 06, 09:52 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

oregonchick wrote:
I'm freaking out - I need to find childcare for Emily starting in September.
I'm going back to work (that is, if I can find childcare I feel comfortable
with and can afford), and over the summer I have a dear friend who will
watch her. But come fall, I don't have anyone. I don't knwo where to
start. I would like to hear about childcare centers or providers from other
mothers. Is there some sort of regional message board where mothers talk
about this sort of thing.

This is the kind of thing that just gives me knots in my stomach...

check if www.craigslist.org has your city on their list.
Otherwise there are usenet groups for every city for example
houston.forsale. You can post an OT item and ask for daycare referrals.
Make sure you talk to and meet as many of these ladies as possible. I
must have spoken to atleast 20 and visited 6 before I settled on one I
liked.

Old May 31st 06, 10:31 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"oregonchick" wrote in message
. ..
I'm freaking out - I need to find childcare for Emily starting in
September. I'm going back to work (that is, if I can find childcare I feel
comfortable with and can afford), and over the summer I have a dear friend
who will watch her. But come fall, I don't have anyone. I don't knwo
where to start. I would like to hear about childcare centers or providers
from other mothers. Is there some sort of regional message board where
mothers talk about this sort of thing.

This is the kind of thing that just gives me knots in my stomach...

Try this: http://www.oregonchildcare.org/

I'm assuming you're in Oregon if not, go to your state government
website and look for information about childcare.

I used a similar service in my state to get lists of both organized and
licensed daycare centers, licensed in-home providers, and even in-home
providers too small to be licensed. I chose to go with a daycare center
because I felt more comfortable with the level of supervision (lots of
employees to keep an eye on each other) and the fact that we wouldn't have
to worry about the child care provider going on vacation or getting sick. I
visited the three daycare centers in my area and got on their waiting lists.
we actually ended up getting a slot in my 2nd choice before my 1st choice,
but now I'm glad we did because they've been great.
Of course, unlicensed people could be fabulous child carers, but I think
that starting with your state's licensing group is a good first step.

Good luck,
Amy

Old May 31st 06, 11:38 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"oregonchick" wrote in message
. ..
I'm freaking out - I need to find childcare for Emily starting in
September. I'm going back to work (that is, if I can find childcare I feel
comfortable with and can afford), and over the summer I have a dear friend
who will watch her. But come fall, I don't have anyone. I don't knwo
where to start. I would like to hear about childcare centers or providers
from other mothers. Is there some sort of regional message board where
mothers talk about this sort of thing.

This is the kind of thing that just gives me knots in my stomach...

I live in a smallish place and our Chamber of Commerce has a list of
licensed home daycare providers. The daycare centers are listed as well...I
think. What is important depends on the child, their age, and family
values.

My number one recommendation is to go visit the place. I went once
scheduled and dropped in once to the places I looked in to. Honestly, it
was pretty easy to make a decision after that ;-). What I looked for
depended on how old my kids were at the time, some personal preferences,
referrals, and then the basics like cleanliness/safety/discipline/philosophy
etc.

--
Nikki, mama to
Hunter 4/99

Old June 1st 06, 03:32 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

oregonchick wrote:
I don't knwo where to
start. I would like to hear about childcare centers or providers from other
mothers. Is there some sort of regional message board where mothers talk
about this sort of thing.

It's a pretty personal decision -- you need to figure out whether you
are looking for a nanny (live in/live out), a centre, or an in-home
situation (there are licensed ones and unlicensed ones). This'll depend
on your child's personality, your personal preferences/values, your
finances, family logistics, etc.

For a licensed spot, either in a centre or a home day care, your
city/town might have a list on their website. That's a good place to
start. Many areas also have companies that oversee home daycares --
there is one here called Wee Watch. They do background checks on the
caregivers and unannounced inspections and provide backup solutions if
the caregiver is sick and things like that. For unlicensed word of
mouth is really the way to go to find out if you are getting what you
are looking for.

Elle

Old June 1st 06, 12:30 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Hello:

Here are a few suggestions:

1. GRANDPARENTS.

2. AUNTS.

3. UNCLES.

4. COUSINS.

5. MOTHERS SHOULD STAY HOME TILL THE CHILD IS IN FIRST GRADE.

6. SISTERS

7. BROTHERS.

Old June 1st 06, 01:33 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

oregonchick wrote:
I'm freaking out - I need to find childcare for Emily starting in September.
I'm going back to work (that is, if I can find childcare I feel comfortable
with and can afford), and over the summer I have a dear friend who will
watch her. But come fall, I don't have anyone. I don't knwo where to
start. I would like to hear about childcare centers or providers from other
mothers. Is there some sort of regional message board where mothers talk
about this sort of thing.

This is the kind of thing that just gives me knots in my stomach...

Hello,
It's perfectly normal to feel anxious about someone other than yourself
caring for your child, but why are you freaking out? Is it because you
haven't found anywhere yet, or because you simply feel you are not
ready to leave Emily? If the former, well you've made a start by asking
here. If the latter then I'd suggest writing down exactly what it is
you are concerned about. Is it practical issues like continuing to give
her breastmilk or making sure she has enough to play with, or is it
that you don't really want to go back to work and so feel bad about the
whole idea?

Anyway, my suggestions for finding somewhere would be to write down all
the criteria you are looking for and prioritise them, maybe giving
reasons. This will help you to rule out some sorts of care right out.

Then talk to people you know. Do other people where you work use
childcare? Do you belong to mother and baby groups?

If you don't know anyone locally who uses childcare then perhaps you
could look in your local phone and business directory.

Then go and visit them with an open mnd.

Good luck.

Mary Ann