Well, Get me!

Old March 9th 09, 01:09 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
lu-lu

Default Well, Get me!

Hello!

My computer died in the worst kinda way, but I'm back! Back, with an extra
babby! And, would you believe, me, the hater of mess, had a home birth!

Short story is Kieran David Joseph was born at 04.16 on Dec 10th at 41 weeks
gestation, weighing 8lb 15 1/2oz. He's blue eyed and beautiful!! Jessica
absolutely adores him. She slept through the whole thing, and came in at
07.00, said "Hello Mummy, oh, baby boy!"

http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w176/so-lucy/Kieran/

The long story is, we're both lucky to be here, the last month was quite an
ordeal.

At 36 weeks, I went to the Race Circuit where my husband works, for a day
out. I was finishing work that night, and looking forward to maternity
leave. We had lovely day, but just before we went to leave, I developed
severe chest and arm pains. I was quite convinced I was having a heart
attack, and my husband drove me to the hospital. After an ECG and
painkillers, they decided it was the baby lying on a nerve ( ! You wait for
the rest of the story, and see why I had a home birth!!). Obviously, that
was the end of work for me! Two days later, I went grocery shopping while my
husband was at work and my daughter was at the childminders. I'd felt faint
all morning, but when I got to the checkout, I collapsed. They called an
ambulance and I went back to hospital. After radioactive stuff being jabbed
in me, inhaled, bits xrayed, blood drained and drugs put in, they decided
I'd had a pulmary emblolisim, caused by a DVT. That was no fun! I was in for
about 10 days while it dispersed, and was on blood thinning drigs. Jessica
missed me dreadfully and it was heartbreaking as I could only see her every
few days.

Eventually, I was discharged, and the same afternoon, I went to my
consultant appt (I was under a consultant as the baby was spinning round
between breech and normal at least once a day!!), but he decided I was still
breathless and kept me in... At this point I think I began to lose the plot
as I'd only been discharged that morning. They sent me up to the maternity
unit, and after being messed around, and the same tests being ordered, I
discharged myself - I knew I still wasn't well, but the obstetrics and
medical teams were bouncing me round between them and not wanting to accept
responsibilty, and that was keeping me in for even longer, without actually
treating me. Even the midwives said I was doing the right thing by going
home.

I came home at 38 weeks, and asked if I could have a homebirth. The midwive
agreed that I could if I stayed well. I just couldn't face going back into
hospital, and it was doing my family no good whatsoever.

At 39 weeks, I started to get contractions every 2 minutes, and we called
the midwife out - bloody false alarm!!

At 40w5d, I developed a severe migraine that left me blind. The doctor
called an ambulance and I went back in... despite the ambulance, I was left
in a brightly lit waiting room for 5 hours with no help, until i mananged to
find a doctor and cried and begged them to let me lie down, even if they
wouldn't treat me.I hoped that while I was in there they'd consider
induction as I just felt so ill, and they were giving me painkillers that I
worried me were going to harm the baby - they were giving me injections of
pethadine and codeine, and wanted to give me morphine, but I refused it.
This was the Sunday, and by the Monday night I discharged myself as I just
wanted to lie in a dark room and get some sleep - something that would never
happen in the hospital!! BTW, I did ask about induction, and they said it
was too early?!?! I was 5 days overdue already. Bloody jobsworths!

Anyway! The Monday night, DH took me to my best friend's house, so that I
wouldn't have to look after Jessica alone while he was at work. I managed a
really good night's sleep, which helped enormously. The Tuesday morning, it
was down to a headache, and I started to feel better. I noticed I had a
watery discharge, but didn't thing much of it. I took Jessica to the corner
shop, and I just wanted to spend some time with her, and she loves shops
We had a bit of lunch, then both had a nap as she was ired and I was still
sufferering with my head. We got up when my DH returned that evening and I
felt a lot better. The watery dishcarge was still there and there was not a
slight blood tinge to it, but it was nothing heavy. By 9pm, I was getting
mild BH's, and .we thought we'd better go home, just in case - that said,
they were really irregular, like 2 mins and 15 mins apart lol. We got home
about 11pm, and put Jessica to bed as she'd fallen asleep in the car, and by
midnight, all BH's had stopped!

But at about 01.00, they started again with avengance!!! However, having had
one false alarm, I held on for ages before calling anyone, and in the end,
the first midwife arrived at 02.45. When she arrived, I was 7 cm dilated,
and the waters were bulging - there was panic though when she thought the
baby was breech again. The other midwife was still about 30 mins away so
they propped my bum up on pillows to defy gravity and prevent the waters
breaking - not comfy!! Anyway, the second midwife arrived at about 03.30 and
said he was the right way up, just had a bony bum!! My waters broke about
03.55 and I had him there in the bed - no time even for gas & air!!! He was
a compound presentation, so came out with his arm across his face, so that
was sore, but all else was ok.

It was amazing! You might remember that I was having doubts and fears in the
second half of the pregnancy. Well, that worsened severely to the point
where I really didn't want him, and the complications didn't help. Well, the
minute, no, the second I had him, I wanted him. I held him instantly, and it
was me that checked his sex etc. I got that fabled mother's rush of love,
and all doubts vanished. I fed him instantly, before the cord was even cut.
The midwives helped me into the bath, and we were all done and tidied away
by 6am, leaving us to settle as a new family, and it was beautiful.

I am amazed by the whole homebirth thing! I didn't want a homebirth til the
last minute, but I think it really helped us to bond. I also changed his
name, right up to the time I was overdue, he was to be Matthew, but I'd had
enough of the whole pregnancy and my feelings, and wated to start afresh,
and liked the name Kieran - fortunately DH did too!!

It's not been easy, he had what has to have been the world's worst colic!!!!
Argh, I thought we'd all go mad!! But we've been to a cranial osteopath, and
he's worked wonders. Plus, I was supplementing with formula, but I've cut
that out, and his degestive tract has sped up again, and he's now 12 weeks,
so time's helped too.

So yeah, been busy since I was last in! Hope you're all ok - will try and
catch up on some posts

Lucy x

Old March 10th 09, 12:01 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Welches

"lu-lu" wrote in message
Hello!

My computer died in the worst kinda way, but I'm back! Back, with an extra
babby! And, would you believe, me, the hater of mess, had a home birth!

Short story is Kieran David Joseph was born at 04.16 on Dec 10th at 41
weeks
gestation, weighing 8lb 15 1/2oz. He's blue eyed and beautiful!! Jessica
absolutely adores him. She slept through the whole thing, and came in at
07.00, said "Hello Mummy, oh, baby boy!"

http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w176/so-lucy/Kieran/

The long story is, we're both lucky to be here, the last month was quite
an
ordeal.

Congratulations!
Sympathy on the migraine. I got them with #3 and needed codeine to clear
them, which I worried about, but apparently is absolutely fine.
Hope things continue to do well.
Debbie

Old March 10th 09, 04:54 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Jamie Clark

Amazing story. He's just beautiful! Congrats, and welcome earthside,
Kieran!

--

Jamie Clark

www.ClarkDigitalArts.com

Old March 10th 09, 06:22 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Stormlady

Congratulations, glad everything worked out well for you. It must have been
so scary with the complications.

"lu-lu" wrote in message

{all snipped}

Old March 11th 09, 01:11 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Kat

"lu-lu" wrote in message
Hello!

My computer died in the worst kinda way, but I'm back! Back, with an extra
babby! And, would you believe, me, the hater of mess, had a home birth!

Short story is Kieran David Joseph was born at 04.16 on Dec 10th at 41
weeks
gestation, weighing 8lb 15 1/2oz. He's blue eyed and beautiful!! Jessica
absolutely adores him. She slept through the whole thing, and came in at
07.00, said "Hello Mummy, oh, baby boy!"

Congrats!
Sounds like you had a ton on your plate just before, but hopefully all has
settled!
So glad all went reasonably well, and congrats on an excellent home birth!

Old March 11th 09, 09:40 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
betsy

lu-lu wrote:
Hello!

My computer died in the worst kinda way, but I'm back! Back, with an extra
babby! And, would you believe, me, the hater of mess, had a home birth!

Short story is Kieran David Joseph was born at 04.16 on Dec 10th at 41 weeks
gestation, weighing 8lb 15 1/2oz. He's blue eyed and beautiful!! Jessica
absolutely adores him. She slept through the whole thing, and came in at
07.00, said "Hello Mummy, oh, baby boy!"

Congratulations! I've been hoping you were doing OK.

I just spent last
night at the hospital with my 4yo and 13mo. Though I think my child's
care was good and needed, I'm not in any hurry to be back.

Having a baby is tiring enough without being in the hospital unless
necessary.

--Betsy
Old March 13th 09, 06:06 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers

Congratulations, Lucy!

I vaguely remember that you seemed to disappear not long before I found
out I was expecting, I was worried about you because you'd seemed
anxious and though computer troubles was a much more logical
explaination, I also wondered if posting had just become too much for
you, so I'm really glad to hear a positive update!

Given we're now living in the US, I've been working through the pros and
cons of the different systems between here and the UK, what you went
through has definitely given me questions to ask. Midwives here don't
have the same "duty of care" concept that we have in the UK, I have a
horrible suspicion that having a pulmonary embolism in pregnancy would
make them unable to continue to give care, it was always reassuring to
me, that in the UK because of "duty of care", that you could have a
really dire situation, if you stood your ground, they'd still have to
come to a homebirth.

On the other hand, I feel like the quality of midwifery care I'm getting
is like having an independent midwife in the UK, but it's covered by
insurance (though obviously this depends on your insurance company and
which state you are in).

Cheers
Anne
Old March 13th 09, 11:56 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
lu-lu

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
[...]

Ooh, you're expecting again?! Congratulations!! How many weeks are you?

In regards to the homebirth, the primary midwife that delivered Kieran
admitted to be slightly worried, especially when she saw I still had ECG
pads on, that I'd missed as they cover you in them lol. That, coupled with
the sudden prospect of an iminent breech delivery, freaked her slightly, but
the hospital is 45 mins away, even by ambulance transfer, and I think she
knew we wouldn't have made it even if he had been breech - I don't hang
about!

I was really grateful to have had him at home. I was truly sick of
hospitals, and the arrogant consultants - on one occasion, I felt truly
bullied. During an internal on the day I was discharged and re-admitted, the
consultant went and got two more male consultants, and they stood in a row,
deliberately (this, they admitted) between me and DH. They told me my family
were not a priority, and that they were to have no say in my decision to not
the waist down and feeling so vulnerable! It's a wonder that I didn't end up
with pre-eclampsia too.

As for the PE, I think if I'd still been on the blood thinning drug (I
forget what it was called, but was similar to warfrin), they'd have veto'd
the homebirth... I did bleed more this time, but that stopped as soon as I
delivered the placenta.

My only complaint was that they only brought one gas cylinder in, and that
was half empty, so I did the actual delivery with nothing at all! They did
have more in the car, but as they said, by the time they'd have gone and got
it, I'd have had him anyway... I am a little pleased, as I always wondered
if I could do it without, but ooh, it stung! I felt more in control though,
and if I do have a third, I'd like to try and do without.

My main acheivement was doing it without waking Jessica! Result!

Lucy x