Sandbox Help

Old September 20th 04, 01:08 PM
Harley Davidson

Default Sandbox Help

So we forgot to cover the sandbox . . . and got 3 inches of rain. Being so
late in the season, I really don't feel like buying more play sand and
cleaning out the "mud."

Does anyone know of a why to dry out the sand?

I'm not too hopeful, but you never know

TIA,
Harley

Old September 20th 04, 01:20 PM
enigma

"Harley Davidson" wrote in

So we forgot to cover the sandbox . . . and got 3 inches of
rain. Being so late in the season, I really don't feel like
buying more play sand and cleaning out the "mud."
Does anyone know of a way to dry out the sand?
I'm not too hopeful, but you never know

what kind of sandbox is it? i'd tip out or bail as much
standing water out as possible first anyway. if it's one of
those plastic Little Tyke style sandboxes, i'd drill a few
holes in the bottom for drainage.
nothing wrong with playing in muddy sand. you can build
better sandcastles when it's wet
we built our sandbox, so it has a screen bottom & rain just
drains through. if i was doing it over, i'd use a permeable
landscape fabric instead though because screen doesn't stop
the stray grass from popping up (actually, i'd skip the box
altogether & just get a dumptruck load of sand dumped in a big
pile... way more fun than a box).
lee whose 4 year old has all his construction vehicles in the
garden i'm restoring right now
--
It is paradoxical that many educators and parents still
differentiate
Old September 20th 04, 02:35 PM
KD

I usually bale out at much as I can then leave it with the cover off
to dry out on it's own. I've also been known to just take the cover
off and let the water dry up on it's own, but unless you get some warm
days that may take too long! The kids love to help bale it out!

Old September 20th 04, 04:16 PM
Cathy Kearns

"enigma" wrote in message
. ..
(actually, i'd skip the box
altogether & just get a dumptruck load of sand dumped in a big
pile... way more fun than a box).
lee whose 4 year old has all his construction vehicles in the
garden i'm restoring right now

One of our local bike rides through the hills takes us
down a street of very nice homes. In many of the
front yards there are golf greens. In my favorite
there is a golf green with sand traps. The sand
traps are also filled with Tonka construction vehicles.
The family that plays together...

Old September 20th 04, 08:42 PM
newfy.1

"Harley Davidson" wrote in message
So we forgot to cover the sandbox . . . and got 3 inches of rain. Being so
late in the season, I really don't feel like buying more play sand and
cleaning out the "mud."

Does anyone know of a why to dry out the sand?

I'm not too hopeful, but you never know

Well, if you lined the bottom of the sandbox with plastic, poke holes into
it (which you should have anyway) , leave it uncovered on a sunny day and
stir it up a few times during the day. I've done that before and it dried
out just fine. HTH

JennP.

Old September 20th 04, 08:43 PM
newfy.1

"Cathy Kearns" wrote in message
om...

One of our local bike rides through the hills takes us
down a street of very nice homes. In many of the
front yards there are golf greens. In my favorite
there is a golf green with sand traps. The sand
traps are also filled with Tonka construction vehicles.
The family that plays together...

OMG! That is so cool! I love it!

JennP.

Old September 20th 04, 11:46 PM
Harley Davidson

"Cathy Kearns" wrote in message
om...

"enigma" wrote in message
. ..
(actually, i'd skip the box
altogether & just get a dumptruck load of sand dumped in a big
pile... way more fun than a box).
lee whose 4 year old has all his construction vehicles in the
garden i'm restoring right now

One of our local bike rides through the hills takes us
down a street of very nice homes. In many of the
front yards there are golf greens. In my favorite
there is a golf green with sand traps. The sand
traps are also filled with Tonka construction vehicles.
The family that plays together...

Okay, I need to move to that neighborhood!

Old September 20th 04, 11:47 PM
Harley Davidson

"enigma" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Turns out the kids like it just fine like that. Yay! And I was stressing
about my 3 year old finding it all wet!
Thanks!

Harley

Old September 20th 04, 11:48 PM
Harley Davidson

"newfy.1" wrote in message

"Harley Davidson" wrote in message
So we forgot to cover the sandbox . . . and got 3 inches of rain. Being

so
late in the season, I really don't feel like buying more play sand and
cleaning out the "mud."

Does anyone know of a why to dry out the sand?

I'm not too hopeful, but you never know

Well, if you lined the bottom of the sandbox with plastic, poke holes into
it (which you should have anyway) , leave it uncovered on a sunny day and
stir it up a few times during the day. I've done that before and it dried
out just fine. HTH

JennP.

NO! I didn't line it with plastic - which is obviously something to keep in
mind for next year. It's no big deal really, it's just a little tykes crab
sandbox and it only costs about $15 to fill it with fresh sand.

Turns out they like it better now - they can make cakes!

Thanks,
Harley