Poor baby

Old August 16th 06, 12:12 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
lucy-lu

Default Poor baby

Hi all,

Something's up with Jessica, and I don't know what it is My Health
Visitor's on holiday, and the stand-in wasn't much help...

Jessica's 7 1/2 weeks, but has been "Off colour" since Friday. Personally, I
think she's teething. She's had an on-off temperature, which has been
relieved by baby Calpol, she's dribbling excessively, and has a runny nose.
Normally she sleeps through from midnight to 6-7, but she's waking up crying
several times in the night... which is also unusual, as she rarely, rarely
cries, like maybe once or twice in the week. If she wants something or wakes
up, she makes noises until we notice her. She's even crying in the day, the
proper lip-turned-down kinda cry, with proper tears. I've been giving her a
Gummy teether (like a gum-guard shaped pacifier) which seems to help her.

However, this HV says she is not teething (despite my niece being born with
teeth, she says catergorically babies can't get teeth before 5-6 mos. Grrr)
and that she doesn't know what the matter is.

So, if it's not teeth, what's up with my poor baby? It's heartbreaking...
She's normally so happy and smiley, and she just looks so depressed and it
seems to me too long to let a baby be unhappy. She's only gained 8oz this
week (i know that's still quite a bit, but it's not much for her), and et
she's eating a lot, and her nappies are normal...

Thanks for any suggestions

Lucy x

Old August 16th 06, 12:42 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Sheila

"lucy-lu" wrote in message
[...]

If you are really concerned, take her to the Doctor.

At 7and a half weeks, its early to get a proper routine that stays the
same, babies cry! That is their only way of communication, until they start
to make proper speech sounds, gurgles and laughs are a bit later than 7
weeks. When they cry they most always produce tears. Sometimes babies just
change, one week they are little angels, the next, they are grizzly bears.
If she has a runny nose, perhaps she has a cold, is her nose blocked? Her
cheeks will get really red when she is teething. I had a look at that gummy
teether, personally I dont like the look of it! why dont you try a regular
dummy? perhaps she doesn't like that shaped one. Does she have it at night,
perhaps she;s losing it, and that's why she's crying.

About teeth, my cousin was born with 3 teeth, he was 12lb and grew at an
astonishing rate, but the norm is 6months and onward, my first had his at 7
months, daughter got her first on her first birthday.

When she cries, does she draw her legs up?

Old August 16th 06, 12:55 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
lucy-lu

"Sheila" wrote in message
k...
[...]

Hi Sheila

Thanks for the reply. If she's no better tomorrow, I'm going to see the
doctor... she's just not herself. He nose hasn't been blocked, just a bit
runny, and she has had red cheeks... She doesn't have the gummy teether all
the time, but chewing on it seems to help when it's been in the fridge. She
has a normal pacifier when she needs it, but atm, the gummy teether seems
more effective at soothing her atm. She seems to need to chew at the mo. I
haven't noticed her drawing her legs up, but her cry definitely changes when
she's getting dribbly and snuffly - more distressed ifyswim.

Lucy x

Old August 16th 06, 01:14 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
KD

lucy-lu wrote:
"Sheila" wrote in message
k...
[...]

Sorry I can't offer any advice on this, and I hope things improve soon.
But on the teeth topic, your HV is full of hooey. My boy is four months
old and has three teeth. The first two started coming through when he
was three months old. So much for "Can't get teeth before 5 - 6
months."

KD & G

Old August 16th 06, 01:16 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers

However, this HV says she is not teething (despite my niece being born
with
teeth, she says catergorically babies can't get teeth before 5-6 mos.
Grrr)
and that she doesn't know what the matter is.

your health visitor needs to acquire a brain, 1 in 2000 babies are born with
teeth, many many babies start showing signs of teething around 3 months, so
if it is teething Jessie is a little early, but not excessively so.

So, if it's not teeth, what's up with my poor baby? It's heartbreaking...
She's normally so happy and smiley, and she just looks so depressed and it
seems to me too long to let a baby be unhappy. She's only gained 8oz this
week (i know that's still quite a bit, but it's not much for her), and et
she's eating a lot, and her nappies are normal...

poor little love, chances are is it's some kind of infection (though nappies
would usually be off, but then they often are with teething too), just keep
feeding her and loving her and chances are she'll ride it out fine. If her
nose gets bunged up she may find it difficult to breath and feed at the same
time, saline nasal drops can help, not sure if you can just go into the
chemist and buy them, I'm sure you must, though I've always got them on
prescription.

If you get concerned take her to a doctor.

Anne

Old August 16th 06, 01:27 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
[email protected]

Poor thing. Sounds very very familiar, DS has spent a lot of time with
exactly the symptoms you describe. Mostly it has been teething but also
with a cold. For some reason the two often coincide. We've been doing
pretty much as you have been doing, Calpol, his dummy (the only thing
that soothes him) extra bf'ds and super duper cuddles. His ability to
handle it has improved with age and now he just gets a bit crotechety
and clingy. We asked a few docs if it was normal for him to get so many
colds and they constantly reassured us that he is building up his
immune system nicely. No good for his sleeping mind!!

I'm sure you are but I would keep an eye on the temperature and
breathing. It took us a night to realise DS had bronciolitis as his
breathing was similar to that when he got upset with a cold. It was
only when we noticed his whole stomach breathing in that we realised it
was something more.

Oh, and when he was little teething gel at night helped soothe him.

I hope she gets better soon.

Jeni

Old August 16th 06, 02:08 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
lucy-lu

"KD" wrote in message
ps.com...

Sorry I can't offer any advice on this, and I hope things improve soon.
But on the teeth topic, your HV is full of hooey. My boy is four months
old and has three teeth. The first two started coming through when he
was three months old. So much for "Can't get teeth before 5 - 6
months."

KD & G

Hi KD

Ta for the reassurance - as a former Dental Nurse, I knew babies could get
teeth sooner, but you know what it's like, HV's and the like confuse you
with so many contradictions that your brain starts to get fuzzy round the
edges!

Hope your DS isn't suffering with his teeth :/ *hugs*

Lucy x

Old August 16th 06, 02:13 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
lucy-lu

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message

Hi Anne

your health visitor needs to acquire a brain, 1 in 2000 babies are born

with
teeth, many many babies start showing signs of teething around 3 months,

so
if it is teething Jessie is a little early, but not excessively so.

That's kind of what I figure - Had she arrived "on time", she would be 9
weeks already, which is even closer to 3 months.

poor little love, chances are is it's some kind of infection (though

nappies
would usually be off, but then they often are with teething too), just

keep
feeding her and loving her and chances are she'll ride it out fine. If her
nose gets bunged up she may find it difficult to breath and feed at the

same
time, saline nasal drops can help, not sure if you can just go into the
chemist and buy them, I'm sure you must, though I've always got them on
prescription.

Thanks for that - I have heard of the saline drops, but had forgotten about
them, so I will get some when DH gets home. I'm trying to resist ringing the
doctor, as there's nothing really I can put my finger on, apart from the
temperature, which after Calpol is about 38c. She's asleep at the moment
(finally) but had another big cry just before, but not as bad as the
Saturday night cry where she stopped herself breathing ( Ugh. That's the
bad bit about being a new mum - you want to make them better, and don't know
when it's too early to call a doc. When is it paranoia, and when is it time
to phone the doc?

Thanks again

Lucy x

Old August 16th 06, 02:18 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
lucy-lu

wrote in message
ups.com...

Hi Jeni

Poor thing. Sounds very very familiar, DS has spent a lot of time with
exactly the symptoms you describe. Mostly it has been teething but also
with a cold. For some reason the two often coincide. We've been doing
pretty much as you have been doing, Calpol, his dummy (the only thing
that soothes him) extra bf'ds and super duper cuddles. His ability to
handle it has improved with age and now he just gets a bit crotechety
and clingy. We asked a few docs if it was normal for him to get so many
colds and they constantly reassured us that he is building up his
immune system nicely. No good for his sleeping mind!!

It's funny you should mention your ds being clingy - Jessica's being clingy
at the moment, but I put it down to DH finally starting a new job, when
she's been used to having him around... I don't think it's *all* down to
that tho, as she's been like this since Friday, and he's been temping on and
off for the last couple of weeks.

I'm sure you are but I would keep an eye on the temperature and
breathing. It took us a night to realise DS had bronciolitis as his
breathing was similar to that when he got upset with a cold. It was
only when we noticed his whole stomach breathing in that we realised it
was something more.

Oh, I am so glad you mentioned that!!! When she was tiny, she would breathe
like that sometimes, so if she did it now, I would probably not notice it,
or assume it was normal. Thank you for that.

Oh, and when he was little teething gel at night helped soothe him.

I have some Bonjela teething gel (heh, bought for me when I severely burnt
my lip! It works a treat for that too!) which I put on that Gummy Teether
thing - she won't take it off my finger... Not sure if it is her teeth, but
it seems to help soothe her at the moment.

I hope she gets better soon.

Jeni

Thanks Jeni

Lucy x

Old August 16th 06, 03:10 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
KD

lucy-lu wrote:
"KD" wrote in message
ps.com...

Sorry I can't offer any advice on this, and I hope things improve soon.
But on the teeth topic, your HV is full of hooey. My boy is four months
old and has three teeth. The first two started coming through when he
was three months old. So much for "Can't get teeth before 5 - 6
months."

KD & G

Hi KD

Ta for the reassurance - as a former Dental Nurse, I knew babies could get
teeth sooner, but you know what it's like, HV's and the like confuse you
with so many contradictions that your brain starts to get fuzzy round the
edges!

Hope your DS isn't suffering with his teeth :/ *hugs*

Lucy x

I know what you're saying...there's advice for EVERYTHING baby, some of
it right and some of it wrong!

The teeth really don't seem to have bothered DS much at all. He was a
bit crabby when they were first coming through, but it was also very
hot here at the time so it could have just as easily been the heat that
bothered him, or a combination of the two. He just drools a lot, and
wants to get his mouth on everything.

It's kind of funny, when he gets a hold of an arm or really any body
part, he pulls it toward him so he can get him chompers on you! He once
recently got a hold of my nose with his mouth, while his hand was
occupied in an attempt to pull my earring out. A bit difficult to
extract myself!

Good luck!

KD & G