infant constipation

Old October 6th 06, 08:48 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Kim

Default infant constipation

DS is 3 weeks old and seems to be constipated. For the last 3 days, he's
had one bowel movement per day and it is thicker than normal. FWIW, his
diet is about 20% breast milk and 80% similac isomil soy formula. He's been
having a lot of gas, but not much else.

Does anyone have any tricks or tips for getting him to poop? I've tried
gripe water and mylicon drops, which work for the gas, but have done nothing
to bring on a BM. I've also tried the bicycle movements with his legs and
rolling him on his tummy on a ball, which again, has worked for the gas, but
not the BM.

Thanks!

Old October 6th 06, 08:56 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Ericka Kammerer

Kim wrote:
DS is 3 weeks old and seems to be constipated. For the last 3 days, he's
had one bowel movement per day and it is thicker than normal. FWIW, his
diet is about 20% breast milk and 80% similac isomil soy formula. He's been
having a lot of gas, but not much else.

That doesn't sound like constipation at all. That
sounds perfectly normal to me! It is within the realm of
normal for some babies to poop only once every few days. I
wouldn't worry about it.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old October 6th 06, 08:58 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Kim

If so, that's a relief. The lactation consultant told me he should be wet
with every feeding and have about 3-4 BMs per day.

Old October 6th 06, 09:29 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
[email protected]

Kim writes:
: DS is 3 weeks old and seems to be constipated. For the last 3 days, he's
: had one bowel movement per day and it is thicker than normal. FWIW, his
: diet is about 20% breast milk and 80% similac isomil soy formula. He's been
: having a lot of gas, but not much else.

I agree with the other posters that this is probably not a problem, but
breastmilk also has a natural laxative effect. If you can increase the
percentage of breastmilk in his diet, that will probably loosen his stools.

Larry
Old October 6th 06, 09:32 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Ericka Kammerer

Kim wrote:
If so, that's a relief. The lactation consultant told me he should be wet
with every feeding and have about 3-4 BMs per day.

Oh, hooey. That's also a normal pattern, but it's not
the only normal pattern. He should have enough wet diapers,
but it is not necessary for him to poop several times a day.
I'll warn you, though--the babies who tend to poop less
frequently can have some pretty spectacular blowouts when
they *do* poop ;-)

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old October 6th 06, 10:05 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Kim

lol He did that the night before last... One of those up the back, in every
crease imaginable deals... and changing him at 3am in the dark was no easy
task.

Old October 11th 06, 02:27 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Leahbelle'sMommy

Kim:

Breastfed babies definitely have 3-4 BM a day... But - as you already
know - that is because breast milk is digested so much more quickly
then formula... How long has he been on formula?

Now - I don't think there is any cause for concern... I mean 2-3 days
is normal (unless when there is finally a BM and the pooh comes out in
a hard ball - talk to your pediatrician about this)... But for my DD
(she had a night where she had a hard round BM and screamed bloody
murder because of it)- the doctor switched formulas (we were using
Enfamil Lipil with Iron, now we use Enfamil Gentlease w/Lipil)... He
also told us that if she gets to day 3 and still nothing and it seems
as though she is experiencing discomfort, we should use something
called BabyLax... which can be purchased at any grocery store... It is
a teeny tiny enima that - in minutes - will have "explosive" results.
Now, I have never used it myself, I haven't found the need to... But
if DD does have another episode where she has not had a BM in three
days, we will try it...

But trust me - your pediatrician will tell you what he/she thinks is
best for your DS. Also - go with your instincts as well... I wouldn't
recommend any juices or stool softeners because 3 weeks is just to
young (in my opinion).

Good luck and take care!

Old October 11th 06, 03:41 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Welches

"Leahbelle'sMommy" wrote in message
ups.com...
Kim:

Breastfed babies definitely have 3-4 BM a day... But - as you already
know - snip

Breastfed babies can have anything from 6 times a day through to once a
week. This is normal.

#2 only went once a week, but when she did, it was huge!
Debbie

My son is just over six months old and until a few weeks ago,
exclusively breastfed (we just started cereals a week before the six
month mark) .

For about the last four months, he pooped approximately once a week and
even with the cereal, not much more than that. I'm told that as long as
HE'S not uncomfortable and there's no dry, hard poo, no problem. We've
only been doing cereal once a day, just started twice a day, and
there's no noticeable difference in the poop, still pretty soft.

As Debbie said though, when he DOES go, it's enough to overflow the
diaper. Fortunately we've been home most days that this happened.

I was just telling my husband the other day, remarkable how the birth
of a child can bring on so much discussion about poop.

KD & G

No more problems fungus Pregnancy 26 November 27th 05 12:32 AM
Chiro care of baby penises (also: Dr. Poland never sued Dr. Gastaldo) Todd Gastaldo Pregnancy 6 April 7th 04 04:58 PM
CA Gov. Candidate Warren Farrell speaks on responsibility of both parents Wizardlaw Child Support 28 September 3rd 03 08:58 AM