Can you save expressed milk if they don't finish the bottle?

Old December 16th 06, 05:17 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

Default Can you save expressed milk if they don't finish the bottle?

Hello,
My baby tends to eat between 80 ml and 130 ml. The problem is that
when she eats less there is milk left in the bottle. So far we've been
throwing everything out that she doesn't finish. Since it's breast
milk I hate to waste it. Can you put any leftover milk in the bottle
back in the refrigerator and save it for the next feeding?

Thanks,
Me

Old December 16th 06, 09:45 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Lara

wrote:

Hello,
My baby tends to eat between 80 ml and 130 ml. The problem is that
when she eats less there is milk left in the bottle. So far we've been
throwing everything out that she doesn't finish. Since it's breast
milk I hate to waste it. Can you put any leftover milk in the bottle
back in the refrigerator and save it for the next feeding?

Here's some research on the subject:
http://web.archive.org/web/199902240...om.com/~rbruss
/family/thesis.html

and Kellymom's (referenced) take:
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/reusing-expressedmilk.html

Lara
Old December 16th 06, 11:21 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Beth Kevles

Hi --

Both of our kids survived on EBM while I was at work. We decided that
it was okay in the fridge if the bottle was finished within 24 hours.
Our kids both stayed healthy, so I guess that's two data points in favor
of using it instead of tossing it?

--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.
Old December 17th 06, 07:48 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers

Both of our kids survived on EBM while I was at work. We decided that
it was okay in the fridge if the bottle was finished within 24 hours.
Our kids both stayed healthy, so I guess that's two data points in favor
of using it instead of tossing it?

I think I'd rather take a slight risk with the breastmilk being less than
perfect than shortage of ebm being the reason for introducing formula,
afterall formula isn't risk free.

However, I would start by making every effort to not waste the ebm, so
instead of offering bottles of the max size taken, offer bottles close to
the minimum size taken with 30-40ml top ups available.

Cheers

Anne

Old December 17th 06, 07:49 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Erin

I am sure you know this, but just in case... Don't reuse the milk if
it's been previously frozen. Once thawed, it should be consumed in 24
hrs.

Old December 18th 06, 02:24 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Lara

wrote:

Hello,
My baby tends to eat between 80 ml and 130 ml. The problem is that
when she eats less there is milk left in the bottle. So far we've been
throwing everything out that she doesn't finish. Since it's breast
milk I hate to waste it. Can you put any leftover milk in the bottle
back in the refrigerator and save it for the next feeding?

Assuming it's fresh and you have a healthy baby, yes.

Old December 18th 06, 03:56 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
xkatx

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,
My baby tends to eat between 80 ml and 130 ml. The problem is that
when she eats less there is milk left in the bottle. So far we've been
throwing everything out that she doesn't finish. Since it's breast
milk I hate to waste it. Can you put any leftover milk in the bottle
back in the refrigerator and save it for the next feeding?

Thanks,
Me

The odd time that we warm up bottles of EBM for DD2, I do tend to put it
back in the fridge if it's not all gone at that one feeding.
I tend to ensure it's gone within 24 hours or I dump it. I also hate to
waste, and so far, DD2 is completely healthy!