math facts practice is boring

Old January 2nd 08, 11:54 AM posted to misc.kids
Donna Metler

Default math facts practice is boring

"Stephanie" wrote in message

"Beliavsky" wrote in message
On Jan 2, 3:30 pm, "Stephanie" wrote:
Anyone know of any fun games to play to practice math facts? We have math
blaster which is a ton of fun and very helpful. But I am looking for
addition and subtraction facts to 12 to practice on. And I HATE drills.
They
make me think of a friend of mine whose father screamed at him while
doing
flash cards.

"Practice makes perfect", and you are setting a bad example for your
child if your attitude is that practicing arithmetic or other key
subjects is boring. Obviously, you can use flash cards without
screaming.

What posting interface do you use? My replies to someone else in another
group wont quote properly either.....

Rote IS boring. Math is fun. Memorizing addition facts with flash cards is
boring. Of course, I have no intention of screaming. Anything that can be
practiced can be practiced in a fun manner, even if it is just singing of
a song. And it will keep attention longer. Clearly practice is my
intention, thus the request for game ideas.

Twin Sisters publications has audio CDs for a lot of subjects, including
rote learning of addition, subtraction, and so on. Be aware, though, that
unless a child understands the concepts behind addition cold, they're likely
to learn the song and be unable to apply the skills (the same is true with
flashcards). I've known several 2-3 yr olds who have older siblings who have
learned songs for various skills along with their kindergartener or first
grade sibling, and had parents thinking that the child was a genius. But the
child, when asked, has no more concept of the actual skill than how to fly,
and while that early rote learning may come in handy later when they're able
to comprend it, for now, it's of no more use than "Itsy Bitsy Spider".

Old January 2nd 08, 09:49 PM posted to misc.kids
Beliavsky

On Jan 2, 3:30*pm, "Stephanie" wrote:
Anyone know of any fun games to play to practice math facts? We have math
blaster which is a ton of fun and very helpful. But I am looking for
addition and subtraction facts to 12 to practice on. And I HATE drills. They
make me think of a friend of mine whose father screamed at him while doing
flash cards.

"Practice makes perfect", and you are setting a bad example for your
child if your attitude is that practicing arithmetic or other key
subjects is boring. Obviously, you can use flash cards without
screaming.

That said, maybe teaching your child the card game blackjack AKA "21"
would be fun and instructive.
Old January 2nd 08, 09:59 PM posted to misc.kids
Stephanie[_2_]

"Beliavsky" wrote in message
[...]

That is a great idea. Thanks.

Old January 2nd 08, 10:44 PM posted to misc.kids
toto

On Wed, 2 Jan 2008 15:30:10 -0500, "Stephanie" wrote:

Anyone know of any fun games to play to practice math facts? We have math
blaster which is a ton of fun and very helpful. But I am looking for
addition and subtraction facts to 12 to practice on. And I HATE drills. They
make me think of a friend of mine whose father screamed at him while doing
flash cards.

Try http://www.funbrain.com/math/

or

http://oswego.org/ocsd-web/games/Mat...cathymath.html

Old January 2nd 08, 10:57 PM posted to misc.kids
Beliavsky

On Jan 2, 4:59*pm, "Stephanie" wrote:
"Beliavsky" wrote in message

snip

"Practice makes perfect", and you are setting a bad example for your
child if your attitude is that practicing arithmetic or other key
subjects is boring. Obviously, you can use flash cards without
screaming.

What posting interface do you use? My replies to someone else in another
group wont quote properly either.....

Google Groups.

snip

That said, maybe teaching your child the card game blackjack AKA "21"
would be fun and instructive.

That is a great idea. Thanks.

Math facts have been set to a rap music beat. "2 times 1 is 2, 2 times
2 is 4" (but it's much more fun to listen to the actual song). My 4yo
son has actually requested that we play such a CD, after he heard it
the first time. You can Google "multiplication table rap music".
Old January 3rd 08, 12:23 AM posted to misc.kids
Penny Gaines[_2_]

Stephanie wrote:
Anyone know of any fun games to play to practice math facts? We have math
blaster which is a ton of fun and very helpful. But I am looking for
addition and subtraction facts to 12 to practice on. And I HATE drills. They
make me think of a friend of mine whose father screamed at him while doing
flash cards.

If yu can get hold of some 12 sided dice you could use those. Roll the
two dice, and then subtract the smaller number from the larger, or add
them together. Later on this can also be used for multipliation.

You could also use a pack of playing cards, although this only go up to
10.

FWIW, apparently most people tend to use the lower numbers. If you are
not picking numbers randomly, it is worth making sure you do some of the
higer sums like 7x8, 6x9 etc.

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three

Old January 3rd 08, 12:54 AM posted to misc.kids
Stephanie[_2_]

"Donna Metler" wrote in message

"Stephanie" wrote in message

"Beliavsky" wrote in message
[...]

I hear that. Comprehension is not a problem.

Old January 3rd 08, 01:21 AM posted to misc.kids
hedgehog42

On Jan 2, 2:30 pm, "Stephanie" wrote:
Anyone know of any fun games to play to practice math facts? We have math
blaster which is a ton of fun and very helpful. But I am looking for
addition and subtraction facts to 12 to practice on. And I HATE drills. They
make me think of a friend of mine whose father screamed at him while doing
flash cards.

If/when you're stuck somewhere waiting, you can make a game of "how
many ways can you find to say [number between 1 and 12) ?" i.e., 10:
1 + 9, 12 - 2, 6 + 4, 10 - 0, etc.

It's a variation of a rhyming game we played as very young kids --
"how many words can you rhyme with `star'?" -- that seemed like fun to
us at the time while helping hone a discerning ear. Got us through
waits at the doctor, checkout line, traffic jams, etc.

Lori G.
Old January 3rd 08, 03:25 AM posted to misc.kids

Stephanie wrote:
Anyone know of any fun games to play to practice math facts? We have math
blaster which is a ton of fun and very helpful. But I am looking for
addition and subtraction facts to 12 to practice on. And I HATE drills. They
make me think of a friend of mine whose father screamed at him while doing
flash cards.

Junior Monopoly is good for fairly simple addition and subtraction. Let
everyone do their own banking and then you can be teaching both math facts
and how math can be used. It is also fun to play and the play is random
so you don't need to use handicaps when playing with adults and children.

Carol