Husband's and solids; really a bid deal?

Old December 29th 03, 04:04 AM
laurie

Default Husband's and solids; really a bid deal?

Ok, so despite my dire warnings of horrible things to come if we give certain
solids too early, DH just has his own agenda. He hasn't given Christopher
anything really bad like peanutbutter or chocolate, but he's been slipping him
things that, well, don't exactly meet my approval list Last week he gave
him some tiny pieces of clementime, and I seem to recall citrus fruits being
more towards the 12 month mark. (He's 8.5 months). Then yesterday and today,
he apparently gave Christopher some tiny bits of blueberry muffin. So the kid
went nuts and totally loved it.

Ok, so while I know about the increaed risk of allergies and stuff, and he
knows not to do strawberries yet, (my dad is highly allergic)I guess I don't
see the huge deal in the above. I know about the eggs and milk in the muffin
and stuff, but really, there are eggs and milk in baby biscuits.

So, is this really a big deal? It really doesn't seem it to me, but just
thought I'd ask.

laurie
mommy to Jessica, 2.5 years and
Christopher, 8 months
Old December 29th 03, 04:23 AM
HollyLewis

[...]

At 8 months, I don't think it's a particularly big deal, although I would still
be careful about citrus fruits -- not so much for allergy reasons as because
the acidity can cause a nasty diaper rash if he eats too much. Blueberries are
on the okay list from very early on, and the eggs and milk in baked goods are
usually fine considerably before you'd want to offer them by themselves. I do
know a kid who turned out to be allergic to egg, though, and he reacts to even
small amounts -- one of the first times his parents noticed it, they concluded
the culprit was the glaze on a piece of challah he'd eaten. So that's
something to watch.

Holly
Mom to Camden, almost 3
EDD #2 6/8/04
Old December 29th 03, 04:38 AM
laurie

Default Husband's and solids; really a big deal?

Holly wrote:

At 8 months, I don't think it's a particularly big deal, although I would
still
be careful about citrus fruits -- not so much for allergy reasons as because
the acidity can cause a nasty diaper rash if he eats too much.

Ok, that's right. Good to know. He only had a tiny bit, and really really
loved it.

ash if he eats too much. Blueberries are
on the okay list from very early on,

Oh good, I couldn't remember about those.

and the eggs and milk in baked goods are
usually fine considerably before you'd want to offer them by themselves.

Really? Why is that? Does it have to do with the amount? I can see with the
milk being cooked, but obviously I wouldn't give eggs raw (and I'm certainly
not going to give them anyway, I'm just really curious about this stuff!)

Thanks Holly!
Old December 29th 03, 09:32 AM
Elana Kehoe

laurie wrote:

Really? Why is that? Does it have to do with the amount? I can see with the
milk being cooked, but obviously I wouldn't give eggs raw (and I'm certainly
not going to give them anyway, I'm just really curious about this stuff!)

I think it's cause it's, say, one egg in all those muffins, so the
potency is less. I *think*. I should know this, having an egg-allergic
kid, but hey.. :-)

I'd tell hubby to stick to the list tho...that way you can see if
there's any type of reaction. He has plenty of time to give him stuff
next year :-)
--
It's Tis Herself
Old December 29th 03, 11:41 AM
Tine Andersen

"Elana Kehoe" skrev i en meddelelse
I'd tell hubby to stick to the list tho...that way you can see if
there's any type of reaction. He has plenty of time to give him stuff
next year :-)

You also have to consider that the child has two parents. If you cannot make
DH agree to your list you have to accept that some things will happen that
you don't aprove of. If you want Daddy to take part in the caring of the
child you must accept that men and women care for children in different
ways. The one is not necessarily better than the other, but they are
definitely DIFFERENT!

My DH would take a kid out of the house for hours and forget diapers! To me
it would be a catastrophe - he would just go into a drug-store, buy three
extremely expensive diapers of the wrong brand and manage. The two of them
would have a great day and no harm would come to the kid. I would have
fussed over the right sleeping times, the right diapers, the right nutrition
etc.

On the other hand: we have a rule. On some occations we both have the right
to VETO. DH would veto my right to eat certain food items as long as I
nursed (of fear of it going into the milk) and going by bus alone in a too
early age, and I veto parachuting and horse-back riding before coming of
age.

Take an open discussion. Either agree on food stuff or agree on disagreeing.
Or introduce the veto right. But the mother does not have
more/higher/better/(what do one say in English) rights to decide IMNSHO.

(Am I rude now - please tell me 'cause I'm just a Scandinavian outback?)

Happy New Year to everyone

Tine, Denmark

Old December 29th 03, 11:51 AM
Rosie

I think as long as DH is aware about allergic reactions and knows what to do
if one occurs, then I'd just leave them to it. I had grandparents and
friends passing DD all sorts of food from about 7 months and in the end I
just thought **** it, all this mashing up individual foodstuffs seems like
such an UNNATURAL way to teach a baby to eat - DD wasn't really interested
until 11 months anyway.

(Next baby round I will forget about the whole mashed-food-at-six-months
thing and just let them eat whatever they want from my plate when they are
ready, which I expect will be a lot later than six months ... !)

ALL just my opinion of course. Lots of people would completely disagree
with me. : )

ROSIE

Old December 29th 03, 02:29 PM
Stephanie and Tim

"laurie" wrote in message
[...]

What would be a big deal for me would be for DH to surupticiously
countermand a decision that we had come to through discussion. Going behind
my back would be WAY not ok.

Old December 29th 03, 07:58 PM
laurie

Stephanie wrote:

What would be a big deal for me would be for DH to surupticiously
countermand a decision that we had come to through discussion. Going behind
my back would be WAY not ok.

Oh, it's not that. He just doesn't think sometimes, LOL. He came clean on his
own accord after he thought about it and wondered it it was ok.

Old December 29th 03, 09:23 PM
HollyLewis

Really? Why is that? Does it have to do with the amount? I can see with
the
milk being cooked, but obviously I wouldn't give eggs raw (and I'm certainly
not going to give them anyway, I'm just really curious about this stuff!)

I don't know why! I just know that most babies eat bread and biscuits and
cereals that contain egg and/or milk well before they actually eat eggs or
drink milk.

The diluted quantity may have something to do with it, and probably something
about cooking it makes it more readily digestible too. Maybe Beth would know.

Holly