Ending Child Support

Old August 9th 03, 05:50 PM
TOM

Default Ending Child Support

I'm new to the group and looked through the 1300 (or so) posts on my
news server and didn't find the answer, so if this has already been
answered, please forgive.

I have been paying child support ($600.00/month) since 1992. I pay
through an agency named Family Support Registry in Colorodo (my ex and
our son live in CO). When I started paying, there were five children
living with their mom. The support that was set took into consideration
my and her financial circumstances. Since 1994, or so, I have also been
paying $200/month directly to her for the children's medical and dental
insurance.

Anyway, the youngest, and the only one at home, will turn 19 in Sept
2005. Nineteen is the cut off age for support in Colorado unless the
child is still in school (high school, or full-time college). I'm
wondering if anyone on the list knows the steps I have to take to
terminate my child support payments when the time comes. I'm pretty sure
it requires some kind of court order or something like that. I don't
think I can just quit paying.

Thanks,

Tom - Vista, CA

Old August 10th 03, 11:42 PM
Mike Cook

You will have to file a request to modify child support with the court that
originally ordered the support. You should be able to get the forms from
the clerk of the court in that county. They will not provide any advice,
that is the role of an attorney. Do not expect the Family Support Registry
in Colorado to be helpful in any way, and for sure, do not depend on them to
do anything in your interest, which has been my experience. Ideally, hire
an attorney in the county where the court is located to file the papers for
you. It may very well be worth the money you spend. Find an attorney in
that county who handles child support cases for NCP's. If you e-mail me off
list with the county, I might be able to get a name for you.
--Mike

Old August 10th 03, 11:45 PM
Chris Owens

TOM wrote:

[...]

Contact the agency NOW, outline what you have stated here, and
ask them for the procedure for discontinuing payments. Send the
letter by certified mail, return receipt.

Chris Owens