What does breastfeeding advocacy mean to you?

Old November 14th 05, 06:05 AM
Mum of Two

Default What does breastfeeding advocacy mean to you?

"Cuddlefish" wrote in message
wrote:
Anne Rogers wrote:

this is what leads me to think that perhaps formula milk only being
available on prescription would be a good thing, but then people would
end
up substituting with something worse, so it doesn't work either way.

I would be totally against that. Quite apart from it sounding like a
nightmare in practical terms, as Amy's already pointed out, the whole
idea that a woman should only be 'allowed' to give her baby formula if
the authorities approve it is one that's abhorrent to me.

Yep, not all of us mums who have given formula to our babies are
neglectful, inconsiderate women who have no education. Some of us are very
intelligent, caring mothers who have made choices based on our own
situation. I am capable of making these choices myself, without needing a
prescription. Maybe those that would judge need to walk a mile in another
woman's [breastfeeding] shoes.

If I remember rightly, Anne has used formula for non-medical reasons in the
past. So I very much doubt she was judging formula feeding mothers or
implying that they were neglectful, uneducated, or inconsiderate. She never
said anything like that that I'm aware of.
She was just coming up with ideas to solve a very real health issue. Not all
ideas are workable, and I don't think there are any easy answers. Any
discussion on BF always seems to become an emotional debate, which doesn't
seem necessary.

--
Amy
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,

Old November 14th 05, 06:35 AM
Cuddlefish

Mum of Two wrote:
Any discussion on BF always seems to become an emotional debate, which doesn't
seem necessary.

Well if there were no emotion, there would be no advocacy, I think. It
is only when people feel strongly about an issue do they truly act on
their feelings.

Jacqueline
Old November 14th 05, 11:54 PM
Mum of Two

Mum of Two wrote:
Any discussion on BF always seems to become an emotional debate, which
doesn't seem necessary.

Well if there were no emotion, there would be no advocacy, I think. It is
only when people feel strongly about an issue do they truly act on their
feelings.

Perhaps, but hurt feelings and taking offense where none is intended seem to
hinder advocacy, regardless of what the advocacy is for.

Old November 15th 05, 12:48 AM
Cuddlefish

Mum of Two wrote:

Well if there were no emotion, there would be no advocacy, I think. It is
only when people feel strongly about an issue do they truly act on their
feelings.

Perhaps, but hurt feelings and taking offense where none is intended seem to
hinder advocacy, regardless of what the advocacy is for.

No argument here.

Jacqueline
Old November 15th 05, 06:45 PM
Sarah Vaughan

In message , Mum of Two
writes
If I remember rightly, Anne has used formula for non-medical reasons in
the past. So I very much doubt she was judging formula feeding mothers
or implying that they were neglectful, uneducated, or inconsiderate.
She never said anything like that that I'm aware of. She was just
coming up with ideas to solve a very real health issue.

I didn't mean that Anne was being judgemental. I meant that the whole
idea of having formula only available on prescription would end up
coming across that way. As a GP, I do not want to be put in the
position of judging which mothers should be 'allowed' formula. (And
that, as I say, is even before you get to the practical nightmare.)

All the best,

Sarah

--
http://www.goodenoughmummy.blogspot.com

But how do we _know_ that nobody ever said on their deathbed that they wished
they’d spent more time at the office?

Old November 16th 05, 09:26 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Sarah Vaughan" wrote in message
news
In message , Mum of Two
writes
If I remember rightly, Anne has used formula for non-medical reasons in
the past. So I very much doubt she was judging formula feeding mothers or
implying that they were neglectful, uneducated, or inconsiderate. She
never said anything like that that I'm aware of. She was just coming up
with ideas to solve a very real health issue.

I didn't mean that Anne was being judgemental. I meant that the whole
idea of having formula only available on prescription would end up coming
across that way. As a GP, I do not want to be put in the position of
judging which mothers should be 'allowed' formula. (And that, as I say,
is even before you get to the practical nightmare.)

I know, I was responding to Jacqueline :-)