pumping issues

Old January 11th 06, 05:01 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default pumping issues

Any help with the following issue would be much appreciated:

I have a 6 week old daughter. She nurses about 10 times (roughly every
3 to 4 hours) during the day with 6 - 8 wet / dirty disposable diapers
a day. I'm going to have to leave her home twice within the next week
(non-reschedulable appointments), for about 4 hours per day (max) and
after talking to the LC, was advised to pump and keep ready 4 oz of
milk. i.e. 4 oz of milk for each 4 hour stretch that I am away.

So I started pumping last week, but:

1. I am using an Avent Isis pump. I cannot get more than 1 oz per
session. I've also tried manually expressing, with the same result.
I've only expressed 4 times ever so far. Is the low yeild due to the
fact that I've just started expressing ? Or is there a problem with
what I'm doing ?

2. My supply does not seem to a be a problem, since baby is usually
seems pretty satisfied and has the appropriate number of wet diapers.
She used to nurse every 2 hours for the first couple of weeks, but now
has lengthened her between-feed times to 3 - 4 hours by herself. (I
feed on demand without trying to "schedule" feedings).

3. I will be returning to work when baby is 4 months old. I've realized
that I feel very strongly about breastfeeding, and don't want her to
stop getting BM just because I return to work, at least until she is 6
months old.
Initially I had planned to breastfeed exclusively until she was 6
months old, but I can't imagine building up any kind of stash at the
rate I'm pumping. Is there *anything* I can do to build up a stash ?
(other than pump more often of course). Would using an electric pump
help ?

I guess what I'm truly worried about is that I'll have to supplement
once I return to work, and I'd like to avoid that situation if at all
possible. Not only for baby's sake, but also for my own. It's hard
enough for me to imagine that I'm going to have to leave my child with
someone else, I don't want to feel like I've failed her by not being
able to pump.

Also, I'm drinking 2 liters of fluids per 24 hours, eating fenugreek,
cress seeds etc. I'm even occassionaly engorged if baby does not feed
for 5-6 hours (usually at night).

Please help.

PK.(and Baby E)

Old January 11th 06, 05:17 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

If you have a friend with a Pump In Style (double electric), you
might try borrowing it and see if you get better results than
with the Isis. BTW, how long are you pumping each session?

Larry

Old January 11th 06, 05:25 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

PK wrote:
Any help with the following issue would be much appreciated:

I have a 6 week old daughter. She nurses about 10 times (roughly every
3 to 4 hours) during the day with 6 - 8 wet / dirty disposable diapers
a day. I'm going to have to leave her home twice within the next week
(non-reschedulable appointments), for about 4 hours per day (max) and
after talking to the LC, was advised to pump and keep ready 4 oz of
milk. i.e. 4 oz of milk for each 4 hour stretch that I am away.

So I started pumping last week, but:

1. I am using an Avent Isis pump. I cannot get more than 1 oz per
session. I've also tried manually expressing, with the same result.
I've only expressed 4 times ever so far. Is the low yeild due to the
fact that I've just started expressing ? Or is there a problem with
what I'm doing ?

Pumping can take practice. I never had a lot of luck with the Avent I
think because I didn't use it much (the practice part) and because if I
think about pumping I have a hard time letting down, and with a manual
pump I always had to think about what I was doing. Some people do
really well with the Avent.

2. My supply does not seem to a be a problem, since baby is usually
seems pretty satisfied and has the appropriate number of wet diapers.
She used to nurse every 2 hours for the first couple of weeks, but now
has lengthened her between-feed times to 3 - 4 hours by herself. (I
feed on demand without trying to "schedule" feedings).

Pumping output doesn't necessarily reflect supply.

3. I will be returning to work when baby is 4 months old. I've realized
that I feel very strongly about breastfeeding, and don't want her to
stop getting BM just because I return to work, at least until she is 6
months old.
Initially I had planned to breastfeed exclusively until she was 6
months old, but I can't imagine building up any kind of stash at the
rate I'm pumping. Is there *anything* I can do to build up a stash ?
(other than pump more often of course). Would using an electric pump
help ?

First, if you are returning to work, you really need to start your baby
on a regular bottle, otherwise she may very well refuse it when you
need her to take it (been there, done that). I started DD2 on a bottle
a day when she was 4 weeks old. DH gave her the bottle and I only put
1-2 ounces of breastmilk in it, then topped her off with nursing. We
did bottles 4-5 times a week.

Second, you probably want to use a high grade double electric when you
are at work anyway (yes, some women do fine with a manual, but the
double electric usually maintains supply better and is usually much
faster. I also let down better when double pumping for some reason).
Plus, with a hands free bra, I could hook up and then read news groups
or read a book, which helped distract me and made pumping better. Some
women do better looking at a picture of their baby or thinking about
their baby when pumping.

I expect an electric pump would help (I loved my Medela Pump in style,
but have also heard good things about the ameda Purely Yours). Also,
pumping first thing in the morning would get you your biggest yeild,
especially if you can do it 2 hours or so after your last nursing
session. Pumping the same time each day helps too, as does pumping one
side while baby nurses on the other. And when you are back at work,
you'll be pumping to replace a feed so your yeild will be much higher.
I never had trouble pumping enough on one day at work to provide ample
milk for baby the next day (not everyone can do that, but it wasn't an
issue for me).

I guess what I'm truly worried about is that I'll have to supplement
once I return to work, and I'd like to avoid that situation if at all
possible. Not only for baby's sake, but also for my own. It's hard
enough for me to imagine that I'm going to have to leave my child with
someone else, I don't want to feel like I've failed her by not being
able to pump.

Also, I'm drinking 2 liters of fluids per 24 hours, eating fenugreek,
cress seeds etc. I'm even occassionaly engorged if baby does not feed
for 5-6 hours (usually at night).

You'll be fine. And if you do end up needing to supplement with a
little bit of formula, that's OK. Pump and do the best you can.

Mary W.

Old January 11th 06, 06:59 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Just wanted to say that I use an Ameda Purely Yours and I really like it. I
also have the Isis and it does work well for me, but takes longer. I bought
the Ameda from www.babycenter.com for $154 with free shipping, and that's
the best deal from a reputable company I could find. The Purely Yours is a
sealed system, meaning that it is safe to buy a used pump as long as you buy
a new kit to go with it. For the babycenter price though, you might as well
buy new.

Also, instead of a hands-free bra, you could try this method:
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/h...e-pumping.html which uses pony
tail elastics. I use it and it works well, although at first you need to be
more careful until the milk starts to weigh down the bottle.

Amy

Old January 11th 06, 07:30 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

remember at this stage you are pumping in addition to all the feeding, so
you wouldn't expect to get much extra, you do need to keep doing this
consistently to build up enough to replace a feed, then when you miss a feed
you _should_ be able to get more out.

However I very much doubt you will manage with an Isis when you go back to
work.

As for the appointments, I'm not sure what kind of appointments you mean,
but many people will accept a 6 week old baby as they understand you are
nursing, you could even bring the person who is looking after the baby along
with you to look after them outside and just bring them in for feeding.

Cheers

Anne

Old January 11th 06, 08:25 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

PK wrote:

1. I am using an Avent Isis pump. I cannot get more than 1 oz per
session. I've also tried manually expressing, with the same result.
I've only expressed 4 times ever so far. Is the low yeild due to the
fact that I've just started expressing ? Or is there a problem with
what I'm doing ?

I think initially low yields are very common, especially if you are pumping
in between feeds instead of in place of them.

2. My supply does not seem to a be a problem

I very much doubt there is anything wrong with your supply. I wouldn't
spend one minute worrying about that :-)

3. I will be returning to work when baby is 4 months old.

I would recommend you give her a bottle once a day at least 5 days a week or
she may up and refuse at 4mos. It doesn't *always* take that many bottles a
week to ensure a baby continued to accept them but for working mom's it is
important that baby takes a bottle so you don't want to risk it IMO. I had
one refuse bottles and it was terrible. The bottles don't have to be big,
just a couple of ounces.

Is there *anything* I can do to build up a stash ?
(other than pump more often of course). Would using an electric pump
help ?

I always used an electric pump (Medela Pump-In-Style) so I can't compare.
I've heard that some people do better with double electric pumps so that is
worth a try. I gained the most output by pumping every single day first
thing in the morning. The first week there wasn't much output but once my
body adjusted, I was able to get a lot at those times and built up quite a
stash. I didn't worry about when the baby last nursed or would nurse again,
I just pumped each morning. The baby was fine even if he wanted to nurse
right after I pumped. You'll probably find that you pump more when at work
because you'll pump in place of feeds instead of around them.

I did eventually experience some pump resistance at 4mos with my second. I
was able to pump some but could not increase my output no matter what I did.
That coupled with the fact that he really liked his bottles of milk meant I
didn't pump enough to meet his demands. I had stash but at 6mos I had to
supplement a few bottles of formula a week. I anguished for weeks leading
up to that. It really wasn't worth the anguish ;-) The fact that he was
getting his bottles (regardless of what was in them) was far less painful
then worrying about him having enough! I was very glad that I could manage
until 6 months though. Good luck to you!!

--
Nikki
Hunter 4/99

Old January 11th 06, 09:09 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

I guess I'm the exception to most rules when it comes to pumping, but I'll
share my experience...

I exclusively bottle feed EBM. I use a Medela Pump in Style. My daughter
turned one month today, and I currently have about 9 gallons of milk in the
freezer. This is surplus, above and beyond what she eats. I pump every 4
hrs during the day, and once in the middle of the night. Each time I pump,
I get between 12 and 16 oz of milk total. My supply didn't start out this
plentiful. I believe though, that because I was using a good pump, and was
really working to empty out each breast every time I pumped, I gave my body
the signal that it needed to produce more.

Perhaps a better pump is in store, especially when going back to work. If I
were you, I might get a good pump, and then after every feeding with your
daughgter, pump on each side, hopefully sending the signal to make more.
Keep it in a bottle in the fridge, and add to it throughout the day, until
you have a quantity to freeze.

Betsy

oups.com...

Old January 11th 06, 09:16 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

BTW, how long are you pumping each session?

I need almost 10 minutes per oz that I pump. I thought this was a
really low yeild. I feed her on one side and pump on the other after
she's done. I'm still not proficient enough to do both simultaneously.

PK

Old January 11th 06, 09:20 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Pumping can take practice. I never had a lot of luck with the Avent I
think because I didn't use it much (the practice part) and because if I
think about pumping I have a hard time letting down, and with a manual
pump I always had to think about what I was doing. Some people do
really well with the Avent.

I think this may be true for me too. Not only do I have to think about
what I'm doing, I'm also stressed because I'm convinced that I'm not
going to produce enough.

First, if you are returning to work, you really need to start your baby
on a regular bottle, otherwise she may very well refuse it when you
need her to take it (been there, done that). I started DD2 on a bottle
a day when she was 4 weeks old. DH gave her the bottle and I only put
1-2 ounces of breastmilk in it, then topped her off with nursing. We
did bottles 4-5 times a week.

This saturday (the first of my appointments) she will be bottle fed.
I've trid to get her to take the bottle before also.

Second, you probably want to use a high grade double electric when you
are at work anyway (yes, some women do fine with a manual, but the
double electric usually maintains supply better and is usually much
faster. I also let down better when double pumping for some reason).
Plus, with a hands free bra, I could hook up and then read news groups
or read a book, which helped distract me and made pumping better. Some
women do better looking at a picture of their baby or thinking about
their baby when pumping.

I guess getting an electric pump is the way to go then.

You'll be fine. And if you do end up needing to supplement with a
little bit of formula, that's OK. Pump and do the best you can.

Mary W.

Thank you :-)

Old January 11th 06, 09:24 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

V. wrote:
Just wanted to say that I use an Ameda Purely Yours and I really like it. I
also have the Isis and it does work well for me, but takes longer. I bought
the Ameda from www.babycenter.com for $154 with free shipping, and that's
the best deal from a reputable company I could find. The Purely Yours is a
sealed system, meaning that it is safe to buy a used pump as long as you buy
a new kit to go with it. For the babycenter price though, you might as well
buy new.

I was not considering a used pump anyway, so this is the best piece of
news I've heard. Thank you Amy.