Pediatrician recommends supplementing - should I?

Old January 4th 07, 10:29 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Chookie

Default Pediatrician recommends supplementing - should I?

In article . com,
"LubsyB" wrote:

Thanks for all the advice! In answer to some of your questions,
breastfeeding is going much better now (I've had my mom, who
successfully bf'd 3 babies, sit with me many times to watch her latch,
etc.), and I let Sara feed on each side until she gets too sleepy
(10-15 mins per side). If she still acts hungry, I let her go back on
the first breast for a few more minues.

I also have been pumping some, and offering her that after a couple of
feedings a day, and she always takes 1-2 more oz when I offer, so that
makes me think she leaves hungry sometimes -- even after 45 minutes.
One thing of note is that she doesn't eat 10-12 times a day, maybe more
like 8. She typically sleeps for 2-3 hours every time before waking up
to eat. Her diapers are definitely good, and she has long alert
periods where she's perfectly content, so it's not like she's crying
all the time or anything.

You could try offering the breast at other times and seeing if she will have a
go. Eight feeds a day is a bit low, and more frequent feeds will build
supply, so it is worth trying.

Switching breasts while feeding isn't necessary, btw. My elder boy always
fell asleep within 10-15 mins of latching on, so we never got to the second
breast. This was probably a good thing as I had oversupply.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old January 4th 07, 02:57 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
betsy

Chookie wrote:
Switching breasts while feeding isn't necessary, btw. My elder boy always
fell asleep within 10-15 mins of latching on, so we never got to the second
breast. This was probably a good thing as I had oversupply.

Switching breasts isn't necessary if you have oversupply and your baby
is growing well. If you want to increase your baby's milk intake and
increase your milk supply, then switching breasts is a very good idea.

--Betsy

Old January 4th 07, 05:38 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers

Thanks for all the advice! In answer to some of your questions,
breastfeeding is going much better now (I've had my mom, who
successfully bf'd 3 babies, sit with me many times to watch her latch,
etc.), and I let Sara feed on each side until she gets too sleepy
(10-15 mins per side). If she still acts hungry, I let her go back on
the first breast for a few more minues.

I would definitely recommend continuing to switch breasts, if a baby has
fallen asleep and you feel they need to eat more, it's a very good way of
acheiving that. If they are asleep because they are full, then they probably
just won't take the other breast and like Chookie, if you have oversupply,
if they really do need to have more to eat, you want to get them back onto
the original breast.

I also have been pumping some, and offering her that after a couple of
feedings a day, and she always takes 1-2 more oz when I offer, so that
makes me think she leaves hungry sometimes -- even after 45 minutes.
One thing of note is that she doesn't eat 10-12 times a day, maybe more
like 8. She typically sleeps for 2-3 hours every time before waking up
to eat. Her diapers are definitely good, and she has long alert
periods where she's perfectly content, so it's not like she's crying
all the time or anything.

when you offer a bottle, it stimulates a different part of the mouth and
most babies will automatically take some milk, even if they are full, there
was some research that came up with bottle fed babies being overfed by about
an ounce per feed because of this. You may consider not offering the bottle
at all, but still pumping for the stimulations, at 5 weeks old and not a
perfect breastfeeder, she is a prime candidate for nipple confusion or
bottle preference.

Cheers

Anne

Old January 4th 07, 06:25 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Moya

I agree that if you supplement your milk will be less. Just continue
to breastfeed and allow her to grow and her appetite to grow also.
Also make sure that you are drinking at least 10 - 8 ounce glasses of
water daily. You may just not be making enough milk. I had to learn
that on my own. You must keep your body fully hydrated. It makes a
huge differenc.

Moya
On Jan 3, 10:14 am, Irrational Number wrote:
LubsyB wrote:
Hello all!
I'm sure this has been brought up many times before, but I was hoping
for some advice. First some background: my baby girl is 5 weeks old
and was 5lb 11oz at birth (not preemie -- 39 weeks gestation, just
small, but perfectly healthy). We had a HORRIBLE time breastfeeding
the first couple of weeks, and she dropped down to 5 lbs. Since then,
she has gained consistently at the rate of 1/2 oz per day (which is on
the very bottom of the "acceptable" range according to the
pediatrician). He wants me to try supplementing with formula. I want
to avoid that at all costs. What would you all do? Thanks for any
advice!Don't supplement. Just nurse until baby is full

or asleep. Don't time the session, just nurse.

-- Anita --

Old January 5th 07, 03:04 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Nikki

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message

If you do feel this is the problem for your baby then the last thing you
want to do is introduce a bottle, babies like this are much more
suspetible to developing problems with switching between breast and
bottle.

Huh, we must have gotten lucky then. I figured that the risk was quite low
for a 5 week old but I'm glad you spoke up!

I did do the breast compression to. It was also kind of fortunate that he
was a twin because when I tandemed the stronger baby stimulated the let down
for him.

--
Nikki, mama to
Hunter 4/99

Old January 5th 07, 03:08 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Nikki

"LubsyB" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks for all the advice! In answer to some of your questions,
breastfeeding is going much better now

Great news!! So lucky to have a knowledgable mom on hand.

I also have been pumping some, and offering her that after a couple of
feedings a day, and she always takes 1-2 more oz when I offer, so that
makes me think she leaves hungry sometimes

It is hard to make them eat more often when they want to sleep but maybe
worth a try. I had mixed results with that. I think he got a better feed
in if I left him alone for 3hrs instead of trying for every 2. If possible
I would have your mom or someone else give the bottle. As she matures and
becomes more awake and alert I'd try to start eliminating them. I think I
started eliminating them around 8 weeks. It was odvious he no longer needed
them because he didn't always finish them. I also never increased the
amount. If he seemed more hungry I made him nurse more ;-)

You are doing a fantastic job!!

--
Nikki, mama to
Hunter 4/99

Old January 5th 07, 08:08 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers

Huh, we must have gotten lucky then. I figured that the risk was quite
low for a 5 week old but I'm glad you spoke up!

I just read your above post, you say you stopped bottles at 8 weeks. I think
it was actually beyond that point where they became an issue and I was never
giving them as a supplement at the end of a breastfeed, but as an
alternative to a breastfeed, my reason for saying to stop them is in part
what I do see as a longer term risk of bottle preference due to it being
easier, but also that it is unnecessary, unless they are screaming in hunger
at the end of a feed they have had enough, if their tummy isn't quite as
full as it absolutely could be, they will just request more slightly sooner
and if they are still rooting and trying to get more food, use the third
breast, i.e. the first one again (I think the OP said she was doing this
anyway), topping up with a bottle almost reinforces there laziness. I'm also
pretty convinced that the bottle definitely doesn't improve their suck,
which leaves the possibility that it's harming it and ideally you'd like
that suck to improve, my DS's never did, even as a toddler on 1 feed a day,
it was an hour long feed.

With having twins, you did the right thing for your situation, though I
suspect you would have been at high risk of problems if you hadn't phased
out the top ups. Was there actually a gap where he didn't receive any
bottles? Did his suck improve? I remember when he was a newborn, he sounded
like a clone of my DS with his breastfeeding habits, they were similar
gestation as well (37+4), I'm not sure whether my DS's weak such was a
result of his being a 37 weeker, or his size (5lb13oz, IUGR rather than just
small), or just one of those things, DD didn't help in the detective work by
being both later and bigger!

Cheers

Anne

Old January 5th 07, 08:48 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Nikki

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message

I just read your above post, you say you stopped bottles at 8 weeks.

I stopped the top up's then yes. I should also be clear that my supply was
not at issue.

what I do see as a longer term risk of bottle preference due to it being
easier,

That is a legitamate concern. That is why I always made sure someone else
gave that bottle. I was lucky that I had older children that could do it
for me. I think topping up the feed also made him work at every feed.

but also that it is unnecessary, unless they are screaming in hunger
at the end of a feed they have had enough, if their tummy isn't quite as
full as it absolutely could be, they will just request more slightly
sooner and if they are still rooting and trying to get more food, use the
third breast, i.e. the first one again

I do agree completely with this. I stopped the top offs as soon as I felt
sure he was strong enough to keep on working for more milk. In the
beginning I was worried it was a little precarious with him giving out
before getting enough to really grow and gain strength quickly enough.

pretty convinced that the bottle definitely doesn't improve their suck,

I think his latch was not great. I was more sore and for longer then I was
with the first to also.

Was there actually a gap where he didn't receive any
bottles?

No. I just stopped the top off's and he recieved a 3ounce bottle at least 5
days a week. I tried to do that after a feed but didn't worry much if it
wasn't.

Did his suck improve?

Yes. He is fine now. He also did better once I stopped trying to get him
to nurse every 2 hrs and let him go 3hrs if that is what he wanted.

I'm not sure whether my DS's weak such was a
result of his being a 37 weeker, or his size (5lb13oz, IUGR rather than
just small), or just one of those things, DD didn't help in the detective
work by being both later and bigger!

Don't know. Ben was 7lbs11oz and Brock was 8lbs9oz. I did top off Brock
for a little while but I don't think he really needed it. His suck was fine
in the beginning. He still nurses more - likes to comfort nurse.

Gotta run, have a fusser

--
Nikki, mama to
Hunter 4/99

Old January 6th 07, 01:06 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Notchalk

On 2007-01-05 16:08:01 +0800, "Anne Rogers" said:
I remember when he was a newborn, he sounded like a clone of my DS with
his breastfeeding habits, they were similar gestation as well (37+4),
I'm not sure whether my DS's weak such was a result of his being a 37
weeker, or his size (5lb13oz, IUGR rather than just small), or just one
of those things, DD didn't help in the detective work by being both
later and bigger!

I seriously find that 36 and 37 weekers have MUCH more trouble
breastfeeding than 35 and 38+ weekers do. I have no idea why, but it's
something I've noticed from when I first started my Midwifery training
in 2001. There are rarely any exceptions, but of course I only see them
for the first 5 days.

Jo

--

Woman, Wife, Mother, Midwife

Old January 6th 07, 07:53 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers

I seriously find that 36 and 37 weekers have MUCH more trouble
breastfeeding than 35 and 38+ weekers do. I have no idea why, but it's
something I've noticed from when I first started my Midwifery training in
2001. There are rarely any exceptions, but of course I only see them for
the first 5 days.

this is exactly what my midwife told me, she phrased it as 36 weekers are
stupid, 35 weekers are smart!

the info about 37 weekers seems to be less known, though interestingly my DS
had no problems in the first 6-8 weeks, it seemed that despite his weak suck
the milk came out with such force that he consumed plenty of milk, it was as
the hormone control reduced and supply and demand took over that we had
problems and so began weeks of feeding 1hr45mins in every 2hrs as it took
him that long to get a full tummy. Feeding was never fast with him!

Cheers

Anne