MO state law gives preference to Family-not being done

Old June 30th 03, 05:48 AM
Ron

Default MO state law gives preference to Family-not being done

"Fern5827" wrote in message
Neighboring Illinois places 36% of children with relatives, while Missouri

only
places 24% of children with family placements.

Neighboring Illinois has a higher per-capita income that that of the
residents of Missouri. Not to mention diffreent laws.

Subject: Mo fosters have criminal bkgrnd check, fingerprints, too
From: (Fern5827)
Date: 6/28/2003 10:37 AM Eastern Daylight Time
Panel issues final report on Missouri foster care system
By Paul Sloca
Associated Press Writer
06/13/2003

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) -- A new report backs efforts by Missouri

lawmakers to
expand criminal background checks for potential foster parents but

recommends
against opening all child abuse and neglect cases to the public.

The final report by the Commission on Children's Justice was released

Thursday
-- several weeks after the Legislature passed a bill overhauling the

state's
child welfare system. The legislation is pending before Gov. Bob Holden.

Both the legislation and creation of the commission were prompted by last
August's death of 2-year-old Dominic James of Springfield.

Dominic was removed from his mother after a domestic dispute and placed

with a
foster family, where he remained even after his biological father and

others
expressed concern that he showed signs of abuse. Dominic's foster father,

John
Dilley of Willard, has pleaded innocent to charges of abuse and murder.

The commission's report recommends that potential foster parents be

subject to
FBI fingerprint checks and a search of civil court records -- two measures

that
are included in the legislation. But such adults should not have to pay

for the
checks, the report said.

Some legislators have suggested that a background check might have

prevented
Dominic's placement with Dilley, who had been subject at least once to a

civil
restraining order.

Gee, a civil restraining order. That would remove about 20% of the
population of the country. Even I have had a civil restraining order,
restraining me from operating a home daycare in a residential area because
it may have violated the Declaration of Protective Covenants, in another
state. But according to this article this would have been enough to deny me
a foster care license.

Yeah, that makes sense.

In addition, the commission recommended that the state Division of Family
Services -- which runs the foster care system -- should be required to

allow a
parent and child to visit within 24 to 48 hours after the child is removed

from
the home unless a visit could put the child in danger.

This begs the question, "Why?". What is the reasoning?

Further, the commission recommended that open hearings in child welfare

cases
be tested as pilot projects for two years in St. Louis city, Greene and

Cole
counties and two rural counties to be selected by the chief justice of the
Missouri Supreme Court.

But the commission also recommended that all records in child abuse and

neglect
cases remain closed to the public. The bill passed by the Legislature

makes
most court proceedings and records in such cases open to the public.

House Speaker Catherine Hanaway, who sponsored the bill and served on the
commission, had originally proposed open court pilot projects but changed

the
legislation as the bill moved through the process.

``We should go to a statewide opening of records,'' Hanaway, R-Warson

Woods,
said Friday.

Legislators and the commission were in agreement that the state should

make
more use of private contractors to serve children and families.

Made up of people from all branches of government and the private sector,

the
commission has been gathering information from other states and child

advocacy
groups since it was formed in January.

Does it have any foster parents on the commission?

The director of the Department of Social Services, which oversees the

Division
of Family Services, called the new report a valuable tool.

``I will using it as a blueprint to try and improve our child welfare

system in
Missouri,'' said Steve Roling, who was appointed after Katherine Martin
resigned as director two months ago. He noted that the report ``talks

about
solutions and doesn't go looking for blame,'' Roling said.

A novel concept. Most look to lay blame and not fix the problems.

The commission, while noting the current state budget crisis, said its
recommendations were made without considering the money shortage.

Figures. SO, another new tax on the people of Missouri? Or is this just
another commission to make a report that can never be used?

``I think it's the kind of thing where the commission will be throwing the
rocks in the water and hopefully the ripple effects will be picked up by

the
judges and the workers,'' said commission member Betty Sims, a former

state
senator who now is involved with child advocacy groups.

The commission also urged stronger efforts to place foster children with
relatives. While Missouri law gives families preference in foster care

cases,
just 24 percent of placements occur that way. By comparison, 36 percent of
Illinois foster children are placed with relatives.

Another figure that begs the question, "Why?". But then again I think I
have already answered that one. But there are other possibilities, like
Missouri is known as the "Show Me" state. Maybe the relatives have already
seen enough and want nothing to do with their relatives. Happens more often
that you think.

Ron