38 week appt.

Old August 22nd 03, 06:04 PM
Cheryl S.

Default 38 week appt.

Just got back from my 38-week midwife appointment. Everything's fine.
I don't know what my blood pressure or any other measurements were, they
didn't say and I didn't bother to ask. Oh, except I'm measuring right
on 38. I declined to be checked. Met Midwife #3, the only one I hadn't
met yet. We didn't have a lot to talk about. She seemed somehow
offended that I hadn't made an appointment with her until so late.
After noting that it was so late in my pregnancy and that we were
meeting for the first time, she said, "what, don't you like me?" to
which I couldn't think of any response at all but thought to myself, how
would I know if I like you if I haven't met you? I might think that was
a joke that fell flat, but then she went on to ask which office I'd been
going to. I said I'd been seeing Midwife #1 at Office #1 (we were at
Office #2) and then she said, "Well I'm there twice a week", as if to
say, you've had plenty of opportunity to meet me before this. IDK, it
was just weird. But then I am pretty easily annoyed at this point. I
made my next appointment with Midwife #2, anyway.

Rough night last night. Julie was up until 11:00 because of a
thunderstorm. I was startled wide awake by her crying at 2:00 and again
at 3:00. Both times she stopped by the time I could even get up so I
didn't go in. Went right back to sleep at 2:00 but had trouble at 3:00.
Beginning at 4:00 I had an hour and fifteen minutes of strong
contractions, probably about every 5 minutes. Fell asleep in time to be
woken up by DH's alarm. Got up at 7:30 as it was clear I wasn't going
to get any more sleep - hips were excruciating.

Sorry it's such a downer of an update.
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 2 yr., 5 mo.

Cleaning the house while your children are small is like
shoveling the sidewalk while it's still snowing.

Old August 22nd 03, 06:05 PM
Ilse Witch

Cheryl S. wrote:

After noting that it was so late in my pregnancy and that we were
meeting for the first time, she said, "what, don't you like me?"

Sounds to me like she was trying to joke around a bit. I have that
type of humor, and often find 'merkins don't quite get it, and I'll
have to explain it was a joke. Don't take it personal, it was probably
just her weird way of trying to put you at ease. And I can tell, I'm
weird too :-D

Sorry it's such a downer of an update.

Hang in there Cheryl! {{{{{{comfort hug}}}}}

--
-- I
mommy to DS (13m)

Old August 22nd 03, 07:13 PM
GoofeeGyrl

Sorry it's such a downer of an update.
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 2 yr., 5 mo.
And a boy, EDD 4.Sept

Cheryl, I think about you every time I get online, I know you are so anxious to
have your little guy! Must be even harder with the pressure from all of us,
expecting you to go at any time

Sorry about the bad night. We actually had thunderstorms here last night,
which is an oddity for the area we live in. I was awakened several times, as
was DH and the dog, but Sophie slept like a rock! Of course, she refused to
take a nap yesterday so what a happy go lucky afternoon and evening we had
yesterday (although I am sure that is what helped her sleep through the
storms).

I am probably about as grumpy as you lately, I can't tell you of anybody in
my life that I have not gotten bothered by in the last week or so.

I'll send you comfort vibes, hopefully you can get through this final time
without too much discomfort.

Linda
Mommy to Sophie, 2 years
and girl #2, due in 16 days!
Old August 23rd 03, 02:38 AM
Cheryl S.

Ilse Witch wrote in message
Sounds to me like she was trying to joke around a bit. I have
that type of humor, and often find 'merkins don't quite get it,
and I'll have to explain it was a joke. Don't take it personal,
it was probably just her weird way of trying to put you at ease.
And I can tell, I'm weird too :-D

My first thought also was that she was trying to make a joke, but when I
started to chuckle, she did not join in at all. Then there was the rest
of the conversation. I talked to my doula after posting about my
appointment, and she gave me a little history on this midwife, that
suggests that she more likely was being serious than joking. She's only
been with the group 6 months, and comes from another hospital system
that tends to be more interventive. While she has been adjusting to the
new group, I guess there have been some issues with other women not
taking well to her style.

Hang in there Cheryl! {{{{{{comfort hug}}}}}

Thank you, Ilse.

Old August 23rd 03, 02:39 AM
Cheryl S.

Tiina Kartovaara wrote in message
Gosh, it's like a Finnish movie or something (talk about
downers!) right down to the almost surreal dialogue with
Midwife #3. I'm sorry you've had such a hard time lately.
Labor vibes, labor vibes!

LOL - remind me not to watch Finnish movies! :-) Thanks for the labor
vibes.

Old August 23rd 03, 02:58 AM
Cheryl S.

Karen wrote in message
That would have annoyed me too. I didn't meet one
of the midwives in my group when I had baby #4
until I showed up at the hospital and she was on call.
We joked that that was bound to happen-Murphy's Law
and all that-she was far from peeved. One of the midwives
I knew better came in to do the birth though.

I guess some people are more flexible than others...

We've been having similar issues. All the children have summer
colds-nothing horrible-just enough that a few aren't sleeping well
and I have a feeling at least one of them is coming down with an
ear infection.

Oh, just what you need, eh?! Julie woke up from her nap today with a
runny nose too. I guess that is why she didn't sleep very well last
night.

I've been having HORRIBLE insomnia. No real discomfort to
pinpoint I plain just can't sleep. I took a Unisom last night
(left over from morning sickness) and for the first time in ages slept

for
a few solid hours, I'd say a good 5. I'm feeling half decent today.

I had one good night's sleep a few night ago when I took two Tylenol
before going to bed. I may do that tonight. At least I know why I am
awake. Insomnia for no discernible cause is so frustrating! I hope
you're sleeping better soon.

Packed my bag, put away most of my maternity clothes etc..... I'm
looking forward to this heat breaking this weekend so I can weed
my garden before we have this baby.

Wow, weed your garden? You are so incredibly much more ambitious than I
am at this point.

I hope your next few days go better, Cheryl. take it easy!

Thank you Karen!

Old August 23rd 03, 03:35 AM
GoofeeGyrl

The longer it goes on, the later I have been expecting him to come. I'm
not even thinking August anymore.

At least then it will be a nice surprise on the chance he does come sooner
I actually don't want to have this little one before Sept 1st. That's for a
stupid reason too, my bday is in August and I just cannot stand my birthstone!
I don't want to her to have the ugly old green thing.

Linda
Mommy to Sophie, 2 years
and girl #2, due in 16 days
Old August 23rd 03, 06:04 PM
Cheryl S.

GoofeeGyrl wrote in message
At least then it will be a nice surprise on the chance he does
come sooner I actually don't want to have this little one
before Sept 1st. That's for a stupid reason too, my bday is
in August and I just cannot stand my birthstone! I don't want
to her to have the ugly old green thing.

LOL. What is September's birthstone? It's not so silly, I think. I
was delivered by scheduled C-section, two weeks before my due date, and
I was upset for a long time after finding this out (when I was about 8)
that they hadn't waited just a few more days until April so I could have
had diamond as a birthstone! Aquamarines are OK though.

Old August 23rd 03, 06:08 PM
Cheryl S.

Karen wrote in message
Not ambitious just nesting:-)

I think I'm all nested out now. :-)

If it's weeded it gives my Mom one less thing to point
out that I didn't get done. Gotta love mothers!

Oh, please! Tell your Mom to give you a break!

Old August 23rd 03, 06:38 PM
GoofeeGyrl

LOL. What is September's birthstone? It's not so silly, I think. I
was delivered by scheduled C-section, two weeks before my due date, and
I was upset for a long time after finding this out (when I was about 8)
that they hadn't waited just a few more days until April so I could have
had diamond as a birthstone! Aquamarines are OK though.

Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 2 yr., 5 mo.
And a boy, EDD 4.Sept

September is Sapphire. I happen to love Sapphires, even have some in my
engagement ring. I don't think it would look too bad with Aquamarine either,
in case Dh ever decides to get some some jewelry with both girls' birthstones
in them. I have a pretty little ring that I got after Soph was born, so maybe
I'll be getting something after this one is born I am not into jewelry at
all, but I was really excited to get some after Sophie was born.

Sorry about missing out on the diamond!!

Linda
Mommy to Sophie, 2 years
and girl #2, due in 15 days!

UPDATE (Was: Cruise in the 34th week of pregnancy) Elly Pregnancy 1 August 22nd 03 09:05 PM
Cruise in 34th week of pregnancy? Elly Pregnancy 14 August 18th 03 09:59 PM
25/27 Week appt update! Pregnancy 2 August 8th 03 10:56 PM
32 week update Tiina News Pregnancy 8 July 31st 03 03:04 PM
33 Week Appt--complaining, mostly! GoofeeGyrl Pregnancy 11 July 31st 03 04:12 AM