Thoughts on immunization/vaccination?

Old May 7th 04, 07:16 PM
M Wayne

Default Thoughts on immunization/vaccination?

My husband and I have heard a lot of controversy regarding possible negative
side effects from the myriad of shots that babies are subject to here in the
U.S. We plan on talking to our pediatrician about this, just as soon as we
find one. Can anyone recommend any books or articles that might give us some
further insight into whether or not we should go ahead with any/all shots?
I'd also welcome any personal experiences or information. Thanks!
-Melissa
#1 due 7/27/04

Old May 7th 04, 08:39 PM
Larry McMahan

M Wayne writes:
: My husband and I have heard a lot of controversy regarding possible negative
: side effects from the myriad of shots that babies are subject to here in the
: U.S. We plan on talking to our pediatrician about this, just as soon as we
: find one.

Good luck. Almost all pediatricians will simply parrot the party line
of all vaccinations all the time.

: Can anyone recommend any books or articles that might give us some
: further insight into whether or not we should go ahead with any/all shots?

Whooo. What you will find is controversy and debate. You are not going
to find a single source which presents this to you in a coherent, unbiased
manner, because it is such a volatile topic.

The best you can do is read all the commentary pro and agains, and use
the references they use to substain their cases, go to the actual study
articles, read them and decide if they are good research. It is not
something you are going to do overnight.

: I'd also welcome any personal experiences or information. Thanks!
: -Melissa
: #1 due 7/27/04

We refused HEP B, and delayed MMR and chicken pox until past 2 years.
If I could have gotten monovalent M, M, and R (especially seperating
the M an M), I would have done it. I would have made sure there was
at least 6 months between the vaccinations.

Larry
Old May 7th 04, 09:56 PM
Ericka Kammerer

M Wayne wrote:

My husband and I have heard a lot of controversy regarding possible negative
side effects from the myriad of shots that babies are subject to here in the
U.S. We plan on talking to our pediatrician about this, just as soon as we
find one. Can anyone recommend any books or articles that might give us some
further insight into whether or not we should go ahead with any/all shots?
I'd also welcome any personal experiences or information. Thanks!

Tough call. There's a *lot* of bias on both sides.
My recommendation is read widely and, most importantly,
CONSIDER THE SOURCES. Trace recommendations back to what
they were based on, what research, who did the research,
where it was published, etc. etc. etc. If you do that,
you will be in a position to weigh the pros and cons. If
you don't do that, you'll vascillate back and forth, with
everything you read on either side sounding reasonable
until you read the next thing.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old May 8th 04, 01:21 AM
Daye

On Fri, 7 May 2004 14:16:06 -0400, "M Wayne"
wrote:

I'd also welcome any personal experiences or information. Thanks!

Well, I don't follow the recommended schudule, but my children will be
fully vaccinated by 18 months. I give them one vaccine every 4 weeks.
So he had his HiB then 4 weeks later, he had his DTPa, then 4 weeks
later, he had his IPOL. I do it this way so if he has a reaction to
the vaccine, I *know* which one it was.

--
Daye
Momma to Jayan and Leopold