pre-teen motivation

Old June 14th 06, 01:59 AM posted to misc.kids.moderated

Default pre-teen motivation

What are some ways to enrich education through the summer without be
boring. This is for the age group 12-14 boys. I know going to the
library is one way.

Old June 14th 06, 12:22 PM posted to misc.kids.moderated

Hi --

Let the kids choose their own summer project and then help pull it off.
If they want to construct a treehouse, help them with all the project
planning and math involved. If they want to go on a trip, help them
learn everything they need to know about their destination, get the best
prices, etc. Summer is a time for the learning to be child-driven
rather than teacher-driven, and can be VERY effective.

You will, however, probably need to concentrate on making sure the
project goes forward, provide lots of support, etc.

(ANd don't forget that if your child is a reluctant reader, mandate 20
minutes a day of free reading.)

I hope these suggestions help!
--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.

Old June 14th 06, 12:23 PM posted to misc.kids.moderated

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 20:59:42 EDT, "
wrote:

What are some ways to enrich education through the summer without be
boring. This is for the age group 12-14 boys. I know going to the
library is one way.

Family travel to places of historical, environmental, or other
interest, or to visit interesting friends and relatives - including
participating in the travel planning. Travel alone to spend time with
younger or older relatives. Visiting local museums. Touring
manufacturing plants and construction sites. Exploring the region by
bicycle and public transit.

Specialty day or overnight camp programs on topics the boys are
interested in (canoe/wilderness, Shakespeare, jazz improvisation,
archaeology, pioneer-village woodworking & re-enacting, tall ship
saiing, robots, science, geography, art, French immersion, Gaelic
language, bagpiping are a few examples available for that age group
around here).

Building things with a parent. Building things with friends.
Learning to cook. Maintaining a vegetable garden.

Being counsellor-in-training at a camp for younger kids.

At least some of these might not fit your definition of "education",
but I think they're all appropriate ways for children this age to
expand their horizons in the summertime.

Louise

Old June 23rd 06, 02:52 PM posted to misc.kids.moderated

These are all really great ideas!! Thank you! My DD and DS are only 5
and 2 right now but it's encouraging to know that they can grow up to
be happy healthy kids with interests beyond TV and video games.

I like that all of the suggestions let the child lead and follow their
interests. I think that is a very important piece to learning and
self-confidence. Not to mention having fun too!

Thanks again, I will print these out and use them for future reference!

Scott L wrote:
wrote:
What are some ways to enrich education through the summer without be
boring. This is for the age group 12-14 boys. I know going to the
library is one way.

Let me put in a plug for not shying away from being bored.
Schedule a day where nothing is on the schedule, and mandate
no screen time. See what happens.

Otherwise, I would focus on outdoor things that can't be
done other times of year -- gardening, sailing/canoeing/rowing,
camping. Note that learning these things will require
significant time on your part as well. Spend a day to teach
them how to get around town without a car, be it by bike,
bus, subway, whatever.

DS and DD usually spend the summer reading. DS is taking
fencing as well, and they both swim. DS has also been inventing
his own written language. DD spends a lot of time on friends'
boats, learning how to sail.

Scott DD 12 and DS 10