cup training a one-year-old

Old February 13th 07, 04:01 AM posted to misc.kids.moderated
Karen G

Default cup training a one-year-old

For various reasons, we did not push cup training prior to 11 months
with our 4th baby. (With my other children we got them using the cup at
about 8 or 9 months and finished using bottles at 12 months.) She is
really resistant to using the cup. Any suggestions, things to try?

Our basic effort right now is:
1. We switched her two smallest feedings (one at a time) to a cup only.

2. We celebrate and play with the cup in order to et her to drink the
milk in it.

3. We are tried various cups without much success:
Avent (the old style spout)
Playtex (with the valve removed)
a disposable cup

I would really appreciate some help.
Karen G

Old February 13th 07, 01:22 PM posted to misc.kids.moderated
Tracey

"Karen G" wrote in message
For various reasons, we did not push cup training prior to 11 months
with our 4th baby. (With my other children we got them using the cup at
about 8 or 9 months and finished using bottles at 12 months.) She is
really resistant to using the cup. Any suggestions, things to try?

Try teaching her to use a straw. My kids learned to use a straw around 8-9
months old. An easy way to start teaching her this is by putting a straw in
a juice box and squeezing it just a tiny bit. It will also work with a
lidded paper cup She'll probably get the hang of it pretty quickly.

Old February 13th 07, 03:36 PM posted to misc.kids.moderated
[email protected]

On Feb 12, 10:01 pm, Karen G wrote:
For various reasons, we did not push cup training prior to 11 months
with our 4th baby. ... snip... She is
really resistant to using the cup. Any suggestions, things to try?

Does she get anything other than milk and water in the bottle? If so,
I'd make things like juice "cup only" things.

Otherwise, I'd say just keep on trying. She will get it. I don't
think it matters so much if she gets it at for a few months.

--Robyn

Old February 14th 07, 12:36 AM posted to misc.kids.moderated
Jonathan Levy

On Feb 12, 9:01 pm, Karen G wrote:
For various reasons, we did not push cup training prior to 11 months
with our 4th baby. (With my other children we got them using the cup at
about 8 or 9 months and finished using bottles at 12 months.) She is
really resistant to using the cup. Any suggestions, things to try?

Our basic effort right now is:
1. We switched her two smallest feedings (one at a time) to a cup only.

2. We celebrate and play with the cup in order to et her to drink the
milk in it.

3. We are tried various cups without much success:
Avent (the old style spout)
Playtex (with the valve removed)
a disposable cup

I would really appreciate some help.
Karen G

We switched our son from formula in a bottle to milk in a cup
basically cold-turkey at 12 months. That probably says more bad than
good about us as parents since we should have planned ahead a bit.
However, it worked. After trying unsuccessfully to get him to take
the cup for a few days, we just decided the only fluid we were going
to offer him was milk in a cup and hoped he would get thirsty enough
to use the cup before he got dehydrated. (Trust me, we were watching
him closely and were prepared to relent the moment we thought it was
getting at all dangerous.) It worked and he accepted the cup after a
few hours. I am not saying it would work for everyone. Who knows?
It might not have worked for him on a different day but it is an
approach to try. Obviously, the child has to be just *unwilling* to
use the cup and not *unable* to do so. Good luck.

Old February 19th 07, 12:30 AM posted to misc.kids.moderated
Barbara

On Feb 12, 10:01 pm, Karen G wrote:
For various reasons, we did not push cup training prior to 11 months
with our 4th baby. (With my other children we got them using the cup at
about 8 or 9 months and finished using bottles at 12 months.) She is
really resistant to using the cup. Any suggestions, things to try?

Have you considered waiting until she is more ready? There's no magic
to 12 months. Certainly the need to suck may exist much longer than
that.

I've never attended a business meeting in which anyone poured their
coffee or water into a bottle. Drinking from a cup *will* happen!

Barbara

Old February 19th 07, 02:31 AM posted to misc.kids.moderated
Rosalie B.

"Barbara" wrote:

On Feb 12, 10:01 pm, Karen G wrote:
For various reasons, we did not push cup training prior to 11 months
with our 4th baby. (With my other children we got them using the cup at
about 8 or 9 months and finished using bottles at 12 months.) She is
really resistant to using the cup. Any suggestions, things to try?

Have you considered waiting until she is more ready? There's no magic
to 12 months. Certainly the need to suck may exist much longer than
that.

I've never attended a business meeting in which anyone poured their
coffee or water into a bottle. Drinking from a cup *will* happen!

People where you are don't drink bottled water from the bottle? Don't
smoke? Don't drink from a straw? -- all those things are oral type
habits. Just because it doesn't have a nipple doesn't mean it isn't a
bottle.

I also transitioned my kids to a cup, at least to practice on, before
they were weaned (they never got a bottle though they did get a
pacifier if they wanted one).

But I see from reading over my mom's old letters that my sister's
first baby got a bottle after she was a year old (and did NOT get a
pacifier) and was also still eating jarred baby food and baby cereal,
whereas mine stopped eating baby food earlier than that.