Super Baby Food?

Old September 23rd 03, 04:24 PM
Melissa

Default Super Baby Food?

I'm in the process of reading Super Baby Food and I have several questions
for you all because I want to know if the diet is (a) realistic and (b)
worthwhile.

First off, have any of you done this diet? If so, was it worth it or should
I pull out the best ideas from the book and use my own judgement.

My main issue with the book, so far, is that although she goes on (and on
and on) about organic and fresh, she seems to gear everything towards a
formula fed baby who starts solids at four months. Her feeding schedules
show bf'ing/bottle feeding only about six times a day and we're certainly
doing a lot more than that and DD is five months old. She calls all
non-solid feedings 'bottles', which also concerns me. Finally, she prefers
to make her own whole grain rice cereal and use iron supplements rather than
using store-bought cereal. I'm thinking supplements are supplements so
whether they're in a store bought cereal or added to my own cereal, rice
cereal is rice cereal. Am I wrong here or am I missing something?

TIA. I want to do what's best for DD and do plan to make most of her food
myself, but I also don't want to get psycho about this stuff and want
mealtimes to be fun and relaxing.

--
Melissa (in Los Angeles)
Mum to Elizabeth 4/13/03

Old September 23rd 03, 09:13 PM
hobbes

"Melissa" wrote in message
I'm in the process of reading Super Baby Food and I have several questions
for you all because I want to know if the diet is (a) realistic and (b)
worthwhile.

First off, have any of you done this diet? If so, was it worth it or

should
I pull out the best ideas from the book and use my own judgement.

Well, I read and used the book, but I didn't follow her decrees to the
letter. I agree that she comes from the perspective of a bottle-feeder
(which seemed strange to me for someone who was so militant about what she
fed her kids), and my schedule didn't match hers at all.

I did want to make my own cereal using her recipes, and found it pretty easy
to do. I didn't, however, feel the need to give DS suppliments at that young
an age. He was still nursing a lot and I felt that the foods I was giving
him were really well-balanced. I didn't start giving him suppliments until
he became picky about foods and wasn't nursing very often, because I was
concerned about possible "gaps." But that's something to review with your
doctor. There are some organic cereals out there, but I liked having more
control over what DS ate.

I liked certain suggestions the author gave, and I think DS ate much
healthier foods than most of his peers because of the ideas I got from the
book. Until he had the ability to pick and choose, that is . . . enjoy the
control you have now, because it goes out the window come toddlerhood! I
followed the idea of a cereal-based breakfast, yogurt-based lunch; and I
liked her "healthy additions" suggestions, as well as the food charts and
section on fruits & vegetables.

So I guess I'm saying use your own judgement. I don't think her militant
attitude towards her children's foods is healthy (well, it's very healthy,
but I worry about causing food issues when you get that obsessed). Meals
should be fun and relaxed.

--
Jodi
SAHM to Oliver (2 years, 7 months) & Arwen (5 months)

Old September 26th 03, 06:38 AM
~gwyn

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 15:24:46 GMT, "Melissa"
wrote:

I'm in the process of reading Super Baby Food and I have several questions
for you all because I want to know if the diet is (a) realistic and (b)
worthwhile.

First off, have any of you done this diet? If so, was it worth it or should
I pull out the best ideas from the book and use my own judgement.

Pull out the best ideas and use your own judgement. I found a lot of
worthwhile information in that book. TBH, it hasn't been consulted
much since DS gave up on purees but I plan on taking another look at
it tonight. I didn't bother making my own cereal but I made tons of
purees. I really liked the monthly list of new foods to try - I was
disappointed when we came to the end of those. I keep froz steamed
vegies on hand but DS's current diet needs some help. Cereal and
fruit for breakfast, sandwich or left-overs for lunch and then
whatever we're having for dinner plus fruit and crackers during the
day. I'd like to add more healthy extras and variety.

~gwyn
Old September 26th 03, 03:36 PM
Tracy Cramer

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 15:24:46 GMT, "Melissa" wrote:

I'm in the process of reading Super Baby Food and I have several questions
for you all because I want to know if the diet is (a) realistic and (b)
worthwhile.

First off, have any of you done this diet? If so, was it worth it or should
I pull out the best ideas from the book and use my own judgement.

I bought the book when our youngest was under a year and loved it. I certainly
didn't follow everything the author said to the letter, but I thought the book
definitely helped me feed DD#2 better. I don't see much wrong with jarred baby
food, but I had the time to make stuff from scratch and it was sort of fun, and
this way saved a load of money.

My main issue with the book, so far, is that although she goes on (and on
and on) about organic and fresh, she seems to gear everything towards a
formula fed baby who starts solids at four months.

This was my biggest gripe about the book. I got really ticked at how she went on
and on (oh, yeah, and on and on!) about buying organic, blah, blah, blah, but
then was so wishy-washy about a baby having formula. I even wrote to the author
via her web page and asked for an explanation about that, but never got an
answer. It seems to me that it was just a way to make sure not to offend the
folks that use formula so that they'd buy her book.

I'm thinking supplements are supplements so
whether they're in a store bought cereal or added to my own cereal, rice
cereal is rice cereal. Am I wrong here or am I missing something?

I can't stand store-bought rice cereal. It's so bland! Even mixed with
breastmilk, it's not appealing at all. I made DD#2 the rice cereal from the
recipe in the book and she *loved* it. She'd eat that happily on its own, but
she really went crazy for it when I mashed in a banana. I would grind up a bag
of the organic rice and store it in a container in the fridge, then every three
days or so, cook up a batch, put it in little containers and heat each serving
in the microwave as needed. It was really almost as easy as making the stuff
from the box.

TIA. I want to do what's best for DD and do plan to make most of her food
myself, but I also don't want to get psycho about this stuff and want
mealtimes to be fun and relaxing.

I think there are some really great recipes in that book. I certainly am not one
to follow anything 100% -- instead, I take what I like and discard the rest. The
one thing that really didn't sit well with me (besides the easy acceptance of
formula use) was the whole kids-don't-need-meat thing. Maybe they don't.
However, our family eats meat and so that was something I went "pffft" to and
moved on.

Tracy

We child proofed our home 3 years ago
and they're still getting in!