Comfort sucking/fussiness before sleep

Old October 1st 03, 12:33 AM
All4meUC

Default Comfort sucking/fussiness before sleep

My two month old has aquired the habit of being extremely fussy before he falls
asleep. He is begining to be more aware of his sorroundings and I wondered if
the fussiness was related to or caused by all the stimulation. He usually
falls asleep peacefully during the day, but at the end of the day around 7 or 8
he becomes quite cranky. We wander about the house feeding and fussing and
sleeping a few short minutes here and there. During this time if not too fussy
he gets a bath (which he is finally starting to enjoy). Around 10, we lay down
for the night.

He nurses for a good long time, sometimes making noises and kicking his feet.
I know he is comfort sucking in the worst way, and he won't take a pacifier so
i just let him. Eventually he will let go and just cry. Its a different
sounding cry, almost frustrated sounding, and then tapers off into much lighter
cries and gurggles. I keep re-offering him a breast as long he'll take it, talk
to him softly, and pat his back to soothe him but it seems he just has to cry
before falling asleep at night.
He wakes up to nurse at night and usually falls right back asleep, and is very
happy in the morning.

I guess it just worries me because I feel so helpless. Nothing I do will make
him stop the crying until he falls asleep.
~Tracy
Old October 1st 03, 05:04 AM
Sue

My oldest daughter had to cry and fuss a bit before she could relax to go to
sleep. It sounds like your baby is overtired and perhaps you need to start
the process of getting him to sleep a little earlier. By the end of the
night, my oldest was overstimulated. I would turn off all the lights ( a dim
light was kept on), no TV and sometimes feed and rock, but most of the time
I had to lay her down and let her do her little fussy thing before she would
go to sleep.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old October 2nd 03, 05:22 AM
toypup

"Sue" wrote in message
My oldest daughter had to cry and fuss a bit before she could relax to go

sleep. It sounds like your baby is overtired and perhaps you need to start
the process of getting him to sleep a little earlier. By the end of the
night, my oldest was overstimulated. I would turn off all the lights ( a

dim
light was kept on), no TV and sometimes feed and rock, but most of the

time
I had to lay her down and let her do her little fussy thing before she

would
go to sleep.

I agree. It does sound like OP's baby is overtired.