Hindmilk

Old October 16th 03, 09:46 PM
Alison

Default Hindmilk

My 4 month old ds seems to have decided that he only likes really fast
flowing milk and yanks n pulls n squeaks n kicks n punches until he gets
changed to the other side. I'm concerned cos this happens after about 5
mins max and (following other post) I'm trying to work on 'finish first
breast first' so that I know he's getting hindmilk. I'm not sure that he'll
be getting hindmilk at just 5 mins. He feeds almost 2 hourly during the day
with one longer 3ish stretch but sleeps from 7pm til 6am overnight. So we
do 6 feeds a day, each about 15 mins max. I'd heard that too much foremilk
can give babies wind/gas and he can purmp for Scotland!! Any thoughts?
Experiences?

--Alison

Old October 16th 03, 09:57 PM
Lucy

"Alison" o.uk wrote in
message ...
My 4 month old ds seems to have decided that he only likes really fast
flowing milk and yanks n pulls n squeaks n kicks n punches until he gets
changed to the other side. I'm concerned cos this happens after about 5
mins max and (following other post) I'm trying to work on 'finish first
breast first' so that I know he's getting hindmilk. I'm not sure that

he'll
be getting hindmilk at just 5 mins.

At 4 months, he's probably getting hindmilk after a minute or two. Do you
feel letdown at all? (Some women do, some don't)

If I were you, I'd change him to the other side when he wants it. You can't
really force him to eat more from that breast if it's not what he wants.

See how he does. If he starts showing signs of too much foremilk, such as
green poops, then maybe rethink.

Lucy

Old October 17th 03, 12:30 AM
Phoebe & Allyson

Alison wrote:

My 4 month old ds seems to have decided that he only likes really fast
flowing milk and yanks n pulls n squeaks n kicks n punches until he gets
changed to the other side. I'm concerned cos this happens after about 5
mins max and (following other post) I'm trying to work on 'finish first
breast first' so that I know he's getting hindmilk.

He's fine. Caterpillar only nurses about 5 minutes on a
side (and I don't normally offer a second side). No green
diapers here, so all must be well.

Phoebe
--
yahoo address is unread - substitute mailbolt

Old October 17th 03, 04:54 AM
Nikki

Alison wrote:
My 4 month old ds seems to have decided that he only likes really fast
flowing milk and yanks n pulls n squeaks n kicks n punches until he
gets changed to the other side. I'm concerned cos this happens after
about 5 mins max and (following other post) I'm trying to work on
'finish first breast first' so that I know he's getting hindmilk.

I don't think this is much of a concern at 4 months. By four months the
supply/demand is generally fine tuned and the baby gets the good stuff in
just minutes. I'd follow his lead.

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old October 18th 03, 12:44 AM
KC

I always seem to get some hind milk right away when I pump, meaning my
milk is never watery, so I think it varies and not all have to worry
about staying on longer to get hind milk.

KC -
buy or rent Whittlestone Breast Expressers at:
http://www.alittlestore.com

Old October 24th 03, 10:28 AM
Mogget

In message , Phoebe & Allyson
writes

He's fine. Caterpillar only nurses about 5 minutes on a side (and I
don't normally offer a second side). No green diapers here, so all
must be well.

Hmmm, I hadn't heard about green diapers. What do they mean, please?
--
Mogget, the Churl in the Puce Greatcoat
Old October 24th 03, 01:39 PM
Chookie

In article ,
Mogget wrote:

He's fine. Caterpillar only nurses about 5 minutes on a side (and I
don't normally offer a second side). No green diapers here, so all
must be well.

Hmmm, I hadn't heard about green diapers. What do they mean, please?

They MAY mean that lactose is fermenting in the large intestine, which causes
wind and green poo. Now, why would there be lactose fermenting in the large
intestine? Because the baby has taken in so much lactose (which occurs in the
foremilk) that it could not be completely digested in the small intestine.
This condition is called foremilk-hindmilk imbalance.

Caterpillar's brief feeds might possibly cause such a problem but from what
I've seen here, foremilk-hindmilk imbalance is much less common than green
poos. When it does occur, the poos are (I believe) *consistently* green and
frothy, and the baby has wind and sometimes doesn't put on weight well (due to
not getting the fattier hindmilk).

Now I hope I got that all right... refinements, anyone?

ANd I'll just put in my usual caveat at the end: foremilk and hindmilk are
not two separate milks that switch from the former to the latter at some point
during the feed. They are relative terms: the milk starts off more watery
and sugary and ends up more fatty. It's an amazing system!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Jeez; if only those Ancient Greek storytellers had known about the astonishing
creature that is the *Usenet hydra*: you cut off one head, and *a stupider one*
grows back..." -- MJ, cam.misc