Liquids other than breastmilk

Old January 10th 04, 10:00 PM
Alison

Default Liquids other than breastmilk

Touched on in my vent post - orange juice.

I'm sure that I've read somewhere that citrus juices should be avoided. Can
anyone confirm or deny? I'm sure also that our dentist recommends only
water or milk up to the age of 5 (that'll be fun!!) but I need to double
check that cos I read the literature when I was preggers and my mind might
have got it all wrong.

--Alison

Old January 10th 04, 10:48 PM
Nina

"Alison" o.uk wrote in
message ...
Touched on in my vent post - orange juice.

I'm sure that I've read somewhere that citrus juices should be avoided.

Can
anyone confirm or deny?

confirmed

Old January 11th 04, 06:34 AM
HollyLewis

I'm sure that I've read somewhere that citrus juices should be avoided. Can
anyone confirm or deny? I'm sure also that our dentist recommends only
water or milk up to the age of 5 (that'll be fun!!) but I need to double
check that cos I read the literature when I was preggers and my mind might
have got it all wrong.

--Alison

Citrus in general should be avoided until about 1 year. It's less an allergy
problem, as far as I know, than a potential problem with the acidity. Can
cause horrible diaper rashes.

Juice in general should be very limited -- US pediatric guidelines say no more
than 6 ounces a day, or something like that, for children, and less than that
for babies. This is because juice has little to no nutritional value, and kids
tend to like it so much that they'll over-indulge in it and not have room for
more nutritious foods. I think it would be near impossible to prevent your
child from having *any* juice until age 5, but it's best if it's a treat rather
than an everyday thing, and it's a good idea to dilute it with water.

Holly
Mom to Camden, almost 3
EDD #2 6/8/04