OT- One year old hates milk

Old February 9th 04, 03:15 AM
All4meUC

Default OT- One year old hates milk

I'm posting this enquiry for a friend. Her daughter recently turned one year
and the doctor is encouraging her to switch to whole milk. Baby was breastfed
exclusively for 8 months and then bf and formula up to a year. Mother had a
terrible bought with the flu just before baby's first birthday and discontinued
breastfeeding at that time.

She is having a very difficult time getting her daughter to switch from formula
to whole milk, baby just doesn't like it. She eats solids but her main
nutrition up to this point has basically been breastmilk or formula. Mother is
concerned that her daughter won't be receiving proper nutrition if she stops
giving formula. What is the best way to convince baby to drink the milk? Should
she try bottles of half formula half milk?? Are there foods that she could feed
to make up for the lack of calcium and vit. D if baby will not drink milk?

Thanks for your advice.
~Tracy

Old February 9th 04, 03:18 AM
Leslie

IMO, if she is still getting most of her nutrition from the formula, I wouldn't
replace it until she eats a more balanced solid diet. Then, I would offer
bottles of mixed milk, a little more cows mild each time.

She might also try offering the cows milk in a cup instead of a bottle.

Leslie
Old February 9th 04, 04:00 AM
Nina

"All4meUC" wrote in message
[...]

I'd continue formula for a while.

Old February 9th 04, 04:33 AM
Dawn Lawson

All4meUC wrote:

She is having a very difficult time getting her daughter to switch from formula
to whole milk, baby just doesn't like it.

Try adding a little vanilla extract to the milk, and warming it, if she
doesn't want to keep on the formula as i've seen a couple reponses
suggest she does.

dawn

Old February 9th 04, 03:21 PM
Clisby

All4meUC wrote:
[...]

If the baby isn't eating a balanced diet of solids yet, I'd keet her on
formula for awhile. I mostly formula-fed my first child, and I gave
her formula until she was almost 15 months old - partly because she
didn't eat much solids until then, and partly because she, too,
preferred formula to cow's milk.

As far as switching goes - both breastmilk and formula are a lot sweeter
than cow's milk, so sweetening the cow's milk might help. My son
wouldn't touch cow's milk until I started adding a little chocolate
syrup to it. Once he got used to that, I gradually cut back on the
syrup, and now he likes the plain milk. Or, as Dawn suggested, you
might try adding a little vanilla.

Clisby

Old February 9th 04, 06:33 PM
Beth Kevles

Hi -

Once your child is eating a reasonably varied diet, then you can switch
from formula to cow's milk. TO get your child to take the cow's milk,
make bottles first of 3/4 formula and 1/4 cow's milk. Then move to 1/2
formula, half cow's milk. Continue until you've eliminated the formula
from the bottles.

Of course, milk is not an essential part of the human diet, just a very
useful one. There are plenty of other sources of protein (meat,
poultry, fish, beans), calcium (other dairy products such as cheese and
yogurt, canned fish with the bones included, legumes, nuts), and vitamin
D (fish oils, sunlight).

If your child was drinking a soy formula rather than a milk formula, you
may wish to continue delaying the introduction of milk proteins (unless,
of course, other dairy products have already been introduced) but if
your child is drinking a milk-based formula, then you should have no
worries.

I hope this helps,
--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.