Baby sleeps while nursing! HELP!

Old October 2nd 06, 09:08 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Familie Knots

Default Baby sleeps while nursing! HELP!

Hi again..

Here we are.... still trying to breastfeed and having thousand troubles
on the way....
One of those is that, my little one sleeps after 1 minute nursing!... i
try and try and try to keep him awake but nothing works..
So i take him away.. he "wakes" up a little and as soon as he goes back to
my breast sleeps again.... so he is not really nursing much. he stays for
an hour and sometimes even longer nursing but, the most of the time is
sleeping!!... of course his mum..... (so.. ME) cant sleep and that part is
driving me nuts... my oldest son (3,5years old) needs also attention, my
husband is working at day and well..... mummy gets more and more tired...

So, cause the little one only nurses "a bit" he keeps hungry.... than
after an hour or longer i give him some formula cause i also need a brake
and so till next time...

At least now my nipples arent in pain like they were for the irst 10
days... THANKYOU alot to the people who helped and sent those helpfull
links!... It seems that my breast have some milk now but well. if he
doesnt drinks and/or stimulates wont go really better...

Any advice?

Oh i almost forgot... the part of letting him cry alot so im sure he is
"very awake" is neither working..... he sleeps anyway!

Greetings
Carolina

Old October 2nd 06, 04:38 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
KR

Both my girls were like this, I just tried to keep both of them on the
breast as long as possible. This sleepy phase will pass before you
know it! My 2.5 year old didn't seem to mind much that I was
constantly nursing DD#2, I would read to her, and play with her as best
I could while the baby nursed away! She understood that the baby
needed my "special milk" and was very interested in it and the fact
that she had the same "special milk."

I would, though, stop giving formula. Can you perhaps rent an electric
dual pump and use that to stimulate your breasts and make a bottle for
the baby? Most people here will agree that using formula will
eventually lead to supply issues, and poof! Your milk is gone and baby
is purely formula fed!

Best of luck, I really hope your baby wakes up soon!

KR

Old October 2nd 06, 06:23 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Familie Knots

Thanks KP.

I was of course thinking to stop with formula bit he has some issues like...
shaking very obviously and perhaps having his sugars too low (as far as i
heard at hospital) so.. im concerned he doesnt gets enough and that it turns
in a serieus problem......

Oh man.... If all was a bit easier=)

Thanks anyway... i gotta go soon to the kitchen or wont be dinner at table
tonight=)

Greetings
Carolina

"KR" schreef in bericht
ups.com...

Old October 2nd 06, 11:33 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Larissa In Aus

You are still battling on good on you!

It is hard to keep the little ones awake when they are so young. You could
try tickling his feet unwrap him a little, change positions, change his
nappy/diaper before switching sides. It is hard, but it gets easier as he
grows.

I don't know about the shaking you mention. Perhaps you should talk to
your doctor about this. I think low sugar levels can happen shortly after
birth but I do not know anything about it at this age.

He seems keen to suck which is a good thing and will keep up your supply.
Any chance of having a nap with your older child to help get some extra
sleep.

Larissa
mum to
DD 99
DS 01
DD2 03
Old October 3rd 06, 07:16 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Irrational Number

Familie Knots wrote:

Here we are.... still trying to breastfeed and having thousand troubles
on the way....

Good for you!

One of those is that, my little one sleeps after 1 minute nursing!... i
try and try and try to keep him awake but nothing works..

This is normal, too. What I did was play with
baby's feet, play with hands, stroke the face,
walk around, turn up the TV, talk to baby. Anything
to keep baby awake!

-- Anita --
Old October 3rd 06, 06:26 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
cjra

Irrational Number wrote:
Familie Knots wrote:

Here we are.... still trying to breastfeed and having thousand troubles
on the way....

Good for you!

One of those is that, my little one sleeps after 1 minute nursing!... i
try and try and try to keep him awake but nothing works..

This is normal, too. What I did was play with
baby's feet, play with hands, stroke the face,
walk around, turn up the TV, talk to baby. Anything
to keep baby awake!

DD did that a lot at first and still does occassionally. I tickle her
cheeks and it gets her sucking. She doesn't wake up - at least not til
I move her, but she keeps sucking.