a surprise birth!

Old September 1st 04, 02:28 AM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Default a surprise birth!

Maxim came into the world today! Yep, today! 12:13 am on a full moon.
He weight in at 9 pounds 12 ounces, and I forget his length (but it's
pretty long). He's a big boy!

The birth story, plus gory details... ;-)
I was supposed to go in on Monday to see an OB and possibly get started
on an induction. This OB is supposed to be a low interventionist type,
but he was afraid that the baby was too large for me to deliver
vaginally, so he told me to go straight to the hospital and they would
get started. The plan was to place something beside the cervix and get
it going that way, if possible, and then switch to oxytocin the next day
if necessary.

Well... I got to the hospital, went to the washroom, and my water broke
right there while I was sitting on the toilet. Heh heh, oops. ;-) The
OB hadn't even arrived, yet (he wasn't going to get there until noon and
we were there at around 10:30ish am). My water broke at 11:40am. That
started the clock ticking. Maybe a half an hour after that, I started
having contractions. They went on for a good couple of hours, and then
the OB *finally* showed up ;-) and said that they would start oxytocin
anyway, just to get things moving a little faster. I agreed to a low
dose, not knowing what this would do. (turns out that it didn't really
do anything but make the contractions come a little faster and last a
little longer - intensity wasn't really affected, that I could tell).

So they hooked me up, and away everyone went. I sent DH home for more
stuff (we had brought stuff, just in case, but not everything), which
was a mistake. I should have told him to call the midwife first, and
then go, because being alone was a bad idea. Since DH had to rely on
public transportation, it took him FOR EVER to finally come back, and by
then I was really starting to have noticeable (i.e. couldn't talk
through) contractions. Also, they had just finished doing an emergency
c-section on some poor woman who had a 2 hour, yes a 2 hour labour - she
went from start to 10 cm in two hours, and had a breech baby. That
woman screamed more than her kid did. Each and every scream was full of
nothing but begging and pleading for them to just knock her out. Also,
some girl showed up and was crying because she thought she was losing
her baby. Oh, and then there were the premature twins who had to be
airlifted away... Yes, I was *really* upset that no one was there with
me! I had no idea that I would progress so quickly.

They had me hooked up to monitors, and it was only supposed to be
temporary. However, when that poor 2 hour labour woman showed up, they
called *all* of the nurses in the area away, including mine, who never
came back. I was sitting there, wondering what the hell to do. I
desperately wanted to get up and phone DH (the phone was in the middle
of the room, and this was a big room). Eventually, I just unhooked
myself, found someone to help me unplug my stupid IV machine (it was
plugged into the wall because the battery was dead, and I couldn't reach
the cord without tugging on stuff), and phoned DH. Turns out that he
was right at the hospital entrance, which was a relief. It also turned
out that my nurse was glad that I simply unhooked myself. She was
worried about me, but she couldn't leave the other woman, who was
definitely not doing very well at that time.

Well anyway, once DH was there, he *never* left again. ;-) I wouldn't
let him. We also called the midwife, who showed up and was great.

I told them that I had decided to go for the epidural (as I'm sure
people here guessed I would do). This was one weird thing... They
wouldn't set it up in advance. The anesthesiologists prefer to be
notified in advance, but I guess the people on call that day (i.e. my
nurse, in particular, and to some extent my midwife) wouldn't notify
them. My contractions started getting pretty bad, and I started
becoming more insistent about getting the epidural. The nurse told me
that they *always* do nubain first, so I said "Fine, do it and get it
over with." They did it, it had zero effect, but it did at least make
me groggy between contractions (not that that helped, mind you).

I started to become pretty bitchy about that epidural. My contractions
were requiring very much of my attention, I was tired, and I was simply
uninterested in experiencing this pain. I wasn't ready. They kept
getting bitchy back towards me, though, sometimes even including DH (I
wasn't sure why, since he had promised to be my advocate - I'll have to
have a talk with him when we're both a little less tired). Well luckily
for me, a shift change eventually occurred, and the new nurse set
everything up right away. In fact, she was ticked that the other nurse
hadn't set things up, and she promised to investigate. I got bitchy
towards this new nurse, too, and she was *really* bitchy right back. ;-)
I didn't really mind, though, because I wasn't behaving normally and
no one deserved to have me speaking to them so viciously.

Anyway, the anesthesiologist showed up, did his thing, and life suddenly
changed completely for me. My contractions were previously of the type
where I was making very high pitched noises and was breathing very
heavily and rapidly through them, squeezing DH's hand the whole while
and squinting my eyes shut (so that I could focus on absolutely
nothing), but once that epidural kicked in, I no longer felt the pain of
the contractions. The epidural actually didn't work 100%, but I
actually found that to be a good thing. I could still feel pain on the
right labia, so I knew everything that was going on. I lost all urge to
push, though there was no guarantee that I would have had it in the
first place. I pushed voluntarily, and after 12 hours of labour (maybe
40ish minutes of pushing), Max came flying out. I had a lot of tearing
and an episiotomy. I had not wanted an episiotomy, but the OB was
certain that I would tear very badly otherwise, so I figured that I
would get the episiotomy on the dead side. ;-) Now, of course, it's
the episiotomy that bugs me the most. My midwife told me afterwards
that she would have gone for the episiotomy, too, which kind of
surprised me. I started tearing in a really bad, *sensitive* spot,
ahem... That might be why they suggested the episiotomy. I ended up
with one stitch in that sensitive spot. :-(

I had no problems with my pubic bone! However, the symptoms from before
are ongoing, but they are less of a problem now that there isn't a
zillion pounds of baby there. ;-) Max is a big boy, and the placenta
apparently wasn't far behind him in size and weight.

So Max is doing really well. He's a generally very quiet and content
baby who is happy to look at the world (with the odd look of disgust,
which is funny as heck). He only cries when he has a dirty diaper, when
someone is disturbing him (like by giving him a bath or trying to dress
him), or when he is cold. He doesn't cry when hungry (maybe it's just
because I recognize the signals, so I always catch him before he cries).
He *loves* to look out windows, but he hates bright lights. He is a
real sweetie. We love him like crazy. I will have some pics of him he
http://individual.utoronto.ca/taz

I was going to put pics up right away, but I'm too tired. It will have
to wait until tomorrow, likely. There will be stuff there, though. I
promise. :-) He's too cute to keep to ourselves, so we have to share
some pics.

Old September 1st 04, 03:21 AM
Christina

"Vicky Bilaniuk" wrote

Maxim came into the world today! Yep, today!

Well, congratulations! Little Max shares a birthday with me!
Lucky boy, he will never have to go to school on his birthday.

Congratulations to you and the whole family - sounds like
everything went really well. And welcome to the world, little
Max!

Christina
mom to DS, 2.75 yrs
and Version 2.0, edd late April 05

Old September 1st 04, 03:23 AM
Tori M.

"Vicky Bilaniuk" wrote in message
. ..
Maxim came into the world today! Yep, today! 12:13 am on a full moon.
He weight in at 9 pounds 12 ounces, and I forget his length (but it's
pretty long). He's a big boy!

Congrats! I loved my epidural as well They dont do them at the hospital
I am birthing at.. yet. They will have them by Oct. but the nurse at the
hospital said I should do well with an intrathecal.. I am hoping she is
right.. Anyway congrats on your little boy!

Tori

--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Xavier due 10/17/04

Old September 1st 04, 03:30 AM
Nan

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 21:28:17 -0400, Vicky Bilaniuk
scribbled:

So Max is doing really well. He's a generally very quiet and content
baby who is happy to look at the world (with the odd look of disgust,
which is funny as heck). He only cries when he has a dirty diaper, when
someone is disturbing him (like by giving him a bath or trying to dress
him), or when he is cold. He doesn't cry when hungry (maybe it's just
because I recognize the signals, so I always catch him before he cries).
He *loves* to look out windows, but he hates bright lights. He is a
real sweetie. We love him like crazy. I will have some pics of him he
http://individual.utoronto.ca/taz

Congratulations!!!!!

Nan
Old September 1st 04, 03:52 AM
Mamma Mia

congrats vicki, and welcome maxim.

you were darn unlucky to have so many other high needs women in the hospital
at the same time?

anyway, love a good result! well done!@

Old September 1st 04, 03:54 AM
Cam & Shane

Congratulations Vicky!!! And thank you for sharing your story so soon after
your birth!! I can't wait to see the photos. Cool name too!!

Take care
Camille & Aiden

---

Old September 1st 04, 04:08 AM
shixa

Wow finally! Congratulations!!!

What a great name!
:-)

Carla
Mom to Victor Paul born 5.16.04
www.victorpictures.com --See him here!
Old September 1st 04, 04:20 AM
Nancy P.

"Vicky Bilaniuk" wrote in message
. ..
Maxim came into the world today! Yep, today! 12:13 am on a full moon.
He weight in at 9 pounds 12 ounces, and I forget his length (but it's
pretty long). He's a big boy!

Congratulations!

Nancy

Old September 1st 04, 04:23 AM
Unadulterated Me

Vicky Bilaniuk wrote:

Maxim came into the world today! Yep, today! 12:13 am on a full moon.
He weight in at 9 pounds 12 ounces, and I forget his length (but it's
pretty long). He's a big boy!

Congratulations Vicky and welcome earthside Maxim :-)

Andrea