(For parents of adolescents) Teen periods question

Old August 25th 06, 06:01 PM posted to misc.kids
[email protected]

Default (For parents of adolescents) Teen periods question

Hey. It's been a long time since I've actually posted a question here!

My daughter's 14 1/2 now. She finally started having periods back in
the spring. She had three very regular periods (April/May/June), and
then hasn't had one since. I know that it's common for periods to be
irregular at first, but does this sort of pattern fall into the
'normal' irregular range?

(I know that *I* was extremely irregular as a teen ... and as an adult,
but I don't remember the exact pattern in those first few years. I
also have PCOS, so I want to be alert for signs of similar issues in
her [my mother still feels TERRIBLY guilty that she didn't recognize
that my irregular cycles were a sign of a problem ... not that they
could have/would have done anything about it in the 1970's] She is
definitely taking after me in many ways -- including the tendency to be
thin, but gain weight around the middle.)

Thanks.

Naomi

Old August 26th 06, 02:53 AM posted to misc.kids
Mel

wrote:
[...]

My daughter is almost 15 and began her cycles 3 1/2 years ago. She
still is not real regular, but still has her periods every month...we
just don't know exactly when it will be. If you have a history of PCOS
you may want to make an appointment for her to see a dr and talk about
your/her options. I do know some girls will skip several months at a
time, especially if they are very thin. In my opinion it is better to
be safe and discuss it with a dr than to be sorry later that you
overlooked something.

Old August 27th 06, 02:56 AM posted to misc.kids
PattyMomVA

wrote and I snipped:
My daughter's 14 1/2 now. She finally started having periods back in
the spring. She had three very regular periods (April/May/June), and
then hasn't had one since.

It was recently suggested to me by a pediatrician that teens who have
regular periods that then become irregular should have their thyroid
checked. I'm sorry that I have no more information than that and don't even
know what she was getting at.

-Patty, mom of 1+2

Another child killed in kincare Kane General 39 February 12th 04 06:55 PM
Kids should work... bobb General 108 December 15th 03 03:23 PM
And again he strikes........ Doan strikes ...... again! was Kids should work... Kane General 2 December 6th 03 03:28 AM